6N2 Pedal Box Problem?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
bewsh
New

6N2 Pedal Box Problem?

Post by bewsh »

I just had an interesting drive, I pressed the clutch in and a cylindrical piece of metal fell from somewhere and the clutch pedal and accelerator pedal are quite bad now. They both still work, but the clutch pedal feels like its hanging on my a thread and the accelerator feels as if it has dropped.

Here's a picture of the cylindrical tube that dropped out.
http://i39.tinypic.com/sql81x.jpg

And here's a video of the pedals:
https://www.youtube*.com/watch?v=Zx4ekIdv_2k

It's pitch black out now so can't really see much, but has anyone ever had this, and any ideas where the metal came from? Is it a new pedal box required or can this piece of metal be re-inserted to the correct place?
benmkiv
Platinum Member

6N2 Pedal Box Problem?

Post by benmkiv »

Tht does look quite important. I can't advise you as to what this is but Incan tell you that the pedal box is a common problem but it's usually one of the spot welds which just snaps. I don't know what this is.
bewsh
New

Re: 6N2 Pedal Box Problem?

Post by bewsh »

Thanks for the reply. I managed to get an early finish in work today so I'll get some light on the situation and see where it goes, and hopefully it'll fit back in place.
bewsh
New

Post by bewsh »

Right, I've had a look at the pedal box (most uncomfortable half hour of my life!) and looks like I've found the fault.

http://i39.tinypic.com/18f9fq.jpg
This is an image of where the clutch pedal should be, the bolt looks like it's snapped in half.

http://i43.tinypic.com/othpbk.jpg
and this is where the metal cylindrical tube goes, it goes through the clutch pedal and over the bolt.

I spoke to VW and I can buy the bolt which goes through the clutch pedal and the brake pedal, a new nut, and all the other bits and bobs. Has anyone ever replaced these parts? Does the bolt come out easy enough?
benmkiv
Platinum Member

6N2 Pedal Box Problem?

Post by benmkiv »

Ah yeah seen this happen on my mates Mkiv golf. It's an easy enough job man, nowhere near as s**t as if the weld had popped. Ita fiddly but if you can get in to see the problem youll be able to change it too.
bewsh
New

Post by bewsh »

Do you know if the pedal box has to come out or can you replace the pivot bolt with the pedal box in place? I can see me stripping loads of dash out mind! Maybe I'll remove the front seat or the steering wheel to make it a bit easier and more comfortable.
benmkiv
Platinum Member

6N2 Pedal Box Problem?

Post by benmkiv »

It would be easier to take the pedal box out I think in the polo. Lots of people say that it's a dash out job, that's how mine was done was a good three days work. Pedal boxes are around £45 and I have it on good authority that they can be done with a long chisel on the sheer bolts ;)
bewsh
New

Post by bewsh »

Got all the parts from VW today, came to about £30! But these parts don't come with the pedal box so, had to buy them separate. The guy in VW said you should be able to do it with the pedal box in place but it's just a bit awkward to do, so I'll have a go of that first and then if not, get a new pedal box and (may as well change if when I'm there) and rip it all out!

Ye, I've heard a lot of people saying the shear bolts are a nightmare of a job to remove! So just whack it with a chisel to get a mark in it and then see if I can hit the dent to turn the bolt?
DUB_Mcxxx
Bronze Member

Post by DUB_Mcxxx »

This may be a tad unrelated but my Dad got a bracket for his pedal box for his T4 the other day, it just bolts straight on and strengthens it to prevent it bending and eventually breaking. is there anything like this for the 6N2's?