Install Reverse Camera

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
raul_sbd
New

Install Reverse Camera

Post by raul_sbd »

Hello everyone,

Anyone in here has tried to install a rear view camera connected to an aftermarket DVD GPS on VW Polo 6R?

I have bought one on ebay (the ones that goes with the registration light).. i think its relatively easy to connect and drive through the car the RCA video cable (it comes with 6 meters) but my questions are;

How to you pass the cables from the camera itself to the back of the trunk (via de ventilators?)?

Also it needs to connect to the reverse lights to get the power for the camera? anyone knows what colours are the cables that needs to be connected to? anyone could give clear instructions to do that (im a bit concern playing with electrics)

If anyone could give me an advice on that i would really appreciate it..

Masive thank you
raul_sbd
New

Re: Install Reverse Camera

Post by raul_sbd »

No one has installed a reg plate rear view cam?!?
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Post by Lucaio »

raul_sbd wrote:No one has installed a reg plate rear view cam?!?
Give it some time for a reply buddy, this forum is really quite slow for some odd reason.
Staz88
New

Post by Staz88 »

There is a thread here which details the installation of a reverse camera into a polo.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ ... 75911.html

It deals specifically with the installation of a Golf pop-out style camera.. but the information regarding the wiring, in particular the reverse light, can be found there and should be useful for you.
raul_sbd
New

Post by raul_sbd »

Staz88 wrote:There is a thread here which details the installation of a reverse camera into a polo.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ ... 75911.html

It deals specifically with the installation of a Golf pop-out style camera.. but the information regarding the wiring, in particular the reverse light, can be found there and should be useful for you.
Thank you for your answers guys.. although that Golf pop-out style camera seems to be more difficult and involves more cables.

I have the camera with me and has 3 cables one yellow (video cable) and then the power cables Red and Black.

One is the 12v cable and the other the earth cable i believe. One needs to be connected to the reverse light to get the power and the other one will be the earth cable i am correct? Anyone know what colour is the reverse light cable on our Polos (is it the yellow one)?

Thank you again everyone this forum is always very helpful ;)
vwpolo16v
Bronze Member

Post by vwpolo16v »

raul_sbd wrote: I have the camera with me and has 3 cables one yellow (video cable) and then the power cables Red and Black.
To what are you going to connect the yellow video cable ?
Do you have a video screen on the dash ?
raul_sbd
New

Post by raul_sbd »

vwpolo16v wrote:
raul_sbd wrote: I have the camera with me and has 3 cables one yellow (video cable) and then the power cables Red and Black.
To what are you going to connect the yellow video cable ?
Do you have a video screen on the dash ?
Connecting the yellow video cable to my aftermarket dvd gps unit.

But my only question is where to connect the camera power black and red cables.

How to get the power from the reverse light cable (what color is this reverse light cable).?

Many thanks
vwpolo16v
Bronze Member

Post by vwpolo16v »

raul_sbd wrote: How to get the power from the reverse light cable (what color is this reverse light cable).?
The reversing light bulb light should be Black/Blue (i.e. Black with a thin blue stripe).
The earth is the brown wire.
There are two earthing points in the rear luggage area - on the right I believe.
You will need to remove the side cladding/carpeting to reveal the wiring attached to the wheel arch body work.
But if you do not want to do it "properly", you can tap into the brown wire for the earth.

To check the wiring first, remove the rear light - it's very simple - one hand tightened nylon nut. It's very narrow to get your hand in but it's doable - it's documented in the user manual (as it is the only way to change the bulbs). Once the rear light is unbolted, pull the whole rear light out of the body and unclip the wiring connector from the back of the lights.
One of those wires will be Black/Blue. Use a multimeter to check you have 12v on pin of the Black/Blue wire when you engage reverse gear (one probe on that pin and one probe of the earthing point or the brown wire - be careful NOT to short any pins).

Once you have confirmed it. you can use Scotch lock or something similar to tap into the reverse bulb - do not cut it.
For the earthing, you can tap into the brown wire.
raul_sbd
New

Post by raul_sbd »

vwpolo16v wrote:
raul_sbd wrote: How to get the power from the reverse light cable (what color is this reverse light cable).?
The reversing light bulb light should be Black/Blue (i.e. Black with a thin blue stripe).
The earth is the brown wire.
There are two earthing points in the rear luggage area - on the right I believe.
You will need to remove the side cladding/carpeting to reveal the wiring attached to the wheel arch body work.
But if you do not want to do it "properly", you can tap into the brown wire for the earth.

To check the wiring first, remove the rear light - it's very simple - one hand tightened nylon nut. It's very narrow to get your hand in but it's doable - it's documented in the user manual (as it is the only way to change the bulbs). Once the rear light is unbolted, pull the whole rear light out of the body and unclip the wiring connector from the back of the lights.
One of those wires will be Black/Blue. Use a multimeter to check you have 12v on pin of the Black/Blue wire when you engage reverse gear (one probe on that pin and one probe of the earthing point or the brown wire - be careful NOT to short any pins).

Once you have confirmed it. you can use Scotch lock or something similar to tap into the reverse bulb - do not cut it.
For the earthing, you can tap into the brown wire.
Many thanks for your reply and clear explanation. Im going to try over the weekend and let you know how it goes ;)

Thank you
Ryuzakira
New
Drives: 6R

Post by Ryuzakira »

Hi Guys!

needing a bit help, bought a Polo a few months back, it already has the reverse camera installed but its in the bumper, i was wondering if anyone has a logical idea as to where i would connect the cables, all i have are 2 cables in my boot connected to the camera and when i put the car in reverse the black screen comes up with the lines so i know the camera is connected to the reverse light...but i have no clue where to connect the camera to the cable that i beleive should be running from my radio/cdplayer/gps unit. I'd rather not rip apart my car so i figure id ask here first

thanks!

iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

There should be some more wiring to connect the camera. Usually the red plug provides power, the yellow cinch is for video.
Ryuzakira
New
Drives: 6R

Post by Ryuzakira »

Yeah I know there should be, but I have no clue where the cables would run to which is why I'm here. Those are the only cables I can see short of stripping back the side panels of the boot which I would rather avoid if I can
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

it's common to run them along the left hand side of the car since there is already a wiring loom there.
(but the right hand side would make more sense, since you're RHD and the fuse box is on the right side).

you could have a look whether there is a camera connector in the back of your headunit, if there isn't, good chance there isn't any cable installed.

maybe you can have a look whether you can find a similar camera on aliexpress or ebay, and ask whether they'll just sell you the cable and not the complete set.