Wipers keep coming on by themselves

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
sh_z
New

Wipers keep coming on by themselves

Post by sh_z »

It drives me nuts cos the wipers just keeop coming on by themselves. any time any place anywhere, I am getting really fed up wiv it. :evil:
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

aliens!

or in normal words, a few more details would be nice ie mark or year of your car, if you had it from new, any extra symptoms (like dimming lights?) and whether there's been anything that might have triggered this off or might be causing each instance of it :lol:
sh_z
New

Post by sh_z »

:x Hi, I have a Polo Classic - not hatchback, a saloon. R reg, 1600 CC. Hope this helps.
The wipers are still coming on on their own.
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

sh_z wrote::x Hi, I have a Polo Classic - not hatchback, a saloon. R reg, 1600 CC. Hope this helps.
The wipers are still coming on on their own.
My polo doesn't do it but my Lotus does - never managed to find out whuy but it happens mainly when the weather is very hot......
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

interesting....

main thought would be a dodgy steering column switch or a worn out relay. eg when i replaced my clock for a rev counter, i knocked an already marginal wire just that little bit loose in one of the switch multi-connectors and knocked out the entire wiper function (only realising after everything was back together, bugger!). its possible the reverse could be happening with something bridging just when all the conditions are "right".

or an earth fault at the fusebox or even the motor itself :D it can make your light clusters do wierd things, so why not the wipers?

i dont know of any particular fault with that model - R-reg saloons aren't exactly my thing i'm afraid.
unless you're good at tracing electrical faults or know someone who is, or anyone else pipes up soon, i'd reccommend just getting it down to a trustworthy mechanic or autoelectrician.

(learn from groovycarrot's troubles though - double check that they're worth a hill of beans and aren't, eg, going to not fix the problem but just leave a mess and abandoned tools all over your engine bay)