Noob - looking to buy a TDI

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Djaniero
New

Noob - looking to buy a TDI

Post by Djaniero »

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of selling my car, and looking to buy a MKVI Polo TDI Sport.
Initially I was looking into the 1.4tdi sport. However, after getting a few insurance quotes the 1.9 tdi sport seems to be cheaper to insure :?

I was just wondering what the main differences were between the 1.4tdi sport and the 1.9 tdi sport i.e. the 1.9 obviously has more power/torque but is that it?

Ive been into the Japanese car scene for the past 8 years, so my knowledge is limited when it comes to vws. I fancied a change with something a lil more refined and the polo seemed to tick all the boxes.

I'm hopefully going to test drive a few this weekend, (maybe test drive some mk4 golfs too).

What are the tdis like in terms of reliability, mpg, finding parts for them etc?
What common faults do they have/should I be looking out for when I go and look at them.

Lastly what do they drive like e.g. handling and power delivery?

Appologies for the showeing of questions on my first post, but thanks for any info you guys can give me on this.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Re: Noob - looking to buy a TDI

Post by K.I.T.T. »

The 1.4 PD75 is basically a 1.9 PD100 TDI with a cylinder lopped off.

Additionally, the 1.4 has a wastegated turbo as opposed to the VNT on a 1.9 which spools up better and boosts for longer (without a remap, you can feel the 1.4 struggle a bit after 3k RPM). With a remap, the 1.4 does get better (100 - 108bhp), but you can feel it run out of puff after 3.5k RPM.

The 1.9 will happily pull to 4k RPM and with a basic remap will do around 140bhp. The tuning possibilities on the 1.9 are quite extensive if you have the cash. 200bhp is relatively easy to get out of the engine, and quite a few put out 250bhp.

The 1.9 TDI has a longer gearbox than the 1.4 (cruises at about 65 MPH at 2000 RPM in 5th, as opposed to 55 MPH on the 1.4), but the 1.4 is slightly better suited to city driving. With regards to MPGs, I can only comment on 1.4 TDI. I usually get between 40 and 47MPG in town and if I stick to the speed limit on motorways, high 50s isn't hard to achieve. Sticking to 60 MPH will see over 60 MPG, and the most I've ever seen was 71 MPG on a 55 MPH economy run between London and Peterborough. Drving it enthusiastically on the motorways / country lanes will still see over 50 MPG. Driving like you stole it (100 MPH plus) will still see get you mid to high 40s. Stop start driving really kills the economy on TDIs (30 MPG tops) and they take ages to warm up too.

The engines are as reliable as a wood burning stove as long as the timing belt and tensioner is changed every 60k miles or 4 years. Also, regular (10k mile max) oil changes using VW 505.01 spec oil are a must. No official interval from VW on this one, but it's best to replace the water pump at around 60k, or as close to when a timing belt job is done.

Parts are relatively easy to source. Common faults specific to Polo 9ns (not the TDI necessarily) are coil springs can be a bit fragile - my front ones snapped at 29k. They've been revised, but it may be good preventative maintenance to put on -30mm Eibach springs. Console bushes are a bit dodgy, but this can be sorted out with Polyflex or Seat Cupra replacements. v68 motors in the air con system play up too, but they're an easy fix (if you're competent with a screwdriver and can spare a couple of hours). Alternator sense wires are known to snap on TDIs (due to engine vibrations). Tell-tale sign is the battery idiot light on the cluster doesn't light up when you turn the ignition on (not starting it). Again, relatively simple and cheap fix.

That's about all there is. And FWIW, I'd recommend the 1.9. I'm not biased either - I've had (and still do) my 1.4 TDI sport for nearly 4 years now. It's fun with a map, but keeps me longing for a bit more.

Ash :)
chewy_
Bronze Member

Post by chewy_ »

go for the 1.9 if you can find one.
MODDED9N
Gold Member

Post by MODDED9N »

had a 1.4tdi 9N, now got a 1.9tdi S 9n3... Much faster... Theres a silver one in the for sale section with a few engine mods. Worth a punt.
Djaniero
New

Post by Djaniero »

@ K.I.T.T - Thanks alot for the response. Well appreciated.

Is the shorter gearing between the two really noticeable? Ive got quite short gearing in my current car which I've become quite used to.
That said, the polo will be my daily driver, and I do quite alot of motorway miles, so the 1.9 sounds like a better option.

Why is the 1.4 more to insure than the 1.9? I thought it would be the other way around?
Also, what are they like for space inside? I'm roughly 6'0ft. Can 4 people comfortably travl in one?
I also need to get my push bikes the car now and again. Would the boot be big enough once the seats are folded down?

Thanks

@ chewy - Are the 1.9s harder to come by. I seem to be finding more 1.4s on the net.

Also guys, what is the difference between the 1.4tdi s and the 1.4tdi sport....is it just the interior?

e.g this being a 1.4tdi s

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

and this one being a 1.4tdi sport

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Ive seen a few polo sports that have the blue strip on the seats and the door cards?
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Post by Ben90 »

The Sport is one or 2 trim levels up from the S, is you look closely at the pictures the Sport model has sport seats with bigger bolsters, the one pictured has a 6cd changer in the dash instead of a shelf, alloy wheels etc etc. The sport model is also factory lowered by 15mm which is nice and generally gives the car a better stance, feels nice and firm to drive without sacrificing comfort.

Oh and the sports seats come with little storage drawers under them :D
Djaniero
New

Post by Djaniero »

Thanks for that Ben90.

Just one more thing. Should I be weary of buying a high milage car? I've seen a few that have done 100k plus miles....some with SH and some with part SH.

Do they keep their value once they have exceeded the 100k mark?
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Sport models also has front fog lamps.

Mileage isn't that important as long as it's been taken care of. FSH is essential, and ideally you want to be able to make sure what oil was run in it. And with regards to value, well I don't think it'd plummet in value. I'm presuming the ones around 100k go for about £3k. Lower mileage ones (40k ish) still hover around the £4k mark.

Ash :)
Djaniero
New

Post by Djaniero »

Yeah, price wise they're around £2600 - £3000 for high milage examples, while the lower mileage cars are around the 4k mark.

I dont really trust local Garages, so my mechanic always services all my cars. I'm guessing this may put off any potential buyers in the future if the service book is not officially stamped?

Also, why is the 1.4 more expensive to insure than the 1.9?
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Who knows? Insurance prices seem to be a load of b****x that doesn't make sense!

As long as the service history is complete and the book is stamped (by whoever) it shouldn't make too much of a difference...

VW cocked up on mine once and I started taking it to an Independent "Bosch Service" garage. Don't think my car could be in better hands.

Ash
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

Watch out for the turbo on 100k+ cars, they do tend to start to go after this sort of mileage - although it's not the end of the world if they do.

The weak point on the 9N is the suspension and the heater. Make sure the heater is blowing out the right temperature you're asking it for, and there are no creaks or knocks from the suspension - applies to both 1.4 and 1.9TDI.
scotty733
Getting There!

Post by scotty733 »

Hi there, i have a gt tdi 9n for sale in raven blue! Pm me if your interested?
chewy_
Bronze Member

Post by chewy_ »

K.I.T.T. wrote: Alternator sense wires are known to snap on TDIs (due to engine vibrations). Tell-tale sign is the battery idiot light on the cluster doesn't light up when you turn the ignition on (not starting it). Again, relatively simple and cheap fix.
Think mine is on its way out. sometimes the battery light is on and other times its not. Is there a guide anywhere on how to fix it?