The GTI! - Alex's Thread - Leather :D

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: The GTI! - Alex's Thread - Back on the GTI scene :)

Post by alexperkins »

Cheers buddy

It's g60 discs and GTI pads. You may need to shave the edges of the pad backing down a little to get the pads to fit Into the carrier properly. Either that or fit G60 calipers so you can fit G60 pads as they are thicker

Oem pads and discs would be my recommendation or something like brembo discs and jurid pads
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Who can spot whats changed :P

Id say theres at least 3 things!

Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

Post by Aquavalver »

alexperkins wrote:Who can spot whats changed :P

Id say theres at least 3 things!

changed from the trio pics or from you originally got it? Grill surround? Not so easy to see as the previous pics were further away!

What led bulbs did you use for the boot, interior and side-lights? The ones I bought for the sidelights were not that bright, so I used some otehrs that I already had, but they are maybe a touch too blue-white. They look like around 8000k colour temp. Need to get some new 6000k HID bulbs at some point.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Grill surround, VW badge now has a red trim, splitter is now carbon vinyl wrapped in red :)

I got some from a seller on eBay. Sidelight ones are excellent - really impressed with them to be honest

I can get the links out for them if you like?

As for xenon bulbs, get 5000k - 6000k is very blue by comparison and almost too far.
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

Post by Aquavalver »

alexperkins wrote:Grill surround, VW badge now has a red trim, splitter is now carbon vinyl wrapped in red :)

I got some from a seller on eBay. Sidelight ones are excellent - really impressed with them to be honest

I can get the links out for them if you like?

As for xenon bulbs, get 5000k - 6000k is very blue by comparison and almost too far.
What colour HID's do you have or are they the originals? What colour temp are the originals? 4000k? Trouble is that sadly, you can't get the main beam lights to match the sidelights or HID's if you go 5000k+ colourwise. I did buy an led boot light, but it didn't fit-think it must have been for later Polo's. Yeah, would be handy if you could let me know the links please?!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Originals in mine - 4300k

5000k D2S bulbs are readily available, and I think you can get 5000k H1 HID Kits - not HID main beams are not legal on MOT now as they dont start fast enough, especially when a non OEM kit is installed

6000k is available for both the dipped and main beams but again its rather blue

Heres the item numbers for eBay

Number Plate - 261068462930
Boot Light - 261064202238
Sidelight - 251105130262
Interior light - 251103912370
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

So a little update
  • BMC is fitted :D Just waiting for a new bend and some more pipe so I can finish it nicely as I have made it fit in for now

Replaced the passenger side repeater as it kept filling up with water

New boot struts so I no longer hit myself in the head when opening the boot

2012 maps now on the satnav. Interestingly, Pioneer have moved over to tom-tom map data, so the maps should be a little more up to date now.

Front and back mudflaps now fitted :D Finding a set of fronts was a bit of a nightmare as they are so rare now.

Painted the rocker cover with a fresh coat of red paint, though I may need to redo it as im not 100% happy with the finish as it crinkled up when I refitted the HT lead tray
I think thats about it for now. More bits and pieces to come, but for the moment its more a focus of finishing the BMC off and getting the breather piped in properly so it doesnt smell of fumes inside the cabin!

A new exhaust is on the horizon as mine is starting to show its age, but as yet Im still trying to work out what I want, where its coming from and when I will get it.

Id also like to drop it 35-40mm as you could fit a babys head under the rear arch- if anyone has any decent springs kicking around that they dont need, do let me know!

Ill try and remember to get some photos some time soon. Gonna attack it with the DA and give it a good coat of collinite 476s on a weekend coming up to get her ready for the winter months!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Plans sound good mate!

I've owned my fabia coming on a year now and still haven't found time to machine polish it, may leave it until the spring now..

Also, full beams HIDs are legal for MOT. I've had on my cars since my second MOT on my polo! My fabia went through MOT with them on not two weeks ago.
The kits always flash full power before dimming down and powering up, so for flashing they're fine. And within 10 seconds they're at 100% brightness, if you them frequently enough whilst driving they maintain brightness every time you turn them on. So the 'power up' phase is only for 10 seconds at the start of your journey.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Sounds unlike you Tim. I know what your like with the DA!

Thats interesting. Last time I went they were like these wont be legal on the next MOT

To be fair, for the limited amount I use the main beams HIDs would be pointless, but thats good to know. Might be tempted at some point on the future 8)
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Ha I know! Hard finding the time nowadays though.

I could probably fit it in November, but just not sure if its worth leaving til after the winter now?

Yeh I've never had anything said about them, and I think I've been to 4 different MOT testers last few years?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Yeah know what you mean.

Its hard to say. Mine needs a good going over, as it hasnt got a great deal of protection on. Being red, it shows up the marks far worse than black too!

Interesting. Obviously the guy I had was just an arse :evil:
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Aye fair enough, may as well do it all in one!

I've just autumn prepped mine, so only needs a top up in a month or so and that'll technically be good protection wise. Well see how much time I have in November!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Cool man :)
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Fingers crossed I should have a full stainless exhaust fitted by the end of Sunday 8)
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

So the stainless exhaust was abandoned, but winter mode is now complete

Wheels and headlight protectors fitted 8) Pic to follow