non dazzle rear view mirror

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
scotspie501
Getting There!
Drives: 2002

non dazzle rear view mirror

Post by scotspie501 »

Hi All

My son is looking for a rear view clip on mirror that provides non dazzle from cars behind

we all got modern cars so if anyone could advise would be great
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: non dazzle rear view mirror

Post by RUM4MO »

I spec'd my wife's previous Polo, a 2002 1.4 SE 16V, delivered new in October 2002, with the auto dip mirror and auto front wipers, these things worked well, so maybe a challenge would be to retro fit that option using used and new parts. It will not be cheap to do but will give him what he wants. Also, I think that some where/one was selling a complete aftermarket retro fit kit, maybe just for the auto dip mirror.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Lucky you! My 9N is Sept 2002 and has the toggle to dip.

Glare still comes via door mirrors (I'd like them to be non-dazzle) and the stupid design of SUV's with overly bright LED lamps at drivers eye level.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

littlepolo wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:26 pm Lucky you! My 9N is Sept 2002 and has the toggle to dip.

Glare still comes via door mirrors (I'd like them to be non-dazzle) and the stupid design of SUV's with overly bright LED lamps at drivers eye level.
That 2002 Polo 1.4 SE was a personal import, so options were relatively cheap when compared with cars supplied via VW UK, so I sort of went mad with options.
My old May 2000 VW Passat 4Motion was also a personal import, I would never have paid VW UK the money they wanted for that car, the auto dip rear mirror on it "sprung" a leak after about 10 years, so the rear view mirror become unusable, so I needed to buy a later version from VW.
One stupid thing with my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS is the illumination from the lights switch shines on the door glass and from where I have the driver's seat positioned, it appears to be in the centre of the door mounted mirror, so that is annoying when driving in the dark - a slight design error I think.
scotspie501
Getting There!
Drives: 2002

Post by scotspie501 »

Hi All

I was walking pass my sons car and happened to notice he had a anti dazzle mirror fitted as standard but he did,nt know how it worked

I just took his word that he did,nt have one

you do forget how older cars worked ,thanks for all your help on this one
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

The original auto dipping rear view mirror in my 2000 VW Passat 4Motion had no ON/OFF switch, and I tended to, now and again, find when driving in town at light, that my rearward vision was being impaired by that mirror responding to following traffic's headlights. When that mirror leaked and so failed, I deliberately chose to replace it with the version from the next model of Passat as it came with an ON/OFF switch - as well as a downwards pointing red LED which was described as something like "warm ambiance" function! That solved my issue/worry about "losing/missing" following cars in darkness that had either only pathetic side lights or no lights in town in the hours of darkness.