Show me your head unit

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Orel
New
Drives: 9n3

Show me your head unit

Post by Orel »

PugBrothers wrote:
Orel wrote:I'll recommend this one. Looks original and it's really high quality. It have aux BT discs. I bought it 4 months ago and I'm really satisfied. Really easy installation too.

₪ 181.69 8% Off | LEMON SHARK Car Radio RCN210 CD Player USB MP3 AUX Bluetooth 9N 31G 035 185 For VW Golf Jetta MK4 Passat B5 Polo RCN 210
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/C7txbZe0
You know thats the exact one I was originally looking at, it looks great! How good is the bluetooth? I’ve seen a few people online say they struggled getting it to work. Any advice on what I’d need to buy to fit it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT have no problems. It's connecting automatically although I had a little problem to install it because I didn't have an original plug (the previous owner cut the wires and installed unoriginal stereo[emoji2357]) so I needed to connect two wires to the ac canbus. If you will connect the canbus it will look like that and you'll have BT connection

PugBrothers
Getting There!
Drives: Mk7 (9n3) 1.4Tdi Bluemotion 1

Re: Show me your head unit

Post by PugBrothers »

I really like how neat it looks. I think I might go for it!

I've been told to buy this can bus - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3295420 ... 92cebffc9d

Does that look about right to you?
Orel
New

Show me your head unit

Post by Orel »

Yes, this is the right one for you. But to be sure check the wire harness of you car

PugBrothers
Getting There!

Post by PugBrothers »

Hey Orel - out of interest, when installing the head unit did you need to screw it into a cage or put it inside anything to make it fit like yours does? I’d like it to look as flush as possible but I’ve got no idea what I’m doing!

Cheers mate

gerinemo
New
Drives: Polo 9n3

Post by gerinemo »

If you look back through my posts you will see I fitted that same head unit myself
Very happy with it also in 9n3
I also listed the parts required and replaced the speakers at same time
viewtopic.php?t=71905

Only drawback I have found with mine is that ignition needs to be on for to listen nothing plays without ignition /key on
In my 9n3 it was simply a case of removing the old radio and push the new one in no cage or screws required
PugBrothers
Getting There!

Post by PugBrothers »

That’s really handy info, thanks for that mate!

With what you’ve said about no power after switching off ignition - you mention in your thread that you needed to wire your head unit into the live ignition. With the can bus adapter I’ve been recommended (https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/MbqJHmNS) apparently you don’t need to run away wires to the ignition.

That could potentially sort your problem (or I’ve got it totally wrong). Let me know what you think either way!

Orel
New

Post by Orel »

PugBrothers wrote:That’s really handy info, thanks for that mate!

With what you’ve said about no power after switching off ignition - you mention in your thread that you needed to wire your head unit into the live ignition. With the can bus adapter I’ve been recommended (https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/MbqJHmNS) apparently you don’t need to run away wires to the ignition.

That could potentially sort your problem (or I’ve got it totally wrong). Let me know what you think either way!

If you have the original quad connector you'll have no problem with the installation. I think it just plugs n play install. About the cage, you don't need it you just push the stereo you'll hear click and it's ready to go.
Listen, if you'll have a problem with the installation send me a private message and I'll help you through WhatsApp. I was in the same problem as you. Best regards mate.

gerinemo
New
Drives: Polo 9n3

Post by gerinemo »

PugBrothers wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:16 pm That’s really handy info, thanks for that mate!

Yep that was with the canbus adapter that came with the radio
Still needed the live in feed from ciggy lighter
I thought the can adapter was to address a battery drain issue that some had reported
PugBrothers
Getting There!

Post by PugBrothers »

I could be wrong, but that can bus adapter converts the power leads so that it thinks your new radio is the old radio. Which is what the nice man in China told me anyway. So in theory it shouldn’t be needed. Watch this space I guess!

marti996
New
Drives: 9N3

Post by marti996 »

PugBrothers wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:30 pm I could be wrong, but that can bus adapter converts the power leads so that it thinks your new radio is the old radio. Which is what the nice man in China told me anyway. So in theory it shouldn’t be needed. Watch this space I guess!

Did you end up having any joy with this mate?
PugBrothers
Getting There!

Show me your head unit

Post by PugBrothers »

I did mate, it all works brilliantly. Dead chuffed with it. No messing around with any wires at all, other than hooking in the harness and grounding the green handbrake cable. But that was dead easy. Are you thinking of giving it a go?

PugBrothers
Getting There!

Post by PugBrothers »

For the record it’s sat a little more flush than the above photo - there’s actually a bit of a knack to slipping in the head so unit so it all clicks in nicely - you tip the headunit so it’s leaning at an angle towards you and press down on the top to squeeze the top of the fascia in and it sits there really nicely.

marti996
New

Post by marti996 »

oof looks sweet mate, yea I've had an rcn210 lying around for a while, like the above photos. Just looking for an appropriate canbus adaptor now then will be giving it a crack.

What was the reasoning for the grounding of the green wire exactly?

How did you narrow down the canbus adaptor you went for in the end? I've seen a lot of variation in prices from £20-70

I'm a total ignoramus when it comes to car stereos.
PugBrothers
Getting There!

Post by PugBrothers »

The grounding of the wire is a Pioneer thing. Basically, in the US there are certain states that have laws about when car stereos can be used while the car is in motion, so if the handbrake is down it won’t let you perform as many functions as when it’s up and you’re parked. A lot of people work around it by making the head unit think the handbrake is down all the time by grounding the wire you’re supposed to attach to it (not that I would use it while driving but my girlfriend in the passenger seat likes poking around Spotify!). This is nothing for you to worry about if you’ve got the RCN210 though! That head unit looks great.

I imagine the CanBus I posted might work but that’s potentially a bit overkill for what you need - I got the pioneer on the off chance when a bargain came up, but I was dead certain on buying an RCN210 so I’ve looked into it quite a bit!
The CanBus I found for your exact radio was this one: £15.96 6% Off | LEMON SHARK RCN210 Car Radio Multifunction Steering Wheel Button Control Canbus gateway Simulator Adapter https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/5nAHmClS

It’s a fraction of the price of the CanBus I bought (which is made for pioneer head units) and should allegedly be totally plug and play, so no faffing around necessary. There’s another company called Connects2 who could give you advice for what you’re after, but they’re expensive and I honestly think the AliExpress option is the adapter you’re after.

I know nothing about stereos and it’s all been from watching weird German youtube installation videos (I don’t talk German) and trawling through endless forums, so I know how you feel mate.

marti996
New

Post by marti996 »

Ahh thought as much after a little googling.

Yea there are some great videos out there I’ve found this forum the most helpful however, I’ve ordered the adapter now so will see in a few weeks when it gets here. I’ll post if all goes well.

It’s been a headache in all honestly but should be worth it. Cheers for the advice mate really appreciate it.