Front passenger door central locking not working.

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
tim98
New
Drives: 2007 Polo

Front passenger door central locking not working.

Post by tim98 »

The central locking in the front passenger door of my 2006 polo has recently become very temperamental and now very rarely works.
I don't have remote keys, so the central locking should be activated from the driver's door. The central locking of all other doors works and the courtesy light comes on when I open the driver's door so I don't think it is anything to do with the driver's door or controls. As the central locking on the rest of the doors works fine, I don't think it is to do with how the central locking is controlled either.
I am still able to lock or unlock the passenger door using either the key from the outside or by pushing down the button (the thing which goes up or down when the door is locked) or opening the handle on the inside.

I feel that the issue is likely in the door lock module in the front passenger door, maybe a microswitch or the motor has gone ? Or that a wire from the passenger door lock to somewhere may be damaged ?

I don't want to have to take the door panel apart and get past the window and everything to get the door lock module out if it isn't necessary so I was wondering what thoughts people had on what might be the issue and how I can go about fixing this.

Thanks.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Re: Front passenger door central locking not working.

Post by CarbonChaos »

From your description, can I take it you have a 5 door polo? And you can lock and unlock the front passenger door from outside and inside manually? Correct?
Then my best guess is the door latch it’s self has failed of course it could be a wiring problem but it’s a vw and door latches are not a uncommon failure.
tim98
New
Drives: 2007 Polo

Post by tim98 »

Thanks for the reply.
CarbonChaos wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:51 pm From your description, can I take it you have a 5 door polo? And you can lock and unlock the front passenger door from outside and inside manually? Correct?
Yep. The door works perfectly, except when trying to activate the central locking from either the driver's door button or using the key in the driver's door lock, the front passenger door only locks or unlocks occasionally whereas all the other doors work fine.
CarbonChaos wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:51 pm Then my best guess is the door latch it’s self has failed of course it could be a wiring problem but it’s a vw and door latches are not a uncommon failure.
I don't have great knowledge of the door locking of these. Do you mean the door lock module itself or the latch part specifically?

Thanks.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

It’s all one thing, the latch has the central locking motor init.

Use genuine parts if you can, they are not cheap but the after market ones in my experience are worse and noisey.