New New car - Now Shadow Blue GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

New New car - Now Shadow Blue GTI

Post by benhowarth6 »

Hello everybody, I've been on this forum a while with my 1.4 Polo, but today I placed a deposit down on my new car... A Polo GTI! Below are some of the dealer pictures.

Spec:
RCD 510
Winter Pack
Convenience Pack
Optical Parking Sensors

The only other option that I wanted on the car is the MFSW but I've heard this isn't too difficult to retrofit?

This is only my second car so does anybody have any recommendations on what do or not to do? It's also the first automatic car I've ever owned so I'm new to that too!

Cheers
Ben
Last edited by benhowarth6 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfi
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI

Re: New car - Polo GTI

Post by Wolfi »

Not so much a recommendation but just check the oil levels closely to start off with.
A lot of Polo GTIs are traded in purely for this issue. Not trying to pee on your bonfire or anything! :wink:
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

Wolfi wrote:Not so much a recommendation but just check the oil levels closely to start off with.
A lot of Polo GTIs are traded in purely for this issue. Not trying to pee on your bonfire or anything! :wink:
Better to give him solid realistic advise I would say. :)
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

Indeed - I did not want to put a dampener on it, but yes - ensure your car is not guzzling oil, famed oil consumption issues are on another thread. I see your new car is a 60 reg (like mine) which are the oldest GTI's (6R).

Does it have all the history there mate? Quite a few cars (including mine) had replacement piston rings and engines. Hate to be negative but this is a serious issue particularly with the early models, not everyone was affected but hopefully you have got a car that has been sorted.

Enjoy the car anyway - they are fantastic, but just be wary of this oil consumption issue, look out for any tell tale smoke from the exhaust on accelerating and get it back to the dealers if in any doubt!
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

Ben - just re-read your post, I see you have only put a deposit down at the moment. Yes - seriously, this does need checking, I would quiz the dealer on whether any remedial work has taken place for this issue, as they won't volunteer it.

They are bound to say, we are not aware of any issues (but that is standard VW reply), but they do know! What kind of mileage is on it?
Wolfi
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI

Post by Wolfi »

Oops sorry Ben for not giving you solid, realistic advice but just noticed the number plate on the car - great for a dubber!
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Post by benhowarth6 »

skipster wrote:Indeed - I did not want to put a dampener on it, but yes - ensure your car is not guzzling oil, famed oil consumption issues are on another thread. I see your new car is a 60 reg (like mine) which are the oldest GTI's (6R).

Does it have all the history there mate? Quite a few cars (including mine) had replacement piston rings and engines. Hate to be negative but this is a serious issue particularly with the early models, not everyone was affected but hopefully you have got a car that has been sorted.

Enjoy the car anyway - they are fantastic, but just be wary of this oil consumption issue, look out for any tell tale smoke from the exhaust on accelerating and get it back to the dealers if in any doubt!
Cheers! Yes I believe it does have all of the history there so I'll ask them when I'm down there on Friday!

Yes I'm pretty well informed with the oil issues as my older brother also had one and his unfortunately had the issues too! But its something I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Post by benhowarth6 »

Cheers for that guys! As I said I know quite a bit about the oil issues as my brother had the fix and eventually the engine replaced on his last year! Are the oil issues usually fixed then after the repairs/replacement engine or do they still occur?

Cheers
ben4012
Getting There!

Post by ben4012 »

Did you get a good deal on the asking price? Hope mine's worth that much in three years!
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

benhowarth6 wrote:Cheers for that guys! As I said I know quite a bit about the oil issues as my brother had the fix and eventually the engine replaced on his last year! Are the oil issues usually fixed then after the repairs/replacement engine or do they still occur?

Cheers
Hi Ben, thats good then you do know about the history of these cars. I had a replacement engine a year ago, and thankfully all has been fine since. As mentioned, mine is also a 60 reg. Before that they replaced the piston rings which improved the situation but then it got worse again, and then they had a crankcase breather hose which they replaced but it did not do a thing on my engine.

There was also an ECU update with the crankcase breather hose.

Mine (at worse) was using 1 litre of oil per 600 miles, but since the engine has been replaced, I have only used 0.75 litres in 3,500 miles! I expect this to reduce as the mileage increases.

I bet your brothers one was a 60 reg or possibly an 11 plate!
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Post by benhowarth6 »

skipster wrote:
benhowarth6 wrote:Cheers for that guys! As I said I know quite a bit about the oil issues as my brother had the fix and eventually the engine replaced on his last year! Are the oil issues usually fixed then after the repairs/replacement engine or do they still occur?

Cheers
Hi Ben, thats good then you do know about the history of these cars. I had a replacement engine a year ago, and thankfully all has been fine since. As mentioned, mine is also a 60 reg. Before that they replaced the piston rings which improved the situation but then it got worse again, and then they had a crankcase breather hose which they replaced but it did not do a thing on my engine.

There was also an ECU update with the crankcase breather hose.

Mine (at worse) was using 1 litre of oil per 600 miles, but since the engine has been replaced, I have only used 0.75 litres in 3,500 miles! I expect this to reduce as the mileage increases.

I bet your brothers one was a 60 reg or possibly an 11 plate!
Yes my brothers also went through all of that and the oil issues did improve after the replacement engine on his but he than had issues with the gearbox and some other aspects of the car so decided to sell it at a loss. He's never had much luck with them but I'm hoping mine will all be well as I know these are fantastic little cars, so I can't wait to get my hands on it tomorrow!

Ah thats much better then! Hoping if this one is affected it will have already been fixed but I'll query it tomorrow!

Yes his was a 60 plate - one of the earliest ones I believe, mines 60 plate but registered in 2011 so its a bit newer than the one he had.
mattymdm
Bronze Member

Post by mattymdm »

Thought i reckonised this car its for sale at Leeds VW?
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Post by benhowarth6 »

mattymdm wrote:Thought i reckonised this car its for sale at Leeds VW?
Yup, thats the one!
mattymdm
Bronze Member

Post by mattymdm »

You from leeds? Might see you knocking around if your buying this.
benhowarth6
Bronze Member

Post by benhowarth6 »

mattymdm wrote:You from leeds? Might see you knocking around if your buying this.
Yes I am! Collecting the car tomorrow, have you got one?