UPDATED: planning to sell... moving back to standard parts

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
mk4 glx 1.6
Gold Member

Re: Thinking of selling... unsure on asking price?

Post by mk4 glx 1.6 »

Good luck with the impending sale Si, I hope you achieve what you want to get for it.

I hope if you get a Fabia VRS it serves you just as well as the gti has. The Fabia VRS is a good solid car and quick enough, not quite as good in the corners though. I just get bored of the small powerband of the TDI130 engine, even when remapped.

Did your O/H replace her Cup in the end, what with?
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

My ex still has her 172 Cup my friend! Evo magazine is not helpful to me at all, they did a feature on proper driver's cars in the used market and the Clio 182 Trophy is in there at between £5k-5.5k... bit of a left-field choice but its lots faster and much much MUCH better handling and involving than the Polo! Running costs not too bad, just the lower MPG to take in to consideration.
mk4 glx 1.6
Gold Member

Post by mk4 glx 1.6 »

Si_GTi wrote:its much MUCH better handling and involving than the Polo!
Nail on the head.

I average 37 mpg in my 182, and I drive about 50 miles a day. It really doesn't change that much whether you thrash it or drive like a granny.

To be honest I didn't notice much difference from the Gti, I think my monthly fuel spend went up around £20 doing the same mileage. Tax on the otherhand isn't so kind.

I'd love a Trophy, but i'd ruin it so quickly as I do a fair few miles. They were around the £9k mark around a year ago, prices have come down a lot.
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Sam (the ex) used to get probably mid-to-high 20s MPG but she does love to properly drive it everywhere she goes and does not suffer slow-moving road users! I have to admit though, I did love driving that car. I had the opportunity again last Christmas and grabbed it with both hands. Awesome!

Wonder how much a newish previous generation black 182 with xenon headlights is on the market for these days...? (off to look at Autotrader!) :twisted:
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

I just test drove the 500 Abarth SS on Thursday and fell in love....11 months left with the Polo :(
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Had a chat with a fellow car nut earlier. He says just go and get the Fabia 8)

As he rightly said, the Clio will end up just starting to rattle after a while and then will start to show wear and tear etc. Fun as the French car would be (awesome point-to-point driving cars), the Fabia is solid and dependable and will look good and handle better after it has been tickled with a few small modifications! :wink:

I got looking at a last-of-the-line previous generation (EK?) Civic Type R earlier on an 06-plate... bit too much moolah though!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

EKs the lower model. mark6. You mean the EP3. They are nice cars. Too common for me though! Also brand a certain stereotype of drivers which would aggrovate me.
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Tim_GTi wrote:EKs the lower model. mark6. You mean the EP3. They are nice cars. Too common for me though! Also brand a certain stereotype of drivers which would aggrovate me.
Aye, EP3 will be the one. In Nighthawk Black Pearl, one of the facelifted runout examples. Thats the VTEC that does that. I guess you must start to learn to drive everywhere at the top end of the rev band screaming the t*ts off it :D

I still like the idea of getting a diesel Fabia but petrol cars have a much wider power band and sound better!
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Look at that! Three simple changes (coilies, Octy vRS rims and colour-coded front grille surround) and it is transformed from the standard look 8)
JPR_polo_gti
Silver Member

Post by JPR_polo_gti »

it does look very sweet
Mouse_GTI
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Mouse_GTI »

I'd go for something a little more special than a Fabia if I were you Si. Get down to your nearest 500 Abarth dealer, trust me ;)
chrischap2003
Bronze Member

Post by chrischap2003 »

Fabia FTW! I had a Golf Gt tdi with the 130 pd engine in it and it really did pull! and that was standard with no re-map...Fab's will shift with a good map and maybe a bit extra work :-) and you know it will be a solid built car that will be good for mega mileage!
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

Mouse_GTI wrote:I'd go for something a little more special than a Fabia if I were you Si. Get down to your nearest 500 Abarth dealer, trust me ;)
Sorry, but no thanks :P
mk4 glx 1.6
Gold Member

Post by mk4 glx 1.6 »

Si_GTi wrote:the Clio will end up just starting to rattle after a while
Yes, true (I can vouch for that), but you expect that being French and it doesn't detract from the fun. Not a lot beats it for 'out of the box' fun.
Si_GTi wrote:the Fabia...will handle better after it has been tickled with a few small modifications!
Yes it will handle better, I just prefer things that are good as standard.

Very best wishes with the sale and finding the spec Fabia you want, nice cars and will serve you well. I don't think many had the xenon option ticked at purchase but they are out there. Josh's silver one on D90's always looked great. My TDI130 drinks plenty of oil and the clutch didn't enjoy the remap!
lolhoward
Platinum Member

Post by lolhoward »

Si_GTi wrote:
Tim_GTi wrote:EKs the lower model. mark6. You mean the EP3. They are nice cars. Too common for me though! Also brand a certain stereotype of drivers which would aggrovate me.
Aye, EP3 will be the one. In Nighthawk Black Pearl, one of the facelifted runout examples. Thats the VTEC that does that. I guess you must start to learn to drive everywhere at the top end of the rev band screaming the t*ts off it :D

I still like the idea of getting a diesel Fabia but petrol cars have a much wider power band and sound better!
Type R all the way mate. I miss mine like mad. You'll never get bored of the V-Tech.