Putting in Xenons and Fog lights - guide

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
foggy69
Getting There!

Re: Putting in Xenons and Fog lights - guide

Post by foggy69 »

It isn't just about the MOT, the law states that unless you have self levelling and headlight washers then using a HID kit is not road legal. Even the people who sell them say that
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/faqs.html

I would phone up your insurance company and tell them you are thinking about fitting a HID kit that is for off road use only and you are going to use it on road and see what they say.
I expect that If you are involved in an accident, the insurance company would say that the car was not road legal and decline any claim. You are just giving them the excuse they need to get out of paying the claim.

If you want to see better at night, just buy a set of Osram Night Breaker bulbs, fully legal, much cheaper and very effective.
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Post by benmkiv »

This argument has come around a million times on this forum. Same answer every time.
Marc080
New

Post by Marc080 »

the levelers in my car still work on the HIDS... and as for the whole crashing and insurance company not paying out, i would like to show you a picture of my last polo but ill save the embarrassment. Basically it was a complete ride off, had xenons fitted, didn't inform the insurance company at the time... after the accident i did ask if would affect it, they said no, if anything they are better as they do provide more light...

some insurance companies even lower the cost by up to £20 if you have tinted windows, less theft ;)
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Post by benmkiv »

Yeah the levellers will work but they will not be self levelling.
foggy69
Getting There!

Post by foggy69 »

Marc080 wrote:the levelers in my car still work on the HIDS... and as for the whole crashing and insurance company not paying out, i would like to show you a picture of my last polo but ill save the embarrassment. Basically it was a complete ride off, had xenons fitted, didn't inform the insurance company at the time... after the accident i did ask if would affect it, they said no, if anything they are better as they do provide more light...

some insurance companies even lower the cost by up to £20 if you have tinted windows, less theft ;)
Please tell us the name of this fabulous insurance company, as most of them put the premiums up when you tell them you have modded the car.

As for not telling an insurance company about mods to the car, last year a friend had a nasty prang, and because he had fitted a body kit to the car and hadn't told the insurance company, they refused to pay out as they said he had broken the terms of the contract. Maybe he was unlucky, but when you give the insurance company so much money, I want to be damn sure I get it back when I need to.
I would tell them about the HID kit, and if they are happy with it, great news, if they are not, goto Marc080's insurers. :D
DbnGuy
New

Post by DbnGuy »

Hi Guys,

Could someone please give me some advice. I am in South Africa.

We do not have the option of Xenons with LED's.

I have just ordered my Polo GTI which should arrive in 3 weeks time.

I am thinking of buying the xenon headlights with LED's and having them retrofitted.

Can this be done? What advice can you guys give me? I heard from someone that it could be some problems with the sensors on the rear shocks for self-levelling and a fewer other bits and pieces

Could someone please explain self-levelling and if this would be a problem?

Thanks in advance.
DbnGuy
New

Post by DbnGuy »

Anyone? Need some advice please.
DbnGuy
New

Post by DbnGuy »

Hi guys,

Would I need the error cancellors for the Fogs as well?
Lieto
Bronze Member

Post by Lieto »

Yeah the levellers will work but they will not be self levelling.
Self leveling isnt the main problem. When you ride on a speed over a bumpy road they wont self-adjust in time anyway.
The problem however is the light border which isnt what it should be and will most likely "blind" other drivers. Fog lights as well.

I did put in lenses+xenon into my polo and my friend did same thing as you. Difference is dramatical and he changed to lenses over time as well.
Also i dont get it why you take pictures of the headlights itself, only thing that does matter is how the light looks on the road.
umar-dub
Silver Member

Post by umar-dub »

Looking very nice :) The l.e.d foglight bulbs did you had to buy CANBUS l.e.d foglights or just normal ones? Would you have a link as they look mint!
umar-dub
Silver Member

Post by umar-dub »

For those of you are going on about H.I.D's are a MOT failure.. Let me tell you something our cars (We run a chauffeuring business) go for a M.O.T every 6 months and its the most strict M.O.T where they check nearly everything (belts, seats etc...) and all our cars have 8000k xenon conversion kits and can assure you they have passed every time. Me who also runs a xenon conversion business (http://www.xenons-r-us.com) have done many of polo's and i give a gurantee that it will pass M.O.T. It all depends on the kits. Cheap kits give out a crap beam pattern which will fail M.O.T but whereas the kits i sell are H7R. The R means anti glare and give out a very good beam pattern. Built in cancellors in the ballast.

Im not here trying to advertise my business but what im trying to say is people cant go running around saying H.I.D's are a M.O.T failure. It depends on the beam pattern and if the lights are correctly adjusted and what kind of kit you have.

Also if you stick between 6000k and 8000k you be o.k. Anything above that will probably fail M.O.T
Marc080
New

Post by Marc080 »

sorry for the very late reply, no you dont need error cancellers for the fog lights
CANDYMAN
Gold Member

Post by CANDYMAN »

Do the Led fog bulbs need to be Canbus Compatable?? Was thinking of getting these http://www.car-mod-shop.co.uk/h11cree-1 ... t-drl.html
Marc080
New

Post by Marc080 »

they will be grand!
CANDYMAN
Gold Member

Post by CANDYMAN »

Will i need canbus type. :D