Oil overfill

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Oil overfill

Post by GroovyCarrot »

I just did a very silly thing. Someone just came to take a look at my car, thinking of buying it, so of course I went around and checked all the levels etc before they came. Noticed the oil was a bit low, so I topped it up.. and overfilled it. When they came to look at it, it took a few tries to start and then started blowing smoke when they revved it up.

So now I'm wondering, is this just the car burning off the excess oil, or am I more likely to have blown the head gasket with the extra pressure from the oil? It does only smoke when it's cold and under pressure, but it certainly wasn't doing it before I overfilled it.. I just don't know whether to be particularly worried or not :?
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

Probably just burning oil..... pop a pan underneath the sump and open the drain plug a little to let the excess out :D
(put the marigolds on - if you drop it, you'll want to grab it and whack it back in pretty sharpish unless you've money to waste)

not so bad unless you've REALLY overfilled it (how far did you go?). now, if it was a mk3, you'd have fouled the catalyser... :D no need to freak in your case i'm hoping.

mebbe might have got some splashed on your plugs, carbonised on the valves, what have you....
LogIK
Silver Member

Post by LogIK »

It will be burning the oil off, which isn't good at all for your cat. Also, overfilling the oil can be just as bad as not filling it with oil. It can damage oil seals and also cause the pistons to smack against the oil in the sump.

I'd do what Tahrey said and drain some off, but it is going to be very messy getting that plug back in. Make sure you do this as soon as you can, as its not good to be running the engine like that.

So I take it you didn't sell the car then? :lol:
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

well its a mk2 so no cat, but still if there's black smoke after you've overfilled... stop the engine immediately and let some oil out!
LogIK
Silver Member

Post by LogIK »

D'oh, oh yeah. Not used to posting in MK2 forums.
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

update...

well, i had to do this manuever myself after being rescued by the RAC. tis indeed not all that difficult or time consuming, if you do it right (which i didn't do 100%). points to note however.

0. jack the car up a little. not even enough to lift the wheels off the ground, but a bit of clearance so you don't hang yourself horizontally on the bumper (or in the case of mk2, the sharp metal bodywork - even worse!) is nice. a good way to do it is if your road has a lot of camber, get in pretty close to the kerb then lift up one side until the whole thing's level, and approach the task side-on.

1. run the engine briefly so the oil warms a little and will run out a bit more eagerly (and is mixed so the old sludge is carried out by suspension in lighter, newer, freshly over-topped oil).

1a. dont make it too hot though - a minute or two of idle is plenty. if the temp needle moves at all give it a good 5 or even 10 minutes cooling off time. You might think 50'c air temperature coming out of a 2kw heating fan is hot? here's a thing to consider - water is 20x more thermally conductive than air (chills or scalds you much more effectively), and things cook quicker fried than boiled because oil is even more so. try it at 60'c or more........................ ouchie.
(sooooooooooo glad i had the marigolds on)

2. long sleeved rubber gloves are preferable. that, and/or swarfega, sugar soap...

3. OLD CLOTHES. as in stuff you care so little about you cant even be arsed to throw it away.

4. make sure your pan is correctly aligned and deep enough. if using one of those fancy canisters which is like an oil bottle but with a pan moulded on the side and a removable stopper at one end of the pan, have the stopper hole to the FRONT of the car. otherwise oil goes on road.

5. dont park on the driveway. (i didnt - thankfully)

6. adjustable wrench or, surprisingly, the same size spark-plug wrench tool as you'd use on the top of the engine works well. dont know what size it is, but it's not the 10mm spanner size used everywhere else on the car.

7. nice firm grip on the bolt. the oil when this full comes out quickly and with some force - you dont need to let it run for long (10-15 seconds tops) before it will have dropped a half litre and it's time to retest, so you dont want to overdo it by dropping the bolt and having to scrabble for it and try to restopper the hole without cross-threading. Better to have it ready-aligned and in place. plus it means you wont lose the washer, or have to put the old sludgy sump-bottom oil back in if you dont have enough to top up the loss with.

8. biological stain-eating 30'c whites-only washing powder on standby. it does wonders for getting rid of oil patches if you sprinkle on sparingly, rub in with a broom then hose off.

9. plenty of kitchen roll or other large-sheeted tissue material as well.

yes, still easy - just requires preparation to go smoothly :D