gearbox

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

beg/borrow/steal a digicam and host the shots on http://www.imageshack.us... there's a lot of metal bits :D

please tell me you're driving a 1.3, my brain is starting to hurt with all these stories of 1-litre mk2 owners going "off the clock" (look, seriously, your dials only go to 100) when they're supposed to have a lower top speed than the mk3 (and i've hit terminal velocity at 107).

good to hear it's all gone beautifully apart from that leak, however!
Rob119
New

Post by Rob119 »

yes its a 1.3

i will try get some pics done soon
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

Top speeds are more or less identical. Apparently a 4 speed 1.0 mk2 will do 88mph flat out and a 5 speed mk3 will do 90. So not much difference at all really, prob the same if you had a 5speed mk2. you can do 100 in a 1.3 with a fair amount of ease. Gets a bit scary when u get there tho.

107? what rpm were you doing? :o :shock:
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

I reckon that was the first time I managed to kiss 6000 in top, without a slipping clutch :D Would have been into redline territory with a Mk2!

Mind you that wasn't adjusting for the speedo or the tyres :) ... it's consistently 1mph over, plus whatever small difference 155/70s make to 145/80s :roll:
(got it up to indicated 106 on the taller but skinnier tyres - a % lower revs but probably faster road speed)

That was down a mother of all motorway hills in dorset, mind! I'm going to go off to Shap sometime in the middle of the night, see if i can beat it... probably go even quicker with a 5 speed in that situation.. :lol: :lol:

And if you must know, yes, it was scary as f***, but still not as bad as you might imagine!
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Ive been there. 103 in my black GT about 5500 rpm, at the time tho I had huge tyres 185/60/14. So it worked out about 110mph. But then my engine gave up (was knackered anyway but me doin that didnt help) It stil ran and I could still drive it but it was makin a horrible noise, and using oil like theres no tomorrow.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Tahrey1043 wrote:Would have been into redline territory with a Mk2!
Nah, redline doesn't exist on a mk2 :D Even on the rare models with a rev counter (still trying to track one down in a scrappy.. although I think I've found a Jetta with the same type of dials that I'm looking into getting), there wasn't a redline, not even a marker to vaguely hint at where you should stop thrashing your engine :) I believe the maximum recommended RPM (on cars with red lines marked on the speedo according to which gear you're in) was about 6200 though.
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Youll have to find a coupe s or an early ranger (They were less generous on late madels) for a rev counter. MK1 golf dials also fit and have the added benefit of going up to 120mph. The only problem with these is there is some extra wiring involved, cant remember exactly what but I think its to do with the oil pressure switch. I would assume mk1 jetta dials are also the same but not mk2s/mk2 golfs
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Hmm.. I know you can't use the mk2 golf dials with the MFA computer doodah, but I thought the standard dials were the same? The reason I say this is that whereas all mk2 golfs with a rev counter seem to have the MFA, this mk2 jetta that I've found has a rev counter and a digital clock in the place of the MFA display, I just assumed it'd be pretty much the same as the polo. Probably wrong though :(
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

If its the same size had has the same plug then its worth a try...