anyone using this forum?

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

steve_1990clmk2 wrote:When i can be bothered gonna get a better brake system. Where i live there is loads of hills with cars always parked on my side of the road. Sometimes i have to go down them shouting out of the window at people to shift. Definately need vented discs. mmmm. that makes it sound like my brakes are naffed. That only occurs when im following old codgers down a 3 mile long hill with their foot firm on the brake pedal with their nice servos and vented discs :evil: .
Well I live in Halifax and Work in Dewsbury so so I go by Baliff bridge, and I've never had trouble with the standard mk2 brakes flying down the hill at 60mph. I can certainly lock them up without problems, and even with a spare engine in my boot the extra weight doesnt cause me problems. But I guess I'm the only person how has removed a servo/master cylinder from a mk3 and replaced it with a mk2 master cylinder.

The cars being rebuilt now, and that was taken before I put the engine back in.
mk2keel
Bronze Member

Post by mk2keel »

heh probably.

Thanks for the info on that paint, might look out for some soon.

Theres a few mk1 golfs around here, problem is the brakes are so damn expensive.
i was quoted 100quid for the carriers, calipers and servo :(
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

I got a set of mk1 golf gti carriers and calipers from radicoolvw for £40 including postage, so I dont know how much more a servo would be
mk2keel
Bronze Member

Post by mk2keel »

Ok thanks, that sounds good :D

Next question. What brands of suspension are good for lowering me mk2 60mm. i have a budget of about 300tops so any suggestions?
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Don't suppose I can replace the VW1 calipers with VW2? There's a mk2 gti in the scrappy with a pair of VW2's easily accessible, and my scrappie's very reasonable, shouldn't think he'd want more than about £20 for them... but obviously it's not really worth it unless they're usable :)
steve_1990clmk2
New

Post by steve_1990clmk2 »

optima, my brakes work as they should be for a polo mk2. its just that when you have got to keep your foot on the pedal for a bit brake fade kicks in. I travel to huddersfield everyday and its just up and down hills all the way to work. People who insist on travelling down hills in front of me with their brakes on pees me right off.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

optima, i always knew it.... youse reet mental youse am.... ;) and for the love of pete, steve - gear down!!
(yeah - i know to take the brakes to the garage NOW.. but there was nuff people between here and porka telling me how p*ss easy it would be and not to worry like a big cry-baby!)

groovy, that is why i will defend my choice of servo over non-servo, always. when it comes down to you vs the best part of a ton of metal, via four rather small pieces of metal and friction material, a bit of vacuum assistance is very welcome. you lose *some* feel (but not really all that much) and your leg doesn't get tired. it becomes a matter of controlling how much force is given to the brakes, rather than throwing your weight behind your foot. or both of them. trick is to realise that they're still just as fade (and lock-up) capable and treat them with respect.
the heavy brake might be "fun" in every day life, but just like a car thats tail happy because of crapped out tyres, as soon as you actually need that stuff to prevent an accident, the fun evaporates.

(come to think of it, me thinking that it wasnt so bad to have w*nky tyres up front because of the fun potential with lots of spin is fading away as the leaves come down - the drive through notts centre and suburbs finding a new route to come home from college was... "interesting" in a couple places where suddenly one or the other locked on braking, or span freely coming out of a junction, because of leaves and rain reducing their already poo grip to near-nothing. as soon as the paycheque's in next wednesday - tyre shop)
steve_1990clmk2
New

Post by steve_1990clmk2 »

lol . i do gear down. cant stand the noise of the car. Getting a new exhaust tommorow to quiten the bugger down