Dragging rear brake. Calliper rebuild

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Bikergonebald
New
Drives: 2004 1.2 Twist

Dragging rear brake. Calliper rebuild

Post by Bikergonebald »

One of my rear disc brakes is dragging. I’ve taken the calliper off and cleaned lubed the slider pins and the pads and squeal shims etc. When I put it back together as soon as I operate the handbrake it drags again.
I forgot to check if the foot brake makes it bind and I’ve put it back together now.

Are calliper rebuild kits available and would I need special tools or should I just get a calliper?

Thanks
Kevin
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Dragging rear brake. Calliper rebuild

Post by RUM4MO »

Bigg Red should be able to supply a service kit, though you might need to check the piston diameter first as I think that there were a couple of sizes used.

Have you been zeroing the piston before refitting the pads, ie rewinding the pistons fully.

One other thing, I bought my wife a new Polo 1.4 16V SE in September 2002, ie a late August factory build order, within a year one side, the RHS started dragging, VW would have replaced the calliper for me but I chose to fit external lever return springs, the best fit is springs from the original VW Sharan, that keeps or makes sure that the levers are fully returned to the stop on the calliper body, so that worked over the next 12 years until I bought her a new factory order 1.2TSI 110PS SEL in August 2015, and the first thing I did to it was fit new external springs to it - just in case!