Unnerving brakes

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Unnerving brakes

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Well, yes, I know all mk2 brakes are a little unnerving :) Problem is, mine are fine under anything up to moderate braking, and then the rear wheels just lock up. Apart from being somewhat dangerous, it's really embarrassing to come sliding to a stop just to give someone else right of way to pass a parked car :oops: I don't notice any problems at all under normal braking, and the brakes are plenty strong enough to lock all of the wheels if I need to (albeit with my full weight behind the brake pedal..).. brake discs and pads are a bit worn, but not worryingly so, and all of the tyres have plenty of tread left on them.. so I'm not quite sure what's up with it..

Always possible that through some incredible coincidence my rear wheels just happen to have been on a loose surface every time I've braked heavily, I suppose.. but I think it's more likely to be the car.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions you may have..
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

Either your discs are far more shot than your drums, or (and?) more likely, it's your rear brake balance compensator playing up. Either take a peek through the workshop manual (haynes, or whatever else you prefer) to see if it has anything on adjusting it, or nip down your friendly kwik fit/etc and get them to fettle it.

Cuz you dont want that to happen if you have to put out the anchors on a wet corner...
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Ah, alrighty, thanks for that, I'll take a look at haynes later :) Would be nice to feel that I can brake sharply without sliding about like a go-kart..
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Just took a look at Haynes, it says that a load sensitive rear brake pressure compensator is fitted to some models.. having just taken a look at mine, it doesn't look like mine is one of them :? Not really sure what to do now..
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

um........ apart from that bit im none too sure on brake issues..... if there's some way to slightly weaken the drums and strengthen the fronts? (or get those discs and calipers checked)

just hope its not a sign one of your diagonally opposed circuits hasn't failed :shock: or maybe overly worn rear tyres?

or p'raps its just a mk2 problem :D (wish someone else would jump in here and clear it up :roll: )
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Having been doing some rather extensive testing (driving like a madman :) ), I've come to the conclusion that I was just being a bit nervous about this.. it occurred to me that every time this has happened has been on a country road, usually loose mud etc all over the place, and it's always the nearside rear that locks up first, ie the one that's on the mud at the side of the road. So.. I think probably all I have to worry about is the fact that the brakes are shocking as standard :)
lynas83
New

Post by lynas83 »

just a thought, if you think it might be doing it a little still!

Mine had a tendancy to do that when i first got it... not too much but it would lock the back up in the wet... turned out to the the front lines needed bleeding... works great now!
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Ah, that's a thought.. I'll do that later, hadn't thought of trying that..
Aphex
Bronze Member

Post by Aphex »

i got fed up with my solid disks so fitted 239mm venteds up front and grabbed some mk1 type 2 golf calipers (also used on the mk2 rocco!)

stops on a penny!
the calipers are either £20 from a scrappy or £40 ea from GSF new. should be able to do disks and pads and cals for under £80