Is a polo blue gt worth the price tag attached to it?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
TheFrog
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Blue GT

Re: Is a polo blue gt worth the price tag attached to it?

Post by TheFrog »

lancslad1985 wrote:To put into context I got a Golf GTD with all the modcons whilst mine was in the garage. The BlueGT is a better car than the Golf GTD (in my opinion). It was more comfortable, sounds better, feels faster and was more economical!
That doesn't surprise me. I rate the BGT higher than the Mk6 Golf GTI I had about 5 years ago. I have also owned a BMW 330d and a Jaguar XKR in the past and, while I recognise that they are 3 completely cars, I would definitely put the Polo Blue GT up with them in terms of overall ownership/driving pleasure.

Previous to the BGT, I had a VW Up and that was terrible.
tomtoon2015
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 blueGT

Post by tomtoon2015 »

rsmagee wrote:The only regret I have with this car is trusting the claimed economy. I honestly do not belive anything approaching 60mpg is possible. According to road trip I get about 41mpg with mixed Eco and fast driving.
I bet the claimed figures is with 2 cylinder mode permanently :)
pzboyz
New
Drives: '13 BlueGT, '10 Scirocco

Post by pzboyz »

Ricmondo wrote:Mine is DSG equipped, I'm getting around 50 mpg in town and 60/65 mpg on a run.
OK, so if I drive reasonably carefully around town, with no steep hills and reasonably long stretches on A-roads, I get 47 to 50MPG, at normal motorway speeds I am getting 45MPG.

In traffic if I go at a 50MPH or so, Yes I can get MPG into the high 50's.

So what is your driving style to get 60MPG?
rsmagee
Silver Member
Drives: BlueGT (6C)

Post by rsmagee »

pzboyz wrote:
Ricmondo wrote:Mine is DSG equipped, I'm getting around 50 mpg in town and 60/65 mpg on a run.
OK, so if I drive reasonably carefully around town, with no steep hills and reasonably long stretches on A-roads, I get 47 to 50MPG, at normal motorway speeds I am getting 45MPG.

I am in the same boat. I need to know what this wonderful style is. Please don't say its 60mph on the motorway!
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I'm doing 65-70 on the motorway when I'm getting 57mpg (with winter fuel no less). The key is just to leave a reasonable gap to the car in front then you can react better and don't need to brake as hard, as well as letting the car do the work down hill and maybe drop your speed a little uphill. Honestly, it takes me 5 minutes more to get to/from work but I'm far less stressed as 99% of drivers on the motorway are going faster than 70, i.e. speeding, so I can just sit there in the inside or middle lane if overtaking. Then at the weekend I rag it round the countryside and drop my MPG!

Bear in mind it depends on your journey also. My journey to/from work is relatively flat and 99% motorway. If you have a journey that involves a lot of hills or junctions you won't get economy that high.
TheFrog
Silver Member

Post by TheFrog »

In all honesty, I don't think mpg should be your primary concern. If you're interested in saving a few quid on petrol - because that's all it's ever going to be - then it's a bit pointless indulging yourself in what is an expensive small car. I bought the BGT because it's a cracking little car, but the cylinder-on-demand feature and fuel economy didn't really feature in my list of priorities.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

I bought it because I can't afford to run a GTI when doing 24k a year. Having said that I may be getting rid of it if this recurring windscreen issue isn't fixed.
TheFrog
Silver Member

Post by TheFrog »

lancslad1985 wrote:I bought it because I can't afford to run a GTI when doing 24k a year. Having said that I may be getting rid of it if this recurring windscreen issue isn't fixed.
Lol, I could have bought a GTI if I'd wanted, but they're too flashy for me :) I don't care for the silly red stitching on the dash/steering wheel, the plaid cloth (I had this on my Mk6 Golf GTI and regretted my choice), or the wheels, but the real killer is the red line inside the headlights :roll:
wigit
Bronze Member

Post by wigit »

Have to admit i still love our BGT, was expensive but I did spec things on it that i had on my Ed35, mine has gone through 33k and is a real workhorse and stands up well to our Rs, only thing i wish i had on it was DSG based on loving this in the Rs and the amount of time commuting, that said the manual box is an absolute peach

Issue i currently have is the have not properly facelift it on the outside so lacking leds and new body kit, also a shame blue silk is now available across the range

A new Blue GT and GTI are about £400 apart in the specs I want and this time round i am leaning towards the GTI all be it not seen one in the flesh but off to Geneva so will take a gander, i actually like the red GTI bits and interested in seeing if the seats are any different

Blue GT has exceeded my exceptions, mpg has been great but also the performance to cut it in the outside lane of the motorway and cruise at 120+ on the continent where allowed and still a rare car

In city driving having less girth than a Golf is where it earns its money
TheFrog
Silver Member

Post by TheFrog »

wigit wrote:In city driving having less girth than a Golf is where it earns its money
+1 The Golf has got way too phaaat.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

TheFrog wrote:
wigit wrote:In city driving having less girth than a Golf is where it earns its money
+1 The Golf has got way too phaaat.
As someone that's had both, +2
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

pzboyz wrote:

Anticipation, common sense and 58 years of practice. A grandad who is still to outgrow the inner boy racer I'm afraid. I turned my back on competitive Motorsport some 30+ years ago but even then I found that I managed to use around 10% less fuel than my peers. Jackie Stewart used encourage a similar approach to press on motoring, it served him very well too!
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Maintain momentum and think before you brake, drive smoothly and decisively. Look ahead and plan, no point in rushing up behind a numpty and standing on the anchors, match your speed whilst looking for an opportunity to overtake then do it decisively. It's about being smooth and sensible, it is generally the fastest way to drive and helps you keep your no claims bonus (51 years if you are curious). If you think it's a recipe for slow boring driving you have missed the point, I still hold the office record for Cardiff to Anglesey.