Polo 1.2 TSI Turbo model

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
tanyeehou
New

Polo 1.2 TSI Turbo model

Post by tanyeehou »

Hi guys,

I'm actually one of them Honda guys *points somewhere down south*, but I've driven the Polo and I really love it. The problem is that it costs about 108,000 here in Malaysia and I can't afford it yet (I just graduated, starting work next month : ) )

Anyway, long story short is that I'm thinking of increasing my little Honda's drivability (not aiming for outright power, but a little more low end kick) as I aim to keep it for the next 3-5 years, and was wondering what model turbo does the Polo use? The only info I got from the net is that it uses an IHI unit (source: http://www.volkswagen.com.sg/sg/en/meta ... ngine.html) and was hoping that someone here might be able to help me with checking the markings on the turbo. I doubt I can go into the showroom and start poking around the bonnets of their cars.

Thanks guys in advance!
Der Finne.
Getting There!

Re: Polo 1.2 TSI Turbo model

Post by Der Finne. »

I believe the turbo on the 1.2 TSI is an integral part of the exhaust manifold, so first of all you might be struggling to physically get it to fit to your Honda engine... ;)

Another thing to consider is that it has an electronically controlled wastegate instead of a conventional vacuum-controlled one. The wastegate is controlled by the engine ECU, so that's another thing not so easily integrated into the Honda's electrics...

Sorry can't help you with the turbo's model, I've taken one picture of my turbo but it only has "IHI 1634" on its casting. I'm afraid that's not the model of the turbo, though.

EDIT: Found this: http://www.volkswagen.com.sg/sg/en/meta ... ngine.html
tanyeehou
New

Re: Polo 1.2 TSI Turbo model

Post by tanyeehou »

Hey Der Finne,

Googled around a bit for the part and its not available, so I'm guessing its only available to manufacturers.

I was also guessing that VW might be using a ball-and-spring type of wastegate, but now that you've brought it up I'll agree with you that its probably controlled by the ECU.

Anyway, thanks loads for your help. This takes the whole piece off my chest tonight. I can finally stop wondering if the VW turbo will fit heh.