Warranty Value?

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
aaronon
Gold Member

Warranty Value?

Post by aaronon »

I just received a letter from Volkswagen saying my 1 years warranty is about to expire.

Does anyone else have this? . . . Should I renew it?

I'm reading through the book and it states what is covered and what is not. There is a MASSIVE list of things that aren't covered ranging from brakes, to pumps and to other things.

What's the point of the warranty then? If my o2 sensor fails and I need a new one is it replaced for free (including them covering the labour charge?)

If not then what is the point in having it?

Thanks in advance.

It's around £90 or £150 for 2 years.
ppuaar_polosport
Bronze Member

Re: Warranty Value?

Post by ppuaar_polosport »

hmm i ve never used mine
and i didnt renew it on any of the cars me or my father have owned

so i would say no

but its your call
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

Yeah. Sometimes my car doesn't go into first gear properly and gets jammed. I then put it in neutral and try again and it works.

Does anyone know would something like that be covered by the warranty??
Rich_T
Gold Member

Post by Rich_T »

had the booklet to as my 3 year warranty runs out on the 24th, price put me off straight away :( £400 pound for an extra year! plus not much seemed to be covered under the extra year warranty, so i launched it into the bin. lol :)

as for the gearbox problem, mine does that to, but unless it does it everytime the vw would never do anything anyway!

but the price you've been quoted seems to be pretty good to me....

what model polo you got?
ihpj
Bronze Member

Post by ihpj »

I know it is easy to get cynical about the value of an extended warranty. The issue with VW warranty (and the rest of the VAG group) is that for Year 4, you get an 'all component' warranty that is actually very good. In years 5 onwards it becomes a 'named component' policy that offers reduced coverage but still is very good.

I am in NO WAY connected to VW but did opt to renew the Warranty on my mothers 9N (automatic) and already in the 4th year we have claimed circa £800 worth on it. One issue was the well documented flap re-circulation motor while the other related to the Auto Box...I don't know how well the MKVII fares on reliability, but if it is anything like the MKVI - then it might indeed be money well spent especially when you consider that it is an excess and paper free claims process too...

Just my 2p worth.
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

Ah. I might go for it then - I was just fearful that nothing would be covered.

My O2 sensor went crazy last year, while it was still in warranty and VW didn't want anything to do with it (for free) so that annoyed me.

I might go for it since it seems cheap. . .I have the Polo 1.2 model you see.

I just got the letter and it says I need to contact them by the 20th. It's now the 21st so I don't even think they'll allow me to extend it. :(

I might get it covered, then if any warning lights come on my dash I can get them sorted for free? The fact I've had one warning light come on that Volkswagen didn't look at for free had put me off.
aaronon
Gold Member

Post by aaronon »

ihpj wrote:I know it is easy to get cynical about the value of an extended warranty. The issue with VW warranty (and the rest of the VAG group) is that for Year 4, you get an 'all component' warranty that is actually very good. In years 5 onwards it becomes a 'named component' policy that offers reduced coverage but still is very good.

I am in NO WAY connected to VW but did opt to renew the Warranty on my mothers 9N (automatic) and already in the 4th year we have claimed circa £800 worth on it. One issue was the well documented flap re-circulation motor while the other related to the Auto Box...I don't know how well the MKVII fares on reliability, but if it is anything like the MKVI - then it might indeed be money well spent especially when you consider that it is an excess and paper free claims process too...

Just my 2p worth.
Can I ask what you claimed on just to give me an insight into the errors they correct?
ihpj
Bronze Member

Post by ihpj »

I have posted my experience of both claims on this forum as follows:

First Claim - http://www.uk-polos.net/view ... =8&t=40886
Second Claim - http://www.uk-polos.net/view ... =8&t=42567

Each time, the process has been pretty straightforward and simple. Claim acknowledged, logged and almost instantaneously authorised. No hassle at all. One other thing to remember is that as part of the Extended Warranty you not only get VW Assist but also access to a hire car if yours is immobile. Then you add in the fact it is paperless and excess-less policy, I think it holds a real value should (when?) things go wrong.
ihpj
Bronze Member

Post by ihpj »

aaronon wrote:I just got the letter and it says I need to contact them by the 20th. It's now the 21st so I don't even think they'll allow me to extend it. :(
VAG are a manufacturer that will not let you renew the warranty if you car falls outside of the cover period by even one day. IIRC they have different costs for renewal thata re based one engine size. For 1.4 (or below) 4th year renewal is £250...very reasonable for reasons I have mentioned above IMHO.
sylvester
Getting There!

Post by sylvester »

The warranty terms have changed over the years depending on who administers it, if vw's are so reliable (not) why have they changed the uk extended warranty option to 12 months renewals.? VW assist was included in the past, then it was extra, now it is included again. I don't see why all component can't be included for 5 yrs and say 100k miles.
ihpj
Bronze Member

Post by ihpj »

Part of the reason for the change is that no manufacturer is able to administer and offer a warranty themselves - something to do with FSA rules and changes which has meant ALL manufacturers are having to contract out to companies like Car Care Plan. I agree, I too would expect them to offer 'all component' coverage for at least 5 years on their cars. But no, its only up to year 4 then all years after it is 'named component' only. I think VW would argue that it is a financial decision that the administrator of the warranty has taken - after all they are there to protect their profits.

However, in my experience, the only warranty worth having is the manufacturer one; if for nothing else than the seamless and painless claims handling between Dealer and Warranty Company.
loud
Gold Member

Post by loud »

My gearbox does the first gear thing too, but I noticed if I slip the clutch, like I'm taking off while in 1st gear normally, while pushing it into first gear it pops in and takes off as normal
RITCHAT
Gold Member

Post by RITCHAT »

never renewed mine most of what is covered are items that will go under general use or wear and tear as they will put it if a claim is made. Most warranty are a waste of money and to make a claim by god you need to be persistent and in their face to get any work done. I had a warranty years go on a ford fiesta which I bought when it was a year old the clutch bearing was knackered but they would not replace it ,I complained every week for the full year before they replaced it right at the last week of the warranty when the damn thing had failed completely and a new clutch kit had to be fitted. I personally wouldn't give them the money gamble on the good name of vw and you won't go much wrong unless you trash your car about which I doubt you do.
ihpj
Bronze Member

Post by ihpj »

RITCHAT wrote:never renewed mine most of what is covered are items that will go under general use or wear and tear as they will put it if a claim is made. Most warranty are a waste of money and to make a claim by god you need to be persistent and in their face to get any work done...
In my experience the ONLY warranty worth having is the manufacturer one. I have NEVER had a problem claiming on them and my experience with the two claims, as posted on this forum, are the same for my Lexus, Renault and also BMW. Having had a bad experience with a third party company (Warranty Wise) a couple of years ago, I found to my peril/cost that it is those that are not worth the paper they are written on.

As for trusting the VW brand, sorry I wouldn't - how many Polo 9Ns (for example) suffer from the dodgy recirculation flap motor problem that can cost upwards of £250 to rectify? Not sure if the 9N3 has any simialr niggles - but I would pay the £250 it costs to renew and claim unlimited numebr of times.

My point being that both claims, on my VW that is, authorised and dealt with without fuss/issue. OK so my Dealer is incompetent, but even they couldn't messed up warranty claims :D