DASH

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
tdisport
Getting There!

DASH

Post by tdisport »

Going into dealers to have new interior mirror fitted and also dash still playing up. Dealer has said they have to take dash out but this seems really extreme to me. The plastic valance against the windscreen seems the main prob as when i wedge something between it the rattle stop.

What'd you reckon I should do? Let them take dash out while it still got waranty? They said will need car whole day so sounds like big job!

thanx.
kliis
Getting There!
Location: Castellar del Vallès, near Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

Post by kliis »

My dealer has removed my entire dash two times!
The first was to fix the rattle, and it worked. They said it was a problem with the clips that fix the dash to the chassis :? Now it doesn't rattle any more!
The second one was becouse there was a "hole" somewhere and I had a lot of water inside the car when it rains! :shock: They said it was a problem coming from the sunroof... They fixed it but the car is still in the dealer (two weeks!) becouse they damaged the steering wheel when they removed the dash... I am really tired of all the problems with my polo...
dxg

Post by dxg »

My dash has been "packed" between the base of the windscreen and the front of the smooth plastic part. It's been *liberally* smoothered in silicon grease. It's been completed dissassembled from the car, and rebuilt.

It still rattles.

I gave up on trying to get it fixed.

Deek.
(I will be asking them to *try* to fix it again when it's in for this year's service, though...)
Scorpio1
Gold Member

Post by Scorpio1 »

My dash is weird.. it doesn't rattle, the heater air ducts under the smooth part by the screen click and bang over humps!

When I can be bothered, I am going to do the whole dash myself (just the airbag that's the problem). There HAS to be a fix, but if you give your car to a dealers to fix they're not really going to care. They way I understand their attitude is, 'it's a rattle tough', kind of thing.

My local dealer said he couldn't hear it :? and that it wouldn't be covered by warranty as I had fitted two footwell lights... that's not even in the dash really, just two plastic trays. I even gave permission for it to be driven home with the guy so he could listen properly, to find 3 days later half a tank less of diesel and 'nothing wrong with it'.

At least they told me I would be called when they get some new bushes in.
jrw
Silver Member

Post by jrw »

Well mines in the garage as we speak having new bushes fitted and a modified dash both of which are available so go and pester your dealer.
Stephen123
New

Post by Stephen123 »

My dash dont rattle at all but I have other rattles , Ive had 3 sets of bushes on my Polo the latest were fitted 2 weeks ago and they are away already and they are modified bushes mark 2 which were only released just over 2 weeks ago .
kliis
Getting There!
Location: Castellar del Vallès, near Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

Post by kliis »

Excuse me for my ignorance but, what are the 'bushes'?
jrw
Silver Member

Post by jrw »

Just picked my car up from vw after having the new 'modified dash' fitted and the suspension bushes. Still have got the horn sorted or the squeaking seat (they've only had it 2 weeks!) and manager is off ill so i couldn't get my Road Angel they'd promised for compo :cry: (so ill have to make do with the old snooper for inters).

The dash is actually different. The bit where it joins the windscreen is a lot bigger and there is a bit of plastic that sticks up in the middle (well mines off centre) but don't know what thats for. Anyway just drove home and guess what? You guessed it! It still rattles :evil:

Getting to the end of my tether with it now.
woter324
Getting There!

Replacement Windscreen?

Post by woter324 »

Has your car had a new windscreen at any time? I say this as when a pheasant kindly flew into my windscreen and it was replaced, I had an anoying squeak appear, especially when the sun was shining. I had another windscreen (trying to take the RV mirror off) and after that screen was replaced, the squeak disappeared.

This was on an older Polo (1997). A similar thing happened to an old Audi 100 we had. Seems to be related to whether they are cowboys or professionals who put the windsreens in?

Hope it's some help???
Scorpio1
Gold Member

Post by Scorpio1 »

I am going to be fixing my dash my self so when I do I will try and take pics. I don't trust ANY dealers to sort rattles.

I really believe it's the clips that hold the dash to the body, and/or the air ducts rubbing on plastic. It also needs padding out (where I'm not sure).

You got any pics of the dash and how's the new bushes?

NOTE: My dash doesn't rattle, it bangs over speed bumps.

The only thing am worried about is removing the passenger airbag, but if I disconnect the battery, it must be ok, I am only unplugging it.
dxg

Post by dxg »

I have some pics of my car with no dash in it, if that's any help. But, they were taken from outside the car... :roll:

PM me if you want them.

Deek.
woter324
Getting There!

Airbag Removal

Post by woter324 »

I'm no expert, but I have read the prosedures on erwin for removing the drivers airbag, and one safety factor it mentions regularly is not to sit behind the bag when you are removing it. It also mentions that even if the battery earth strap is disconnected, jolts and rough treatment can set the bag off.

There is a bit relating to Driverside airbag removal at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dgace/cruise_control.htm.

This is the bit that worries me about fitting cruise control, Removing the steering wheel and airbag.

The erwin document covering dash removal and ALL airbag removal is covered in "General Body Repairs - Interior" Priced at 18 euros. It also shows all the parts involved.

Again hope it helps?
Scorpio1
Gold Member

Post by Scorpio1 »

PM sent :D
jrw
Silver Member

Post by jrw »

Just sorted the rattle on mine out myself.

If you have a rattle (sort of like a ball bearing rattling type sound) from around the glovebox/passenger airbag area, this is what you have to do.

Remove the glovebox - Undo the 3 screws at the top by the catch and the catch. Remove the shelf and the black plastic cover and undo the screws under the shelf and the glovenbox will pull out.

Here you should see a yellow connector for the passenger airbag I think. on mine this was loose and you could hear it rattle when you tap it (although not the same rattle sound as usual, but i think this is because the glovebox amplifys it). With this connector just put a bit of wadding inbetween the top of the connector and the black holder and tape it from the back to the front with insulation tape and fix to the airbag metal casing.

Screw back together and it should be rattle free like mine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also taped the big black connector on the left as well as this was a bit loose just to be sure.

I should have took some pics for you all but i'm not gonna take it all apart again!

Should take you around 30-60 mins to complete and you'll need a t20 torx key.