G40 for less than £2K?

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
Mk2Adam
Platinum Member

G40 for less than £2K?

Post by Mk2Adam »

i was just wondering what the chances are of realistically picking up a G40 for less than £2k.

if anyone read my GT thread i nearly brought a GT and i've been thinking and if i'm going to have my prospective next car sitting on my nan's drive till i can afford insurance then why not splash out and go for the G??? :twisted:

i very nearly went crazy and brought a G40 yesterday to be honest, theres a nice looking car in wales for £1994 with 114k miles which to me doesn't sound bad at all, but i've got about £1700 savings so it'd be kinda stupid so i restrained myself, but after next months wages or maybe the next i definetely will be in a safe position to splash away.

i did a few insurance quotes for this time next year (2yrs NCB and exp) and that was £1600 from admiral which i could live with too, and i'm sure i'd get cheaper from adrian flux or someone.

so REALISTICALLY can i get a good car for £2k? or will it be a right munter, i know some of you guys have managed to get bargains e.g. DelGT.

i'm still toying with the idea of going down the GT route which is all together cheaper and more boring so i'm just trying to guage ideas from maybe the G owners of uk-p.

sorry for the long post, time flys when you're talking about G power :lol:
amstrange1
Silver Member

Post by amstrange1 »

Leaving a car sitting outside for a year or so without being used isn't really a good idea - much better to invest the money 'til you can afford to use the car!

Pretty sure you can pick up a decent enough G40 for £2k if you're not fussy on colour, mods, location of car - or after one in a hurry. It's unlikely to get you a car with decent bodywork and well-serviced mechanicals though.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking? Flux and Brentacre aren't interested unless you're over 19 - but NCB will help a lot with Flux. Should be able to beat the Admiral quote.

My advice: do more research on insurance, hold off on buying the car 'til you're going to be able to use it, and save up more than £2k so you can afford to maintain the car as well as buy it. G40s are only reliable if you don't skimp on regular maintenance, other Polos in the range you can take the p*** a bit more with - but a G40 is a car you really need to keep on top of!
Mk2Adam
Platinum Member

Post by Mk2Adam »

i'm 19 at the moment, will be 20 in october, i'll have 1 full years driving expererience in september, and i've just got my 1yrs NCB (10 month speeder) so if i wait till this time next year i'll have 2yrs NCB and 2 yrs of experience and i'll be 20, or 21 if i wait till october.

i wanted to get it beforehand so that if i find the right car then i can snap it up and then hopefully work on it and restore it whilst its off the road.

i know they're hardwork to maintain but i reckon i should be able to afford it, last words before i declare bankruptcy :lol:

would it really do much damage leaving it standing for say 6 months? what if you use those engine laying up kits?

anyway cheers for your help andy :D
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

i bought my G40 for less than £2000. ok so it wasn't in the best of nick, but look at what i have now! :wink:

i personally wouldn't leave a car outside for a year, i've done it! Project B was stood outside for a year and it was a complete state! took quite a while to tidy back up again! just imagine if you had a tornado red one! wouldn't stay red for long! :oops:

i can see where your coming from! finding the right G40 is very important but one for under £2k, you'll be looking at it needing some work! Just make sure the temptation to drive it doesn't get too much for you. :wink:

you could always get this one, think it'll be under £2k:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-POLO-G40-MK3-K ... dZViewItem :cry: :cry: :cry:
Mk2Adam
Platinum Member

Post by Mk2Adam »

ouch, that's not good is it :P

remind me to check my tyres if i ever go round a corner at 90mph :lol:

i'm kindof curious about the leaving the car standing problem? i assumed it was just the fact that it's not good for the engine, but i would be cleaning it up fully minimum of once a month so i reckon it'll stay in okay condition body wise.....my current mk2 sat standing for about a year and it came out looking 10 times better condition because i kept cleaning it without it ever getting majorly grubby 8)
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

if your cleaning it then thats fine, it will also effect the tyres a little. maybe not over a year perhaps but you may find the side walls start to crack etc. they way to overcome this would be to take the BBS's off and stick some steeles on with cheap tyres, perhaps your old mk2 ones, or even better, stick her on axle stands, remove the wheels and cover the brakes to stop them corroding! :wink:
Mk2Adam
Platinum Member

