Starting problems with key

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
Pedro_Hilario
Bronze Member

Starting problems with key

Post by Pedro_Hilario »

Hey,

I'm having a bit of a problem with starting my polo.

Since my brother broke the first key I thought, ok, i have the spare key that came with the car until i get a copy.

Went to the car with the spare key, which in 5 years must have been used about 5 times, and the car wont start. The lights in the clocks go on, etc etc but no fire into the engine.

Luckily I have a start button in my center console, and with the same key in the ignition that button starts the car as normal.

First i thought it was the battery, so i got it charged. Now the key works the first time i use it. If i take it out and try to start the car again, nothing. No clicks, no engine, nothing. I'm currently using the start button to get around...

It's not the immobilizer or the start button wouldn't work. Is it the the key?

Opinions, options, solutions? Feel free to share!

Thanks,

Pedro
iggy350
Silver Member

Post by iggy350 »

Put the key in

Turn it

when its turned as far as it goes

push the key up

and yay it starts :P works for mine anyways
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Ignition switch may be worn :(
Pedro_Hilario
Bronze Member

Post by Pedro_Hilario »

iggy350 wrote:Put the key in

Turn it

when its turned as far as it goes

push the key up

and yay it starts :P works for mine anyways
Yeah, doing this it works! Can't figure out why. Is the key bend somewhere, so that you have to push it up?! Strange.

If it's the ignition switch, to change it i need to go to VW, right? Since getting one from another polo would not fit this key, i'm guessing.

Right?

Thanks,

Pedro
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Yep youll need a new one from a dealer as it has to be set to your key to retain the one key system
Pedro_Hilario
Bronze Member

Post by Pedro_Hilario »

I guess i need to take the whole thing out to take a better look at what is causing this.

If it's the ignition switch and not the barrel i won't need a new key or take it to VW, which will save me a lot of €.

I already tried spraying it with WD40 but no luck. I thought it was because i was using my spare key, but guess not.

Lucky I have a start engine button on the centre console.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

How is the start engine button wired....im intrigued by this!

Ive always wanted a kind of enter the car, hit the start button and voila, with a higher powered ignition coil reader much like Mercedes' keyless go facility
iggy350
Silver Member

Post by iggy350 »

HAHAHA i told u Polo FTW hehe

When i took my car for the MOT the engineer loved the way it has to be started hehe
Pedro_Hilario
Bronze Member

Post by Pedro_Hilario »

alexperkins wrote:How is the start engine button wired....im intrigued by this!

Ive always wanted a kind of enter the car, hit the start button and voila, with a higher powered ignition coil reader much like Mercedes' keyless go facility
Actually I have no idea of how it is connected. My electrician did it as a safety measure when my car was stalling for no reason (figured out it was the rotor). It's just two wires connecting to the starter button that starts the car when i press the button.

For safety the car will only start with the key in and with all the lights in the dash on (dont know the english word for that). And as in a normal car, if you don't have the chip in the key the imobiliser wont let it start.

Since it's a small button i got it in the centre console, beneath the 'emergency blinkers', OEM style.

But it does come in handy, especially now that i read in the Haynes manual that I have to take out the entire steering wheel column to see the problem....! Guess i'll wait until i can afford VW labour.

Pedro
Pedro_Hilario
Bronze Member

Post by Pedro_Hilario »

Right, for future reference and if Iggy wants to fix this!

Yesterday, since i was checking out the alternator belt i decided to get this fixed. Took the plastic cover surrounding the steering wheel and noticed that the plug circled in red on the picture was a little loose. If i held it upwards the key would work without having to shake it. So i got a piece of plastic in between the mount and the plug so that it would sit upwards and wouldn't shake.

Now the key works fine.

Oh and Alex, the starter button is connected to two of the wires coming out of this plug. But i dont know if on the 6N2 they will be the same.

And I got a pic of the starter button ( i wanted it as OEM style as possible)

(the black one with the chrome ring)
Mk4 Polo MPI
Getting There!

Post by Mk4 Polo MPI »

I thought with the starter buttons you had to turn the key as far as it will go then push the button and off you go?
Pedro_Hilario
Bronze Member

Post by Pedro_Hilario »

You need the key in the ignition turned until you get the brake and battery warnings on the dashboard. the last position the key will go before starting the car
Mk4 Polo MPI
Getting There!

Post by Mk4 Polo MPI »

thats what i ment just sounds like this guy is forgetting that he has that unless its just me
iggy350
Silver Member

Post by iggy350 »

Pedro_Hilario wrote:Right, for future reference and if Iggy wants to fix this!

Yesterday, since i was checking out the alternator belt i decided to get this fixed. Took the plastic cover surrounding the steering wheel and noticed that the plug circled in red on the picture was a little loose. If i held it upwards the key would work without having to shake it. So i got a piece of plastic in between the mount and the plug so that it would sit upwards and wouldn't shake.

Now the key works fine.

Oh and Alex, the starter button is connected to two of the wires coming out of this plug. But i dont know if on the 6N2 they will be the same.

And I got a pic of the starter button ( i wanted it as OEM style as possible)

(the black one with the chrome ring)
Does it take long to get to and fix? I have lots of bits of plastic I can jam in there hehe
Pedro_Hilario
Bronze Member

Post by Pedro_Hilario »

5m,

Take the plastic cover, check if the plugs also shakes like mine. Get a bit of plastic between the metal and plastic part where it sits and you're good to go. Make sure the plug clicks back into place. You dont want to be driving and the car shuts down because you didn't connect it right.

And voilá