Any one tried normal unleaded in their GTI?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
big_amir
Getting There!

Any one tried normal unleaded in their GTI?

Post by big_amir »

Reason for asking is because I just filled up but by mistake put normal unleaded in.
Edi30
Gold Member

Re: Any one tried normal unleaded in their GTI?

Post by Edi30 »

big_amir wrote:Reason for asking is because I just filled up but by mistake put normal unleaded in.
No I haven't and would only put this in if 98 or 99 was not available. The engine/engine management system should be able to handle this no problem just wont run as sweet (slight loss of power and mpg). If you are worried put some higher octane fuel is as soon as you have enough room in the tank to boost what you have in the tank. I had to put in 95 a couple of times when I had my Edition 30 and it ran fine just wasn't as sweet.
big_amir
Getting There!

Post by big_amir »

Edi30 wrote:
big_amir wrote:Reason for asking is because I just filled up but by mistake put normal unleaded in.
No I haven't and would only put this in if 98 or 99 was not available. The engine/engine management system should be able to handle this no problem just wont run as sweet (slight loss of power and mpg). If you are worried put some higher octane fuel is as soon as you have enough room in the tank to boost what you have in the tank. I had to put in 95 a couple of times when I had my Edition 30 and it ran fine just wasn't as sweet.
That's my plan. The fuel will be burned off within four days but will top up after a couple days.

If im the first one to cock up :oops: , then I'll report back about the performance.
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

Be interesting to see if you can notice a diffrence
biff+
New

Post by biff+ »

daydotz wrote:Be interesting to see if you can notice a diffrence
you won't.
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

biff+ wrote:
daydotz wrote:Be interesting to see if you can notice a diffrence
you won't.

my thoughts im certianly going to try a few tanks :lol:
big_amir
Getting There!

Post by big_amir »

Well i've driven a 150 miles now on standard unleaded and to be honest i can not feel a meaning full difference.
However as the recommended fuel is the higher octane one i will be using that next time.

i will report back on my mpg next time i fill up.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

I am surprised you can't feel any difference in performance. Does it not feel slightly off the boil with a reduced throttle response? Not had the need to put in 95 yet. When I had to do this on my ED30 it felt less lively and the throttle response was not as good and the fuel consumption dropped about 10%. Perhaps the latest engine management systems can alter the settings better? Good to know but I won't be putting in 95 unless there is no 98/99 available. :D
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

I've got a 9n3 GTi with the 1.8T in it, but it drinks petrol as well :wink:

I've run my car on both regular and super unleaded - to be honest there is so little difference in it I can only just notice the change if I floor it. That said, I try and put super unleaded in whenever I can because I don't drive the car that much so I don't mind spending the extra. If it was a daily driver, then it would probably get regular fuel. At the same time though, I know people with 2.0T Audi's that put out 200bhp and are run on 95RON and they seem to be just fine.

Not being a brand snob or anything, but there's more difference in where you get it from I find. Morrisons super unleaded is completely different to Shell V-Power and it isn't because of the 1RON difference. You've got to remember that these cars are sold in other countries where the fuel quality could be either better or worse than that in Germany. They aren't going to throw a fit and refuse to start when asked to run on 95RON fuel.
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Here, BP Ultimate is the only fuel that has a true 98RON against it because BP have a statement that states that BP Ultimate, with is 98RON rating is the minimum rating BP will manufacture the fuel to. All others mind you, say they are 98, but they have a tolerance eiither side of that, so you could buy Shell V-Power and it could be 98 in one tank and 92 the next.
Tyler Owen
Getting There!

Post by Tyler Owen »

I'm not sold on the must have higher "super" fuel idea.

The Octane Rating is only relevant to the fuel's ability to resist preignition or engine knock. The fuel isn't more combustable as is often thought.

Running 95 RON is certainly not going to cause any engine damage, as the ECU won't allow "knock" in the first place. The only reason that i can see that 98 RON is recommended is that, the ECU will advance engine timing to give more performance and efficiency, and the 98 Ron fuel gives more scope to take advantage of this with its greater tolerance to pre-ignition or 'knock'.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

It's worth the extra for better performance or economy, make the most of your GTI :D
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Don't ask how I got it ;) but the official VW service manual stipulates recommended minimum fuel spec as 95RON so there will be no probs running it on a 95RON fuel, contrary to what VW here are saying :)
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

On the fuel filler flap there is a sticker with a large 98 and a small 95 meaning 98 recommended and 95 min. So yes the car will run fine on 95 but why would you use it other than when you can't get 98 as you get better performance and mpg.
Tyler Owen
Getting There!

Post by Tyler Owen »

You would need to do cost benefit analysis, if the advantages of the 98RON don't measure up against the increase in cost per litre then is it really worth it?

Cause an extra 5bhp isn't going to make any difference in the real daily driver world and if the extra mileage gained isnt more than the amount you would get by buying the same amount of 95 ron i.e £60 worth of 98 compared to £60 worth of 95 then it doesn't make sense financially.

That said i've used 98 RON or above so far but its still running in, so the dealer put it in and ive continued to do the same till i reach 1100 miles