buying a gt mk3

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
captain_starlet
New

buying a gt mk3

Post by captain_starlet »

well its going to be my next project, dirt cheap and fun!

thing is, its hard to step from 180hp turbo'd jap machine to under 100hp germ machine, so id like to get as much power out of a gt as possible without breaking the bank.

plus i have a fetish for lowering cars past the substantial ammount, 60/40 sounds good. where can i get say 80mm drop and what dould i have to do to the car? obviously i'd need shocks aswell.

im still learning my polo's and one thats baffling me is on the mk3. is it the older one that has the plastic round the arches or newer one?

wheels... what would u advise, i like deep dish alot.
sorry... im new to the euro style but i love it!
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Depends what you call breaking the bank, lol. Some of the cheaper mods include chip, de-cat, filter+airbox mod, throttle body de-wedge. If you can stretch to a ported head, cam and exhaust manifold go for it as it will be a hell of a lot better.

A 60/40 kit would be a lot more suitable, H&R do a good 60/40 cup kit.

Yes the Mk3 has plastic arch trims on a lot of models including the GT and G40.
Krupa
Gold Member

Post by Krupa »

Good little car the Polo GT, I'd have put my old GT engine into another car and tinkered with it if I had the cash to. They may be under 100bhp, but they're a lot of fun.

It'll be worth you getting G40 spec brakes before you do anything performance wise though, stock GT brakes are a joke.

If you crave the Euro style and want power to go with the looks, maybe it would be worth you investigating the G40? It'd be less work to make that as quick as you're used to, but make sure you know what you're letting yourself in for first!
omicron
Gold Member

Re: buying a gt mk3

Post by omicron »

captain_starlet wrote:im still learning my polo's and one thats baffling me is on the mk3. is it the older one that has the plastic round the arches or newer one?
AFAIK all GT Coupes and G40's left the factory with arch and sill trims, nothing else did.
Krupa
Gold Member

Post by Krupa »

Aside from the Polo Classic:

mickb
New

Post by mickb »

Hardhitter, you suggested a de-wedging of the GT TB, whats you opinion of this mod?

Its just I have a pop riviter at the mo a, and for free it sounds like a nice touch.

The Gt does respond well to most tuning but as stated, what is to much to pay................................................
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Yeah, definately worth doing. Doesn't take long to do and helps throttle response. You will get used to the more sensitive throttle and like it.
mickb
New

Post by mickb »

Cheers will defo try it, Well thats my saturday morning planned, may follow up with pics in FAQ.

Does any one else know of an article about improving GT Tb air flow, may be it was a dream but I am sure some one made fibre glass mods to the plastic elbow and filed some of the metal away around the tops of the butterfly?
mickb
New

Post by mickb »

Sorry for being a jibbering fool, you do use noraml pop-rivetss to close the holes right?
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Yes they work fine.