bbs rm????

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Dee-vub
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Dee-vub »

What, camber shims? I havent got any yet bud...will get some when i get the wider wheels.

Somebody did stick a link to me somewhere about where to get camber shims but i cant remember where :evil:
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Ahh sorry I thought you ment you had them on the GTi,

So giving your car more negative camber mean the top of the wheel lean into the arch more, that correct?
Dee-vub

Post by Dee-vub »

No no, on the corrado i mean :)

Yup thats spot on bud 8) Top of the wheel will angle more towards the inside of the arch. Cant imagine the angle doing much good to the tyres lol, but in all fairness the rears where a hell of a lot slower than the fronts! So its safe enough 8)
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yeh I had a little search around and found some pics of absolutely knackered tyres on the inside haha.

I'll see how it goes
sorted
Gold Member

Post by sorted »

shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

thats interesting actually because when i had my 7.5's on the back they didnt rub 'that' much...the coilovers i bought (ta technix) werent the hardest either so i still had alot of movement when cornering at speeds (that caused rubbing). I had no archwork done...

but the interesting thing you guys are saying about negative camber may be why mine wasnt as bad, i had it SO low that when i took it in they were unable to adjust my camber enough to make it even...they showed me the printout & my rears were seriously negative & they couldnt solve it unless i raised the car...

what i never understood though was how tomo got away with 8 & 8.5 and he had bugger all scrubbing (well a tiny bit)..

alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

oh your GTI was so bloody nice jimbo!
CymruPolo
Not so new

Post by CymruPolo »

All this talk it making me want new wheels, I have no idea what I should go for.
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

alexperkins wrote:oh your GTI was so bloody nice jimbo!
thanks alex, it suited its purpose thats for sure! :)
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yeh mine are the same James. My rears have stupid neg camber so they fit under the arches alright. I hardly ever scrub (apart from recently when I had 5 people in the car and my rear nearside scrubbed for a solid 4 miles lol).

I never have issues with the fronts either. I know I wasn't as low as you, but I'm low enough.

i reckon the reason why Tom got away with it, is 8.5 is that inbetween width.

It uses the same tyre size as 7, 7.5 and 8. So the only thing that extra half inch brings, is a little more stretch to the tyres. Therefore the clearance of a 195 tyre with an 8 wheel, being not much different from a 195 tyre with a 8.5 wheel. If you get me?
tomo87
Platinum Member

Post by tomo87 »

yes thats the reason for running silly stretch, i got minimal rubbing off my 8.5" rears but i had my arches rolled. the fronts rubbed a fair bit with 8" although i had the arches pulled and rolled.

i am going to be running camber shims for sure on the 20vt.....8" allround now as plans have changed in the wheel department!
shantybeater

Post by shantybeater »

yeah i get ya, i suppose it makes no actual difference really..how low are you tim?do you plan on going lower?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

I have 1cm gap between the arch and my tyres, I guess at around 70-80mm?? I'll go lower only if I get arch work, but got alot of things to srot before hand!

Tom I'd be careful running shims esp. on the front. Wide wheels with uber stretch, and high powered FWDs don't get on at the best of times without adding shims to the equation!
tomo87
Platinum Member

Post by tomo87 »

na shims for the rear.....front i will just butcher my arches to get 8" under, plus 195/45 isnt too much stretch on an 8 at all realy
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yeh just leave the shims for the rears.

I don't really mine with my current cam, plus I like my wheel bearings too much 8) :lol: