Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
kawabanga
Getting There!

Re: Are You Using Oil?

Post by kawabanga »

German quality... :shock: :shock:

EDIT: our Australian friends are not in a better situation... :cry: VWWatercooled
SWEPOLO
New

Post by SWEPOLO »

Could someone direct me to a guide on how to change oil? Preferably with pics.
I have the 90 TSI Engine and there is a plastic shield under the car that Im not sure if I need to remove before going on fairly wide ramps.
JCT 1991
Bronze Member

Post by JCT 1991 »

Really simple just remove the plastic tray it's about 8 torn screws and then the sump should be visible and get the right spanner for the job if memory serves me right it's 19 mm use a ring spanner if possible !

In resonance to the thread the engine has been put on overnight order from VW after a week of the dealership being painfully unhelpful ! So after a phone call to Volkswagen customer services today to lodge a complaint magically I received a phone call from the dealership this afternoon saying that the engine is on overnight delivery bring it in tomorrow !!!

Moral of the story is to COMPLAIN !!

Fingers crossed that the new engine will be an improvement !
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

JCT 1991 wrote:Really simple just remove the plastic tray it's about 8 torn screws and then the sump should be visible and get the right spanner for the job if memory serves me right it's 19 mm use a ring spanner if possible !

In resonance to the thread the engine has been put on overnight order from VW after a week of the dealership being painfully unhelpful ! So after a phone call to Volkswagen customer services today to lodge a complaint magically I received a phone call from the dealership this afternoon saying that the engine is on overnight delivery bring it in tomorrow !!!

Moral of the story is to COMPLAIN !!

Fingers crossed that the new engine will be an improvement !
Well done buddy! Yes - if anything like mine, the new engine will be a massive improvement, no oil added in 1150 miles.
JCT 1991
Bronze Member

Post by JCT 1991 »

these are the new readouts on the engine since it was fitted the originals was

Address 01: Engine (------CAVE) Labels: 03C-906-027-CAV2.clb
Part No SW: 03C 906 027 AR HW: 03C 906 027 AR
Component: 1.4l R4/4V TS H15 7924
Revision: L2H15--- Serial number:
Coding: 00250012002400000000
Shop #: WSC 00788 648 00255
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM14TSI01103C906027AR 001009
ROD: EV_ECM14TSI01103C906027AR.rod
VCID: 71E3E5E3A0B23B1

and the new code is this

Address 01: Engine (J623-CAVE) Labels: 03C-906-027-CAV2.clb
Part No SW: 03C 906 027 AR HW: 03C 906 027 AR
Component: 1.4l R4/4V TS H15 9970
Revision: L2H15--- Serial number:
Coding: 00250012002400000000
Shop #: WSC 00400 210 106073
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM14TSI01103C906027AR 001013
ROD: EV_ECM14TSI01103C906027AR.rod
VCID: 71E3E5E3A0FAEC90DE2

does anybody know what engine this is, is it the modified cave engine or the CTHE

Volkswagen are being majorly dodgy about the whole thing when i went in to pick up the car this afternoon on handing back to key to the hire car i was basically just given my key and told its all done and was given no information about what had been done ! i asked for the job card and they said there wasn't one and i asked had it been serviced and the answer was probably bring in your book to get stamped ! ive now rang VW customer services and mad a complaint and am going to cause murder because they have been so unprofessional during the whole process.
bullwinkle
New

Post by bullwinkle »

Aaaargh!

Car went in today for its 2nd service along with a few questions about what is being done on the whole Oil Consumption saga (a fix/new engine/reject car etc).

Just before they close for the day the receptionist calls me to advise the car is ready and that I need to do another 600 mile test!. I told her I will not be doing this and said I'm looking forward to speaking to them in person when I pick it up in the morning. I just have to make sure I keep calm and not go ballistic at them.

What are my reasonable demands? A new engine? reject the car as unfit for purpose? Also definetly gonna call VW Customer Service in the morning to lodge it officially.

