2001 GTI 6N2 Brakes

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
gilesnp
New
Drives: 2001 Polo GTI 6N2

2001 GTI 6N2 Brakes

Post by gilesnp »

Hello!

I'm going to be doing discs and pads (may as well do all of them) on my Polo soon, and I was wondering if any of you had a quick and easy solution to point me in the right way for buying OEM discs and pads? I've searched the forum and can't seem to find a definitive answer, but I apologise if I've missed it.

I've found all the parts on ECP and GSF, but have heard about their... questionable quality of late. Or is this just scaremongering? I don't really want warped discs after a few thousand miles.

I know (from here) that in terms of discs I need 256x25mm up front and 232x9mm on the rears. I've been recommended MTEC for discs and pads but I'm not really about that drilled/grooved vibe - I've heard that pads are more important?

Any recommendations would be awesome.

Thank you!
Bazzad88
Getting There!
Drives: 6n2 polo GTi

Re: 2001 GTI 6N2 Brakes

Post by Bazzad88 »

Hi mate, I recently did mine and I just got pagid discs from euros and they are fine, I got black diamond predator pads from venom motorsport which seem pretty good, they have a nice bite, all in all everything is fine. Hope this helps.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

dipstr
Getting There!
Drives: 6n2 gti

Post by dipstr »

Just phone tps and get the part numbers for them

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Post by 937carrera »

Pagid discs & pads are absolutely fine
gilesnp
New

Post by gilesnp »

Bazzad88 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:50 pm Hi mate, I recently did mine and I just got pagid discs from euros and they are fine, I got black diamond predator pads from venom motorsport which seem pretty good, they have a nice bite, all in all everything is fine. Hope this helps.
That does help, thanks man! I stripped the brakes this weekend to have a look at the discs and pads and was a) pleasantly surprised at how simple it was and b) was surprised to still see about 3mm of pad left. The brakes seemed to have faded badly over the last few months, I thought I was down to the metal by how they felt. The only thing I can think of is that my garage had the ABS unit out and sent it off to get it reconditioned for the MOT in October, is it possible that the lack of feel is due to the brakes needing bleeding?
937carrera wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:03 am Pagid discs & pads are absolutely fine
Ah cheers man, that reassures me that they'll be OK. Did you get them from ECP/GSF or somewhere else?

Thanks everyone!
Bazzad88
Getting There!
Drives: 6n2 polo GTi

Post by Bazzad88 »

Hi mate, i bled mine when I changed my caliper, discs and pads and they did feel much more solid after that

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

gilesnp
New

Post by gilesnp »

Bazzad88 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:30 pm Hi mate, i bled mine when I changed my caliper, discs and pads and they did feel much more solid after that
Ah nice one, cheers! Did you use VAGCOM when you bled yours? I don't own a VAGCOM and don't know anyone that does, so was just gonna go for the old school method of getting my mate to pump the pedal whilst I bled each caliper in turn.