Heated Mirrors?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
funlovincriminal
Bronze Member
Drives: 6R GTI

Heated Mirrors?

Post by funlovincriminal »

Does the gti have heated mirrors & if so how are they switched on? Is it with the rear heated screen button.

Thanks
Bradley
Gold Member

Re: Heated Mirrors?

Post by Bradley »

Yes it does and they come on when the Heated rear screen is activated.
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Post by nigelelliott394 »

To be fair, I've never really found them to be much good and was wondering the other day if there was some way to make them warm enough to melt ice... Quickly! Could be fun?
funlovincriminal
Bronze Member

nigelelliott394 wrote:To be fair, I've never really found them to be much good and was wondering the other day if there was some way to make them warm enough to melt ice... Quickly! Could be fun?
You right they don't really work very well/ quickly because i've always had to scrape it even when i've had the rear heated screen on so never noticed them. I wonder how long it actually takes for them to heat up to melt ice.

Get yourself an old sandwich toaster and a screwdriver you could come up with something :D :lol: but seriously would be good it you could make them better
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

funlovincriminal wrote:
nigelelliott394 wrote:To be fair, I've never really found them to be much good and was wondering the other day if there was some way to make them warm enough to melt ice... Quickly! Could be fun?
You right they don't really work very well/ quickly because i've always had to scrape it even when i've had the rear heated screen on so never noticed them. I wonder how long it actually takes for them to heat up to melt ice.

Get yourself an old sandwich toaster and a screwdriver you could come up with something :D :lol: but seriously would be good it you could make them better
Ha! Perhaps a hairdryer attached to the door pointed at the wing mirror?

In all seriousness though, I wonder is there a way of upping the temperature of it without there being too much of a danger/issue.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Simply no :P It works on the same principle as a rear window heater - fine electroceramic elements that heat up when a current is passed through them due to the resistance.

To increase the current going through them would have a negative effect as it would cause them to burnout, thus rendering the heating elements useless.
Bradley
Gold Member

Post by Bradley »

They're great,i find if i have misted up mirrors then it goes pretty damn quickly which is what they're designed for not melting blocks of ice off them.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

To be honest, I never had any problems either
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

You fellas are just too contented :P
the_mini_mole
New

Post by the_mini_mole »

Never really noticed the heated washers TBH, they never seem to really melt that quickly. The mirrors however are brilliant on mine, stick the heated screen on and they are clear within a minute or two.
funlovincriminal
Bronze Member

alexperkins wrote:To be honest, I never had any problems either
I must be too impatient, will give them a go tomorrow morning to see how well they work