I couldn't be more hacked-off by this right now.
JCT 1991
Bronze Member

Post by JCT 1991 »

Just ring customer services they seem to get the ball rolling big time !!
They just play funny buggers until you do !
scobb
New

Post by scobb »

Having enjoyed my 1.2TSI Highline for 12 months I'm very seriously considering a trade in to a new GTI (MY13) my dealer has in stock on a good deal. This thread and others similar on alternative sites have given me some serious pause for thought. I've got a couple of questions that I hope someone might be able to answer:

1. I've read somewhere that VW has modified the 1.4 132kW engine to help overcome high oil usage. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, when the new engines started being fitted to cars? If there is a new engine variant, does the engine have a new code that I could check against to make the car I'm thinking of buying has the new engine?

2. Slightly different subject: I know the standard (everything but the GTI) 5-door Polo is built in South Africa. I've read somewhere that the GTI is built in Germany. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

Simon
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

scobb wrote:Having enjoyed my 1.2TSI Highline for 12 months I'm very seriously considering a trade in to a new GTI (MY13) my dealer has in stock on a good deal. This thread and others similar on alternative sites have given me some serious pause for thought. I've got a couple of questions that I hope someone might be able to answer:

1. I've read somewhere that VW has modified the 1.4 132kW engine to help overcome high oil usage. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, when the new engines started being fitted to cars? If there is a new engine variant, does the engine have a new code that I could check against to make the car I'm thinking of buying has the new engine?

2. Slightly different subject: I know the standard (everything but the GTI) 5-door Polo is built in South Africa. I've read somewhere that the GTI is built in Germany. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

Simon
Hi Simon,

Yes - newer cars have the CTHE engine designation (From May 2012), even those have had subtle revisions to combat high oil consumption but it is much improved over the early CAVE engines.

I had a replacement engine last December and I am much happier now, no burning oil from what I can see. I would like to think that VW are on top of this issue now, I am sure others may disagree who are still going through the pain of oil consumption tests and so on.

The 3 door Polo is either built in Spain or Portugal, definitely not Germany.
LocoPolo70
New

Post by LocoPolo70 »

GTI- Pamplona, Spain.
scobb
New

Post by scobb »

Thank you, that's reassuring. Are RHD Polo GTIs built in Pamplona? By inference, the comments following this video imply that RHD Polos destined for the New Zealand market are built in South Africa, but I don't know if this is means all RHD Polos are assembled there, or all except the GTI?. My current 1.2TSI is definitely a South African car.
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

I am certain that the 5 door GTI is built in SA and 3 door in Spain, I am not so sure about the other models though.
LocoPolo70
New

Post by LocoPolo70 »

All GTI's are made in Spain....the only time there might have been left hand drive GTI's made in South Africa was fall of 2010 when Spain were having trouble with demand.

http://www.engineeringnews.co.za/articl ... 12-04-27-1.

and this

http://www.polodriver.com/polo-2009/one ... australia/

That and when I originally ordered mine end of 2011 , I wanted a 5 door but changed my mind a week later after the order and when I asked the salesman if I could change he phoned the plant( I was present ) and was able to change it and it was in SPain.
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

You sure about that? Not that I am bothered but I always understood that the 5 door was SA and the 3 door in Spain.

The 2013 Polo naturally comes in both a 3 door and 5 door body style, with the 3 door being the cheaper of the two by about £600. What most people don't realise however is that the 3 door and 5 dr versions are built in different factories, even on different continents. What does this have to do with anything you may ask? Well it has an impact on delivery times, with the Vw Polo 3 door being built in Spain, so taking 10-12 weeks from order to arriving at the UK dealer, whereas the 5 dr is built in South Africa, so it takes more like 16 weeks from order to arriving here in the UK. The entire range of 2013 Volkswagen Polo 3 door for sale is listed above, just click on the model you are interested in to see our best discount prices.
This is from http://www.orangewheels.co.uk/volkswage ... -door.html
LocoPolo70
New

Post by LocoPolo70 »

Well 99% sure :) my brother also lives SA and a friend of his also got a 5 door Polo Gti and he said it came form Spain......then again I don't know for sure so just going by personal experience and 2nd hand news. Then again not bothered about it either :D