Front Bumper Removal

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
GT_Raven
Bronze Member

Front Bumper Removal

Post by GT_Raven »

Need to remove my front bumper as ive ordered osram nightbreakers for my front lights (dipped , main and sidelights) i remember me and my mate taking nearly an hour to get a single bulb in before thanks to the stupid designers at vw making the lights near on impossible to get at even if ya have small hands.

How do i go about removing my front bumper guys ?

Cheers
abdnmoh
Bronze Member

Re: Front Bumper Removal

Post by abdnmoh »

Check in the guides.. http://www.uk-polos.net/view ... 25#p342218, last post. :wink:
GT_Raven
Bronze Member

Post by GT_Raven »

Cheers dude , ordered a haynes manual anyways should be usefull for other stuff aswell 8)
Andrew457
New

Post by Andrew457 »

The Haynes manual is a good idea. I spend last Sunday changing the nearside headlight and it's fairly straightforward, just make sure that you either have someone helping you when the bumper comes off or you have loads of padding/protection on the floor to save the paintwork of the bumper!
RITCHAT
Gold Member

Post by RITCHAT »

Andrew457 wrote:The Haynes manual is a good idea. I spend last Sunday changing the nearside headlight and it's fairly straightforward, just make sure that you either have someone helping you when the bumper comes off or you have loads of padding/protection on the floor to save the paintwork of the bumper!
you don't have to remove the bumper completely you can leave it hanging by the undertray as long as it it isnt for too long. you will have enough time to change the bulbs over though. pretty crap design on vw's behalve. I guess they want people to go to the main dealers for bulb replacement.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

RITCHAT wrote:
Andrew457 wrote:The Haynes manual is a good idea. I spend last Sunday changing the nearside headlight and it's fairly straightforward, just make sure that you either have someone helping you when the bumper comes off or you have loads of padding/protection on the floor to save the paintwork of the bumper!
you don't have to remove the bumper completely you can leave it hanging by the undertray as long as it it isnt for too long. you will have enough time to change the bulbs over though. pretty crap design on vw's behalve. I guess they want people to go to the main dealers for bulb replacement.
Would you mind expanding on this Sandy? So do you take out all the screws bar the ones at the bottom? Haven't removed the bumper before, but I've got a Haynes manual and have read most of it in my spare time.

Ash :)
Andrew457
New

Post by Andrew457 »

RITCHAT wrote:pretty crap design on vw's behalve. I guess they want people to go to the main dealers for bulb replacement.
There is a lot to fit in the engine compartment but you are right, it could do with a quick-release bracket for the headlight rather than making it a bodywork removal exercise. Once you have done it once, it's really not that big a deal to do it again and just think of the areas of the car exposed that can be quickly cleaned - I found loads of stones behind my bumper! :shock:
RITCHAT
Gold Member

Post by RITCHAT »

Andrew457 wrote:
RITCHAT wrote:pretty crap design on vw's behalve. I guess they want people to go to the main dealers for bulb replacement.
There is a lot to fit in the engine compartment but you are right, it could do with a quick-release bracket for the headlight rather than making it a bodywork removal exercise. Once you have done it once, it's really not that big a deal to do it again and just think of the areas of the car exposed that can be quickly cleaned - I found loads of stones behind my bumper! :shock:
that is true I had to remove the bumper when changing a bulb however I didn't remove the lower screws retaining the tray that protects the enging this allowed the bumper to tip forward enough to remove the headlamp unit. regards stons try removing the under panels on each side of the car enough to tarmac the drive just atrap for them.
Gra-GT
Gold Member

Post by Gra-GT »

I changed both headlights and both sidelights a few months ago, and managed to do it without taking the bumper off. Was a bit of a faff trying to reach, but I managed to get by hand down the side of the engine, to the outside of the headlights without moving anything. Was awkward to reach, but still ended up easier than taking the bumper off.

Another way I know some has done it is to unbolt the expansion tank and move it out the way for one site, and take out the battery for the other side. That way you have plenty of room.
Andrew457
New

Post by Andrew457 »

Gra-GT wrote:I changed both headlights and both sidelights a few months ago, and managed to do it without taking the bumper off. Was a bit of a faff trying to reach, but I managed to get by hand down the side of the engine, to the outside of the headlights without moving anything. Was awkward to reach, but still ended up easier than taking the bumper off.

Another way I know some has done it is to unbolt the expansion tank and move it out the way for one site, and take out the battery for the other side. That way you have plenty of room.
Nice work. I don't know what the petrol engine layout is in the engine compartment but you can't get to the diesel lights without taking out the fuel filter housing on the driver side.

The passenger side is possible but fiddly. I think the last owner had a go at this and basically has broken off the clips holding the dipped headlight on my car - that's why I had to change the front headlight. :shock:
Gra-GT
Gold Member

Post by Gra-GT »

Andrew457 wrote:
Gra-GT wrote:I changed both headlights and both sidelights a few months ago, and managed to do it without taking the bumper off. Was a bit of a faff trying to reach, but I managed to get by hand down the side of the engine, to the outside of the headlights without moving anything. Was awkward to reach, but still ended up easier than taking the bumper off.

Nice work. I don't know what the petrol engine layout is in the engine compartment but you can't get to the diesel lights without taking out the fuel filter housing on the driver side.

The passenger side is possible but fiddly. I think the last owner had a go at this and basically has broken off the clips holding the dipped headlight on my car - that's why I had to change the front headlight. :shock:
Mine's the diesel engine. i've got the 1.9 TDI GT, so my cars got pretty much the least room of all of them. It was a tight squeeze but just managed it down the outside.......plus I've got girly hands :roll: :lol:
MeTsU
Bronze Member

Post by MeTsU »

Gra-GT wrote:.......plus I've got girly hands :roll: :lol:
HAHA, was about to say. I looked at mine a week or so ago, what a mission! Unfortunately my hands aren't going to fit too easily. I'll be doing my front and rear bumpers soon, so I'll sort my bulbs out then. :)