Getting There!

Post by andybtsn »

MadManMike wrote:I see :lol:

15 minutes until i'm let out :D :D yay!
Ditto!!!!!!!
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

There arent many who bridge the gap between uk-p's and porka. We do try though. :wink:
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

I tend to think of uk-p as 'home' as I found it first, and it feels like a more friendly atmosphere. More tolerant, a bit calmer etc. Porka's a good forum as well though, and I use it a reasonable amount now, especially since it's become less of a constant flame war.. I tend to use porka for quick general questions that I just need an answer for, as there are lots of active members and things get answered quickly. On the other hand, I'll ask slightly more intricate questions here, as threads tend to remain active for quite a bit longer and it gives the chance for a proper discussion about things.
TerraTag
New

Post by TerraTag »

Im a porka man myself, but I do visit this forum regulary, its just pretty dead sometimes and I found porka alooong time ago...
and porka keeps going bloody down :evil:
R1CH
Platinum Member

Post by R1CH »

dont want to upset anyone here,but i personally arent too struck on porka.if you ask for advice on doing summat,,people dont help--just tell you not to bother if it aint to their liking,and if you ask for an opinion people dont just say they dislike it and explain why,,,they normally get pretty nasty and personal about and just say the cars w4nk,just doesnt seem too nicer place.
DelG40
Gold Member

Post by DelG40 »

Porka - very active, lively and fast forum
Uk-Polos - very homely, calmer and "slower" forum

But both GREAT forums
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

DelGT wrote:Porka - very active, lively and fast forum
Uk-Polos - very homely, calmer and "slower" forum

But both GREAT forums
What he said ^ although I don't subscribe to porka (as a result have never posted on there) - I go there and view occasionally.... my own opinion is a large number of people who post tend to shoot first and ask questions after (IMHO). It's certainly lively :wink:

UK-Polo's - I subscribe and post a fair bit - it is slower in terms of total posts and new threads created per day but in the main the threads tend to be specific and if you are new and know nothing people seem prepared to step by step you through whatever problem you have.....

My reason for not joining Porka is that I found UK-Polo first - asked a question - got a good comprehensive answer that helped me out and fixed my problem - why would I need to ask the same question twice 8)

BTW Response was by David Burton - I'm pretty sure I said thanks at the time but it's worth a mention :lol:

Besides I don't think they'd appreciate or understand why a 40+ year old with 26 odd years experience working one every aspect of his own cars is posting on a polo related forum in the first place.

JM2pW

PS if this forum has any problems it's

- the search facility is underused (but thats common to lot's of forums)

- The profiles are not completed so you often don't know where someone is (eg someone could be local to me and I don't even know it)

- people sometimes don't think first... but that's an age thing
Steve_O
Silver Member

Post by Steve_O »

I'm a porka man myself. Well, I pretty much run the show now!! :lol:

Even so, I do still come on here frequently and it is a completely different environment.

Both have their plus and minus points - but I like the segregation at the end of it.

If both forums were the same it would just be a bit daft!! :?

I don't like the 'us' vs 'them' thing tho - at the end of the day we all share the same common interest :D
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

Steve_O wrote:If both forums were the same it would just be a bit daft!! :?
Yep - each appeals to different people for different reasons - no right or wrong
Steve_O wrote:I don't like the 'us' vs 'them' thing tho - at the end of the day we all share the same common interest :D
I don't think there is an us and them - it just needs a bit of respect for each of the forums pro's and cons and you are spot on - we all share the same interest in Polo's
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

like del said - pace is a bit slower here

that suits me as i simply cant deal with the amount of output that porka throws out. got a high reading speed but a low processing speed, the guy in the ed. psych. office says. so i can take in all those subject headers pretty fast, but cant make sense of whats relevant to read or not for a while :D

whereas here its not so manic, but lively enough to hold attention and i can almost always get difficult (or indeed, six months of difficult and whiney) questions answered by much more knowledgable types.

ideally i'd love the time to read & participate in all of UKP, Porka, Pitstop, OSD etc but there just aint that many hours in the day. Simply staying on here and reading porka / replying to a few things there totally destroyed my free time when i did it, and though i had a brief fling again recently i've had to simply cut it out as i dont have enough time to do the things i want/need to do anyway!

hell that reminds me, i've got to find a VGA cable for someone at work, and my boss was asking something of me..... what was it.... the reminder will be in my phone... :)
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

sorry, i was being a bit negative! i've never signed up to porka cause i haven't had the need to! i shall now try and back up what i am on about!

uk-polos is my home, found it first and i like the chilled atmosphere! my brother and i both had polos when we started (thus the name) and found the lay out of the uk-polos easier to navigate (all the polos mk's have there own section.

both forums have good info on them and make valid points!

on thing that did annoy me on porka was that i am organising a south east meet kinda thing, someone posted it on there to see if we could get some more people but everyone just moaned that it was too far away and wouldn't be worth doing! so why doesn't someone else organise a meet then?

positive about porka would be for one thing, the pictures and video section! alot of funny stuff goes on in there. i would get you more info on other positive stuff but porka is down at the moment DOH!

but put it this way, its great to have two dedicated forums to the polo, can many other cars say that??

so apologies for my negative attitude at first!

regards
Doug