Ignition change

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Staley43
New
Drives: 6n2 mpi

Ignition change

Post by Staley43 »

A couple years ago I changed my locks to a different key cos I was dumb and. Didn’t know you could just change the barrel instead of the whole thing, anyway I’m running two keys now, one for my doors and boot and the other for my ignition. I’ve got the replacement housing and barrel for the key to my doors but when I tried to swap them over my car won’t stay running, it will run for about 2 seconds then cut out. I don’t know if there is a chip that will only work with my old key or if it’s something else that won’t let it work. Any help is much appreciated as it’s a bit annoying not being able to figure it out. Thanks.
image.jpg
this is the new barrel and housing that I’m trying to put on so I have one key
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Re: Ignition change

Post by 937carrera »

Welcome !

The key has a chip in the head part of it which is read by the coil reader, linked to the immobiliser.

Just swap the head of the key over - take a look here, long story for simple problem viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71988
Staley43
New

Post by Staley43 »

Thanks for the information I read that the other day so I’ll give it a go tomorrow. Much appreciated
Staley43
New

Post by Staley43 »

Thanks very much for the help, worked a treat now I can have the one key for everything, been bugging me for ages never would have thought that it was that easy. Cheers.
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Post by 937carrera »

Glad it worked out. Immo problems are not usually that simple, and thanks for posting back with the ultimate outcome