Post by Mk2Adam »

so in short, it should be fine to get a g40 when i find the right car, and then keep it on a drive, as long as i get one of those engine lay up kits, keep cleaning it and take off the wheels.

although tbh i've already got some plans for my wheels so this won't really be a problem :wink:
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

I would have thought you could pick a up a decent g40 for under £2000. I sold one last year for £1600 totally standard with 12 months tax/mot.

I'll have another one for sale soon around probably around £2500 but is far from standard (159bhp)
But if I put it back to standard I would be looking for a bit less than £2000 I'd think.
Mk2Adam
Platinum Member

Post by Mk2Adam »

Petrified wrote:I would have thought you could pick a up a decent g40 for under £2000. I sold one last year for £1600 totally standard with 12 months tax/mot.

I'll have another one for sale soon around probably around £2500 but is far from standard (159bhp)
But if I put it back to standard I would be looking for a bit less than £2000 I'd think.
haha, you have my attention mate :D

i would want standard really because i just like a car to be done all by me, especially something like this which will be pretty special to me. :wink:

what sortof specs is it e.g 120k good condition etc?

and when would you be thinking of shifting it just because i can't afford a G40 till atleast 19/09 when i get my next wages and i break that magic £2k savings mark 8)
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

The only problem I have at the moment if I dont have most of the things needed to put it back to standard. pully, airbox, inlet manifold..

Let me see if I can get hold of these parts first. If not it'll have to go as it is. I'm looking around sept/oct time anyway.

I wont be advertising it for a bit anyway unless my plans for the next 2 weekends get trashed :lol:

It's on around 115-116k Tornado red.
Mk2Adam
Platinum Member

Post by Mk2Adam »

Petrified wrote:The only problem I have at the moment if I dont have most of the things needed to put it back to standard. pully, airbox, inlet manifold..

Let me see if I can get hold of these parts first. If not it'll have to go as it is. I'm looking around sept/oct time anyway.

I wont be advertising it for a bit anyway unless my plans for the next 2 weekends get trashed :lol:

It's on around 115-116k Tornado red.
sounds just perfect to me mate, not ideal for the already moddified because it'll push my insurance up and the above stuff about making it my own.

but the timing is ideal if it goes to plan, millage is fine and red is cool, me and spikeyG40 can make a tornado red G40 gang and go round scaring chavs at lights :lol:

well keep me posted mate, if it helps at all then i'll definetly look after it, not gonna chav it up or write it off after a week and plus you'll still see it on here :wink:
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

OK I'll see what I can do.
It currently has recently refurbed 14" bbs RA's. would it be better with 13's?

I think the only thing I would leave modded is the suspension. it's lowered 60/40 on koni adjustables and cup car ARB blocks. handles very well.

I guess insurance is not going to tax you too much for suspension mods compared to power mods.

Mk2Adam
Platinum Member

Post by Mk2Adam »

yeah, i reckon the suspension would be okay, as you said it's mainly the engine mods which would be an insurance killer.

must say it looks pretty freakin sweet though, i know cameras never show up the little dents but it does look pretty tidy there 8)

as for the wheels, i'm not too bothered really, i have a set of G40 13" RA's if i wanted to go down that route or i've got another set which is slightly different :wink:
James14100
Bronze Member

Post by James14100 »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

There you go mate 2 hours 30mins to go
Mk2Adam
Platinum Member

Post by Mk2Adam »

James14100 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

There you go mate 2 hours 30mins to go
cheers mate but i can't buy till next month at the earliest, plus that is a bit of a trek to pick it up lol, my brother thinks i'm nuts for possibly driving to cardiff to pick up a car, let alone from kent to scotland.

petrified: you mind if i add you to msn? saw it in your profile :)