Replacing discs and pads, simple?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
IansMusical
New

Replacing discs and pads, simple?

Post by IansMusical »

Hi Guys,

Am I right in saying replacing discs and pads on the front wheels for a 9N1 Polo is really easy, 2 bolts on calipers, 4 screws on discs or is there more to it? :)

Thanks,

Ian
panda
Silver Member

Post by panda »

think there's only one screw per disc pal

Remember to take the fluid resevoir cap off because you'll need to wind back the piston to get the new pads in.
pidge87
Getting There!

Post by pidge87 »

On the fronts you DO NOT 'wind' the pistons back in.

You simply push them in!

Only rear caliper pistons have a thread requiring them to be 'wound' in in an anti-clockwise fashion :lol:
Jamo
Bronze Member

Post by Jamo »

Yep - only one screw per disk holding it in place... do take the reservoir cover off - and make sure you check it occasionally as you squeeze the front pistons back in. If you squeeze them in too quickly you may force the fluid out over the top - its very unlikely but it would ruin your paintwork inside the engine bay! When re-assembling, it pays to give the caliper a good wire brushing to get any loose surface rust off - then apply anice thin layer of copper grease to the part that the pad sits on. Oh and also on the metal back plate of the pads. If you've got alloys, it pays to grease the mating faces of the wheel and hub too - because they can stick together like an absolute bast***!!

Have fun - should take about 30 mins.
:wink:
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

pidge87 wrote:On the fronts you DO NOT 'wind' the pistons back in.

You simply push them in!

Only rear caliper pistons have a thread requiring them to be 'wound' in in an anti-clockwise fashion :lol:
Are you sure you don't mean clockwise?!
IansMusical
New

Post by IansMusical »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your advice on this one and at least it isn't a complicated job to do :-) Does it have to be copper grease or will normal stuff be ok?

Thanks,

Ian
pidge87
Getting There!

Post by pidge87 »

RUM4MO wrote: Are you sure you don't mean clockwise?!
Yep

:lol:
GaryUK
Gold Member

Post by GaryUK »

This has reminded me I need to change my front brake pads.

Where is the best place to buy them (preferably online) and what are the options :?:
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

IansMusical wrote:Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your advice on this one and at least it isn't a complicated job to do :-) Does it have to be copper grease or will normal stuff be ok?
Thanks, Ian
Yes it should be copper grease - just a light covering - not too much or it will get thrown outwards when the hubs are hot and the wheel turning quickly - and that means very messy wheels! One of the original uses for copper grease was for coating furnace bolts - the stuff I still have 30 years on is called Copaslip - it only started getting used with disc brakes about that time - and now its also used sparingly to lubricate and provide anti seize properties to spark plugs especially when used with aluminium cylinder heads. Actually now some "quality" brake parts manufacturers suggest only using "their" new greases that are not metal loaded because of corrosion problem when used with dissimilar metals - but I've still got about half a tin left, so it will see me out!!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

GaryUK wrote:This has reminded me I need to change my front brake pads.

Where is the best place to buy them (preferably online) and what are the options :?:
You can get original equipment manufacturer's stuff like Pagid and Textar online postage free from GSF. Better to do your homework first on the TMD-Friction website (owners of the Pagid and Textar names) VW fit Pagid on the front and Textar on the rear - can't say why though! Maybe you should check your disc thicknesses also as they don't last too long!