New member - 2011 Polo 1.2 TSI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
stuart.cameron
Bronze Member

Re: New member - 2011 Polo 1.2 TSI

Post by stuart.cameron »

Der Finne. wrote:
stuart.cameron wrote: Where did you get your footwell lights from?

Cheers
VW. :wink:

Part number 7L0 947 415 for the lamp, 1J0 971 972 for the connector body and 000 979 131 for the repair wire whose pins fit into the connector body.
Cheers.

Easy to fit? and roughly how much?
Der Finne.
Getting There!

Post by Der Finne. »

A bit fiddly to run the wires inside the dashboard at least in an LHD car, especially if you want to integrate the wires to the existing loom. But doable. I removed the A-pillar trim, glovebox and radio for better access.
Easiest to connect the wires to the roof light connector's pins 1 and 2, that way the footwell lights dim in sync with the roof lights.
Der Finne.
Getting There!

Post by Der Finne. »

No idea of UK prices, but here in Finland the parts were a little over 40 euros IIRC.

BTW, you can LED versions of the lamp (ebay), but for the interior I prefer the warmer tone of the incandescent bulb.
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

Der Finne. wrote:Not bad, although they are flat, not convex like proper VW ones. I'd happily buy genuine VW centre caps, but don't know if any are available in 60mm? Could anyone with genuine Boavistas or other Polo alloys measure their centre caps to see if they're 60mm?
Sorry for the delay mate, just seen this. Measured my centre caps and they're actually 50mm :)
Der Finne.
Getting There!

Post by Der Finne. »

AJ_7 wrote:
Der Finne. wrote:Not bad, although they are flat, not convex like proper VW ones. I'd happily buy genuine VW centre caps, but don't know if any are available in 60mm? Could anyone with genuine Boavistas or other Polo alloys measure their centre caps to see if they're 60mm?
Sorry for the delay mate, just seen this. Measured my centre caps and they're actually 50mm :)
Cheers mate! :D That was really helpful, although it means I now can forget the Boavista centre caps as thy're too small then.

But Plan B is hatching: I just received a parcel from Bulgaria containing some bits that I'll gently man-handle, then 2-k epoxy them to some other existing bits in the garage, hoping to create some awesomeness... :wink: :mrgreen:
Der Finne.
Getting There!

Post by Der Finne. »

Winter alloy centre caps, Plan B. :wink:

As I mentioned earlier, I bought cheap 16" Boavista lookalikes to use as my winter alloys. While the wheel itself is moderately OEM looking, its 'Rundo' centre cap certainly isn't. It's extremely bland, really letting down the design: :(

Plan A was to get suitable original VW centre caps to fit instead of those 'Rundo' caps. Easier said than done! The diameter of the centre cap recess in the wheel is 60mm, and VW currently don't seem to have a cap in that size available. Another problem stems from the depth of the recess:

The recess is over 7mm deep so that's also the required thickness of the cap. You can fit a shallower cap, but it won't look right:

I searched the net and ebay for hours, and while there are several 60mm centre caps or centre cap stickers available for VW, none seemed to be thick enough. From passatplus.de I found a part number for an original VW 60mm centre cap (3B9 071 214 666), but that seemed to be a discontinued item. Went to my local VW parts dealer anyway, and surprisingly they were able to trace down three NOS caps from various dealers in Finland. I bought them, only to realise they too were too shallow...

I had also bought some pressed aluminium VW stickers (flat surface) I thought I'd simply stick over the Rundo caps. This would have been relatively easy, but on trial fit with some double-sided tape it soon became clear that, being flat, the sticker didn't look very OEM. Current VW caps are fairly domed, and I wanted that look.

Then I ordered some slightly domed caps through ebay from a Bulgarian seller. They were 60mm again, and again I could already see from the pictures they were too shallow. But I already had my Plan B forming in my mind... :wink:

By this time I had a fairly presentable collection of centrecapobilia:

Front row l->r: Rundo cap | flat VW OEM cap (3B9 071 214 666) | flat pressed aluminium sticker
Back row l->r: domed cap from my RS6 replicas | spare cap without logo for the RS6 replicas | domed cap ordered from Bulgaria

Let's have a closer look at the Bulgarian-sourced cap:

The cap is obviously yet again too shallow, but what if.... :idea:

Let's take one Bulgarian-sourced cap and hack off it's feet:

Then take the RS6 spare cap and push it in place:

Trial-fit the modified Bulgarian one (well, originally Chinese I'd guess...) over the RS6 one:

And we have a winner! The protrusion and doming looks convincingly OEM, doesn't it? 8)

Let's go about securing the two together. First I roughened both surfaces to be joined together, followed by degreasing:

Then mix some Araldit epoxy glue with hardener:

Then apply the glue and leave to cure:

Tomorrow the glue will have cured and I can remove the 'bandages' to see how the operation went. For those of you :shock:ing that 'He's permanently glued his centre cap to his wheel!": no I haven't. Just the one cap to the one beneath.
Der Finne.
Getting There!

Post by Der Finne. »

Meet the Hybrid:

The operation was a success, the height of the cap now perfect for my needs. The original Rundo cap on the left, the hybrid on the right:

Just came back from the garage where I just did the other three, now left to cure overnight.
Der Finne.
Getting There!

Post by Der Finne. »

I changed to winter tyres today. Probably a couple of weeks before the first snow up here, but now there's no need to worry so much about black ice in the mornings/evenings.

More picture pollution...

I must say the car now looks even more anaemic on those 16" wheels than it did with the 17s. (And the dreary overcast weather wasn't helping any...)

But on a brighter note: On my 60-mile test route, the fuel efficiency on these 195/50R16 winter tyres went up by 4.7mpg (from 55.4 to 60.1) compared to the 215/40R17 summer tyres! Which was nice.
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

That looks brilliant mate. Bit of a dab hand when it comes to improvising with parts aren't you? :D
d5mkv
Getting There!

Post by d5mkv »

looks amazing mate a love the 6r's in white yav done a good job with it
Der Finne.
Getting There!

Post by Der Finne. »

Thanks! :)
Marc080
New

Post by Marc080 »

Nice job! It's the small things that make a huge difference tbh...
This might sound like a very silly question, what website do you use when you give the part numbers? i live in the Uk and the Volkswagen website doesn't seem to show a lot of the products available...
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

Marc080 wrote:Nice job! It's the small things that make a huge difference tbh...
This might sound like a very silly question, what website do you use when you give the part numbers? i live in the Uk and the Volkswagen website doesn't seem to show a lot of the products available...
The VW website isn't very much use to be honest, a lot of the forum members have EKTA which is a parts catalogue used by VW. Most of the time if you google the part your after, you will find the part number somewhere. If there's some parts your after now if you post them here i'll try my best to find the part numbers for you :)
Marc080
New

Post by Marc080 »

im after the following: Chrome exhaust trim, Polished pedal caps, footwell lights and all connectors, GTI grill, and a nice door trim to finish it up... a lot of the stuff is in this thread, but im looking it all as cheap as possible as i am still a student.. :) cheers
Bladezn
New

Post by Bladezn »

Hi there.

You car looks GREAT! I am seriously impressed by the quality of work you have done and your great taste.

I am about to purchase a Polo myself and want a few accessories. Did you by any chance source these items from a website? If so, please provide me with some links - I am really battling to find polo accessories online.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Regards