Polo difficult to start from cold.....

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
The G Man
Getting There!

Polo difficult to start from cold.....

Post by The G Man »

Hi All,

Am new to this forum (It's my first day :D ) - Anyway, have got a G Reg VW Polo Hatchback MK2 - a rare 'dolphin' grey colour. To be honest, it's pretty basic compared to some of the lovely 'souped up' Polo's I've seen on here but I try to look after it and am always looking to improve it. Anyway, have got a problem when starting from cold in the morning :( - In fact, anytime I leave the car and the engine has time to go cold. Not sure if it's something to do with the automatic choke.

Basically, it turns over and starts but then sort of splutters and cuts out. I have to either press the accelerator to the floor and release, then start the car (waiting a few minutes then for the engine to pick up as it gets warmer - if I don't, as soon as I press the accelerator it splutters and cuts out) or press the accelerator down slightly, start the car and keep reving it until it will keep going when I take my foot off the accelerator.

Hope I've described that well enough :?: . In an attempt to fix this I've replaced the distributor cap, rotor arm and plug leads. Have installed plugs that have three side electrodes (as opposed to one) to gain a better spark. Cam belt and distributor have been replaced in the last year and it's had new piston rings. Battery is fine. Oh, and car has been tuned.

Did originally have a problem when I bought it whereby it randomly cut out when warming up but I found out this was down to a faulty air temperator sensor in the air filter - replaced with a second hand one from the scrap heap and it runs great now apart from the dodgy starting.

Any clues? Anybody had or got the same problem with their MK2? I mentioned the automatic choke - is this easy to set if it's this at fault? Also, the red light under the temperature gauge - is this supposed to stay on whilst the automatic choke is operating (mine blinks a few times when I turn the ignition and goes out)

I also have a problem with the speedo - occasionally the pointer sticks and I have to tap the dash. Can this be easily fixed or would I need to replace the whole dash?

Oh, I have too many questions to ask: :oops:

Read on here about installing a four light grill - mine only has two. Have just bought some halogen bulbs to replace the two candles I have up front (at first got the wrong ones as the original ones are the standard round bulbs - 45/40 with a P45T base.) Anyway, is it easy to replace with a four light one? How are the lights re-set or would that have to be done by an expert? :?

Also, where's the best place to buy bits 'n bobs for my polo? I look on e-bay buy they all seem to be parts for MKIII onwards. Would like things like clear front indicators (with orange bulbs instead) - just to customize it a bit more. 8)

Any help that you can give is very much appreciated.
mk2keel
Bronze Member

Post by mk2keel »

Hi mate and welcome.

Have you tried cleaning out the carb, sometimes it gets loadsa gunk and crap in it that messes around with the fuel. Errrmmm only thing i can think of is carb ATM, have you noticed any other things like it running rich on fuel or anything?

Sorry thats all i can think of at the mo.

Next thing...
What sort of bits do you want to buy for your polo beside indicators ect?

You can get bodykits ect for the mk2 from
www.tuning.com/reiger
or i like
www.ra-design.co.uk/shop/productList.asp?catID=112

Thats about it for body bits.
Ebay is good for rear lenses and sometimes wingmirrors.

p.s my sig shows a nice polo but it is only a photoshop its not actually mine :lol: But i have a mk2 coupe S. (see other posts for my plans)

Well if you have any questions ect or you need help on anything you can email me on: poloveedubber@fsmail.net just stick polo or something as the title so i dont delete it by accident.

Good luck