Winter Wheels/Tyres for GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
SteveP
Getting There!

Winter Wheels/Tyres for GTI

Post by SteveP »

Anyone know what the VW recommended size is? I presume it will be 16"s as these are the smallest to fit over the brakes?
Edi30
Gold Member

Re: Winter Wheels/Tyres for GTI

Post by Edi30 »

SteveP wrote:Anyone know what the VW recommended size is? I presume it will be 16"s as these are the smallest to fit over the brakes?
Sorry I don't know but why would you bother in the uk as we don't have winters which require studded tyres?
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

Edi30 wrote:
SteveP wrote:Anyone know what the VW recommended size is? I presume it will be 16"s as these are the smallest to fit over the brakes?
Sorry I don't know but why would you bother in the uk as we don't have winters which require studded tyres?
Winter tyres don't have studs in them. They have a different tread pattern and are made of a different compound to make them more effective in lower temperatures. You simply can't imagine how effective they are in snow until you've tried them, well worth the money, especially if you have a spare set of alloys to fit them on.

Might be worth seeing if the dealer do a winter tyre option from the accessories catalogue. You don't need to buy it but it should give the wheel dimensions and you'd be able to source a cheaper set in the same size.
SteveP
Getting There!

Post by SteveP »

As normal dealers didn't have a clue, the German Accessories list shows a 15" wheel for the 6R Polo but I am 99% this won't fit over the brakes.
Der Finne.
Getting There!

Post by Der Finne. »

A 15" wheel does fit over the GTI brakes, at least the original VW Sima does: http://www.vagarena.fi/index.php?topic=3007.0 (see 3rd pic)
195/55R15 would be the ideal tyre size for a winter tyre.

16" is a safe wheel choice for the GTI brakes: 7x16", offset 35mm, PCD 5x100, CB 57.1mm will fit and is the most usual size in 16" aftermarket wheels suitable for the Polo. The original VW alloy has an offset of 46mm, so anything from 35 to 46 will fit.

As for a tyre, a 215/45R16 is equivalent in overall radius to the original 215/40R17 summer tyre. Or if you want to choose a little narrower tyre (better penetration through snow/slush) then 195/50R16 is the size you'll want.
Der Finne.
Getting There!

Post by Der Finne. »

Der Finne. wrote:A 15" wheel does fit over the GTI brakes, at least the original VW Sima does: http://www.vagarena.fi/index.php?topic=3007.0 (see 3rd pic)

16" is a safe wheel choice for the GTI brakes: 7x16", offset 35mm, PCD 5x100, CB 57.1mm will fit and is the most usual size in 16" aftermarket wheels suitable for the Polo. The original VW alloy has an offset of 46mm, so anything from 35 to 46 will fit.

As for a tyre, a 215/45R16 is equivalent in overall radius to the original 215/40R17 summer tyre. Or if you want to choose a little narrower tyre (better penetration through snow/slush) then 195/50R16 is the size you'll want.
Aren't all the factory approved tyre sizes listed on your registration document BTW?
SteveP
Getting There!

Post by SteveP »

Der Finne. wrote:
Der Finne. wrote:A 15" wheel does fit over the GTI brakes, at least the original VW Sima does: http://www.vagarena.fi/index.php?topic=3007.0 (see 3rd pic)

Aren't all the factory approved tyre sizes listed on your registration document BTW?
Nothing on the UK reg document.

Thanks for the rest of the info :D
Grey_Polo
Bronze Member

Post by Grey_Polo »

I live in Switzerland and have 2 sets of wheels for my Polo (not a GTI). One with summer tyres and one with winter tyres. Winter tyres are not a legal requirement here, but if you have an accident in the winter months and were using summer tyres, you insurance could be restricted or invalidated.

I change the wheels myself every November and April and use a torque wrench to get the correct wheel nut tension. It takes about 25 minutes to change all 4 wheels and I mark each with where it come from (front right etc.) so they go back in the same place.

My summer wheels are 214 x 45 on 16" rims and winter are 175 x 70 on 14" rims. Winter tyres have a more open tread and are made of a softer compound. They should only be used when temperatures are below 8°C. If used in the summer they wear down quickly.

Some points that might help you decided what to do:
  • - Winter or snow tyres, as opposed to all-weather tyres, should be narrower than summer tyres. This gives more weight on the contact point with the ground. So a GTI will look nasty on thin tyres.
  • This is essentially a whole new set of wheels and tyres and is expensive, especially when manufacturers recommend they be used only for 5 years and then replaced.
  • The do give considerably more grip and combined with ESP (traction control) will give better handling IMO than a 4x4 with summer tyres.
  • Chains are a real pain and are for emergencies only. It takes longer to get them on and off than changing all four wheels. It is like driving of a cattle grid all the time and will soon loosed fillings. I have never needed them on the last 15 years although we have 3 to 4 weeks of white roads around us.
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

Hi mate, just found this on the German VW site if it's any interest to you. Copied from Google Translate:

Sima XL 185/60 R15 88T, Brilliant Silver

Even in winter sports top styled in lightweight metallic look! The 15''Winter Sima does not only look good but also offers maximum security. Combined, the original alloy wheels with premium wheel Nokian WR G2 185/60 R15 88T XL for a dynamic driving style in any weather situation. The wheel is supplied completely assembled and balanced.
Item Number: 8Z8 6R0073295
Price: 189,00 EUR

Rim name: Sima
Color: Brilliant Silver
Wheel size: 6 J x 15
Press-in depth [mm]: 40
PCD [mm] / number of holes: 100 / 5
Tire manufacturer Nokian
Tire designation: WR G2
Tire Type: Winter - without directional design
Tire Size: 185/60 R15 88T XL
Supplied with wheel: Included hub cap
Note Wheel + Tyre: ABE requirements of the current or the current report are to be observed
Also be used with snow chains
000091387N