Changing Alternator Belt

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Kuru14
Getting There!

Changing Alternator Belt

Post by Kuru14 »

Hi guys, recently on start up of my 1.2s im hearing a belt whine for the first few minutes before it dissapears.. im thinking its the alternator belt and so it needs changing.

anyone here done this before? im presuming theres a tensioner i have to remove and put back on.. im a better off replacing the tensioner aswell?

Would appreciate any help on this :D

Kuru
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Changing Alternator Belt

Post by RUM4MO »

I've no idea about the 1.2 engine, but on most if not all modern engines, the tensioner has a spring and you need to wind it back with a ring spanner. If its like the 1.4 16V engine then you should jack up the O/S and remove the wheel arch liner and be prepared to need to replace a few of the nylon "nuts". Just one thing though, in this cold weather the battery will be "low" and after starting a cold engine it will need a lot of current to top it back up - it could be the extra demand on the alternator that is making the belt whine, also salt on the belt would make it squeek a bit. If the car is more than 6 or so years old then it might be smart to replace the belt.

The tensioner will be quite expensive - I did not replace my one - only replaced the belt at 72,000 miles or 7.5 years.