Mc Guard

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Polo-03
Silver Member

Mc Guard

Post by Polo-03 »

Iam wanting to purchase a set of locking wheels bolts and have been recomended to use Mc Guard. Just want to know what sort of wheel bolts everyone else use's and how good are Mc Guard? I went to halfords today and they sell them for £30. Iam slightly worried about the amount of combinations they have does anyone know? Also you only get one key and I would prefer two one for incase silly me miss places it.

Dont take offence Polo2k thanks for the advice I just want to know what everyone elses thoughts are. :wink:
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

no offence taken
ill take a few liberties to explain a few of your points
i used mc guard (till i left the locking nut in one of the wheels while doing a test drive DOH) and they are very tough and high quality
the number of combinations is crazy high as the system they tend to use is a ring with fluctuations in its diameter so you cannot force one into anothers nut as with some brands
as for the number of keys come do come with a double key but i think the 9n only gets one however if you look at the packageing the bottom is triangular and on the bottom of the triangle there is a bar code and a silly long number which you must keep safe, theres a piece of paper inside with an application form for a new one into which you enter; the code, your address, and your credit card number. or normally a main retailer can order them
Ballyhoo
Bronze Member

Post by Ballyhoo »

Yeah defo worth getting them! Peace of mind! Unfortunately only one key though :(
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

Am I the only one who hates McGard?

I got some for my Ibiza and the first time I used them the key knackered up and now constantly slips unless it is physically hit onto the bolt with a hammer. I've taken them off and am now just running Tri-Locks (was running McGards and Tri-Locks for extra security)

If another key might be ordered I might order one and complain about the one I have.

I'll get a pic of it to show you what I mean.
Polo-03
Silver Member

Post by Polo-03 »

Oh well wish you had told me that before I bought them! But hey am happy with them they seem to be pretty strurdy plus the fact I had been told "they are the only thatcham approved wheel bolts" seeled it for me. Dont know if that is true though. Also there is load of combinations and the fact that I can order a second key for 20 euros. All in all its what I wanted and if I had to pay £30 for some sort of saftey for my wheels then so be it.
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

yeah i got mc gard locking wheel nuts on my car! they are pritty good and i think you can send away for a spare key! they are a good fit as well! only problem i found was that for my car they listed about 4 different types, luckily had the alloys bolts with me so was able to match them up!

by the way does anyone no if you can get extended locking wheel bolts? for if u are getting some spacers?