Cold starting problem

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
jonnow
New
Drives: 2003 Polo IV 1.2 Petrol

Cold starting problem

Post by jonnow »

Hi, I have a 2003 1.2 petrol 9N Polo. I am really struggling with a cold starting problem. When I come to start it from cold, it cranks over quite happily, but takes many turns of the key before it catches- it sounds like it’s coughing and spluttering before it finally starts. Once warm, it runs great and I can stop/start fine. I have changed all three coil packs and checked the spark plugs, and the plugs aren’t that old (but look v oiled). I cleaned the plugs with a blow torch and it started first time. I have also replaced the water temp sensor, but that didn’t make any difference (though I am worrying if the non-Oem sensor that I bought could have been defective?). I’m running out of things to check or replace. Any ideas/
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: Cold starting problem

Post by littlepolo »

Did you have a look at the air mass meter on the inlet plenum?

It might need clean or replace. You can disconnect and see how it starts/runes (it would be a bit lumpy on a default fuel map)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

If the plugs are all very oily then the valve guides will be worn, a common issue with that engine when it has lots of miles under its belt, if you check the compression you will probably find that it is a lot lower than when at a lower mileage. The easiest fix is normally to buy the cylinder head from a lower mileage engine and swop heads.
Johntheo1
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 MK10 AW1

Post by Johntheo1 »

Might also be a faulty PCV or a crack in one of its lines.
jonnow
New
Drives: 2003 Polo IV 1.2 Petrol

Post by jonnow »

the faulty PCV valve idea is interesting - Im going to look into that - and will report back. I don't think its the valves as it runs really sweetly when its up to speed..? Is it easy to diagnose / test the PCV valve?
Jonathan
Johntheo1
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 MK10 AW1

Post by Johntheo1 »

jonnow wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:40 pm the faulty PCV valve idea is interesting - Im going to look into that - and will report back. I don't think its the valves as it runs really sweetly when its up to speed..? Is it easy to diagnose / test the PCV valve?
Jonathan
This may help. Search in file for Crankcase Breather or Diaphragm valve.
There is a non return valve in the air intake line to this diaphragm valve so relatively easy to check but don't think this is your problem.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_263_d1.pdf
JUUL
Getting There!
Drives: 6N 1995

Post by JUUL »

Johntheo1 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:24 am
jonnow wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:40 pm the faulty PCV valve idea is interesting - Im going to look into that - and will report back. I don't think its the valves as it runs really sweetly when its up to speed..? Is it easy to diagnose / test the PCV valve?
Jonathan
This may help. Search in file for Crankcase Breather or Diaphragm valve.
There is a non return valve in the air intake line to this diaphragm valve so relatively easy to check but don't think this is your problem.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_263_d1.pdf
Good tip! Make sure you check the EGR as well. The valve could be faulty or the piping could be clogged. This system gives the engine more air when cold, so this might explain why it runs rough when cold and fine when warm. So it needs to be clean :mrgreen:

Harrywilson
New
Drives: vw polo 2013

Post by Harrywilson »

Strangely, there is usually a similar problem with spark plugs. If you have checked everything, then perhaps you should check a whole complex of devices - an electric or mechanical gas pump, an injector or carburetor, a filter, and fuel lines. Perhaps a bad gas mixture or gasoline does not mix well in the air. Most likely the problem is in the fuel system, you can also look at the air intake, maybe it is dirty. I had a similar problem with the Dodge, I had to change the air intake well and there are https://nashvilleperformance.com/cold-a ... 6-duramax/ many options Best Cold Air Intake for 6.6 Duramax for replacement.