Replacement brake pipes

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
pitman
Getting There!

Replacement brake pipes

Post by pitman »

Hi all,

I was just wondering if it's possible to get some new pre-configured brake pipes or would I need to bend my own ones with someone who has a flaring tool?
ARTHUR16V
New

Post by ARTHUR16V »

Hi mate, im afraid you will have to bend your own because you can't buy them pre-bent! When i did mine i bought a 10m roll of cunifer brake piping, measured the old ones with the aid of a piece of string, cut the piping to length and making sure the ends are filed square and burr free (this gives a better flare). Take them to your local motorcount (or equivelent) to have the end 'nipples' put on and the ends flared, it doesn't cost much at all just takes a bit of time and effort :D
pitman
Getting There!

Post by pitman »

Thanks. Fortunately, it's not urgent at all. I could clean the "excessively" corroded pipes simply with my oily working gloves and they look like new again.
pitman
Getting There!

Post by pitman »

Polo is mot'd, now. The tester starred very long at them when re-testing, though. :D

The coating of those pipes has a few punctures where it starts rusting. I simply cleaned those spots with sandpaper and gave it a finish with WD-40 and an oily working glove. 8)

Does someone know a proper treatment for the perforated coating that prevents the pipe from further rusting?