Service Price

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
charlievwp
Gold Member

Service Price

Post by charlievwp »

Got Polo serviced today (1st one since I bought it a year ago at 4 months old)

Local garage, used genuine VW parts.
Thought I was getting a good price for a thorough service, but after checking the invoice for whats been done, i'm not so sure!!

Have I been ripped off?!

Its a tricky situation as the guy is a friend of the family :?

ModifiedMadness
Sponsor

Post by ModifiedMadness »

Does seem quite steep to me for what was done Charlie.

I got my dad to use VAG Tech for his last one, Audi wanted over £300 for pretty much what you had done, cost him under £100
Enzo
New

Post by Enzo »

Thought I was getting a good price for a thorough service, but after checking the invoice for whats been done, i'm not so sure!!
It would probably cost you that for just an oil and filter change at some main dealers, so no I dont think you have been ripped off.

What you have to remember is that okay.... maybe the bits cost £50, and the other £100 is labour.... but its not like that £100 just goes in the blokes pocket for wages.... deduct some for renting and running a business premises, the costs of disposing of trade waste and used oil, and then knock 22%-40% off whats left for tax and I doubt he is left with very much!

If I was using a non-main dealer garage to do work on such a new motor, I would want it clearly showing on the invoice that genuine stuff was used such as part numbers and parts prices, incase you have any waranty problems, and also looks a bit better for when you come to sell the car.

The only way you will get it done cheaper than what you paid, is if you do it yourself.
KennyPOLO_Gti
Platinum Member

Post by KennyPOLO_Gti »

That is steep! Dont see the reason to do the air and pollen filter? Buy urself a green or k&n filter so u can clean it urself?

Oil - 40 quidish
Oil Filter - Bout 20Quidish I think!

Ma 1st service was 70 quid ( friend of family too)
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

What Enzo has said above is all correct, but it's the same case with any other garage. And that is not just any price. It is rather high Charlie. And I understand the situation you've now been put in.
charlievwp
Gold Member

Post by charlievwp »

Oh well, you live 'n' learn I guess.
I've also learned that its not always best to go to someone you know.

Thanks for the info and advice peeps - helpful as always! :D

I'm going to contact him again and ask him to reprint my invoice with details of the VW parts that were used - if he has nothing to hide, then there shouldn't be a problem! :roll:
kc
Gold Member
Drives: an imaginary one... for now

Post by kc »

sounds ok but fair....

i just got all mine priced up and it was £43 for the long life oil, 8 quid for filter and a quid for a sump plug.... so call that 50, plus your pollen filter and labour sounds about right!
Sershen
Getting There!

Post by Sershen »

I also got my GTI serviced today for its 1 year/10,000 mile service. Took it to Alan Day Volkswagen in London who I must say were fantastic (customer service wise).
They charged me £135 all in for exactly the same service.

I'm not trying to make you jealous here, but they also gave me a free courtesy car for the day whilst they did the work!
(which just happened to be an 08 Jetta 2.0t fsi sport with a DSG box, leather and satnav!)
charlievwp
Gold Member

Post by charlievwp »

Lucky booger!
They did give the exterior a little clean too :P
So you got a stealership stamp in the book then?
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

save even more do it yourself! :lol: They should have brocken it down how much each thingy was etc! :roll: garages know how to have ya pants down, i should know used to work in em LOL :roll: