More Power?

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
kash
New

More Power?

Post by kash »

Last night while I was cleaning the MAF on my 9n PD100, I noticed a trumpet/tube which clips onto the inside of the upper half of the airbox, it looked like it was restricting the airflow a bit to me so I took it off. I drove the car to work this morning and felt the engine pulling noticably harder. Has anybody else come across this part, or donre the same thing as me? Was it a bad idea to take it off and what purpose does it serve?
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

probably best to look inside it and see if you can spot any filters or etc that might be in there (as your engine will after all pull quite a bit harder without a filter in the way... until it clogs with dirt) ... if not then id say its safe to assume you've just removed a part thats probably known as an "intake restrictor" or somesuch :) one of those things thats used to just pull an engine underneath certain tax bands based on output (certain countries..) whilst not disturbing the rest of its highly tuned setup
jtstatic
New

Post by jtstatic »

I've been thinking about removing it also since it's on the upper part of airbox after the filter so it shouldn't harm the engine in any way to remove it.. the tube looks a bit restrictive so I think I should get more benefit from cupra intake mod if I remove it, will let you know if I decide to do it.. :roll:
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

you mean the air goes through it BEFORE reaching the filter, or it's between the filter and the engine?

if "before" then it should be safe, though you may lose e.g. warm air feed.

might be an idea to replace it with some wide vacuum cleaner (etc) hose to the front grille to ram a little more cold air in

if "between" then i wouldn't touch it unless you have a purpose made replacement to go in it's place, as you'll have just unfiltered your engine. and i can testify that even with the bonnet closed and the car going nowhere, a lot of crap can entire the engine bay environment that you wouldn't want to get sucked in. (i've wiped the top face of the block more times than i can remember now!)

alternatively you could replace the whole lot, filter 'n' all with a proper high-performance job and get double benefit (though its very variable as to whether you get any real power boost).
jtstatic
New

Post by jtstatic »

The tube is narrower at the beginning so I'd see it as a restriction. It's very easy to remove and put back so I decided to test removing it. Well first impression was that the car feels to pick up yet even better from low revs. I think I should have a check now and then but the upper part of my airbox was perfectly clean so I think the main filter element is doing a pretty good job keeping the air clean. I noticed there is also a small grid before MAF after the tube which helps to prevent bigger particles entering the engine. I recon even with the tube in place if something got through it wouldn't make any difference..

btw, I already have the larger pd160 intake so if nothing else this mod should compliment it..