Self Study Program 571 – The Polo 2018 (AW)

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Self Study Program 571 – The Polo 2018 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »

Hello,

I came across this useful information about our Polo (AW), it give us more details of the AW Polo's design.

Link:
https://procarmanuals.com/self-study-pr ... polo-2018/
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Re: Self Study Program 571 – The Polo 2018 (AW)

Post by brainbow »

Great find. Looks really good. I’ll have a good read this evening after work :D
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Awesome, thank you.

This is quite intersting:
The basic engine is based on the 2.0-l 132-kW TSI engine from the EA888 petrol engine product range. The output of the TSI engine in the Polo has been increased by 15 kW by means of engine software management.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:00 pm Awesome, thank you.

The basic engine is based on the 2.0-l 132-kW TSI engine from the EA888 petrol engine product range. The output of the TSI engine in the Polo has been increased by 15 kW by means of engine software management.
Not really interesting. :) This is EA888v3B It is not true GTI engine in term of taking it staight out of Golf GTI. This engine is like 98% same as EA888v3 from Golf GTI but it was made for lower fuel consumption. That is why it have dual injection system and uses Budack cycle (not always). I believe it was first used in Tiguan around year 2016 or 2017. :)

BTW: it is hell of a good engine :D
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Dark_cze wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:52 pm
OomStu_ZA wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:00 pm Awesome, thank you.

Not really interesting. :) This is EA888v3B It is not true GTI engine in term of taking it staight out of Golf GTI. This engine is like 98% same as EA888v3 from Golf GTI but it was made for lower fuel consumption. That is why it have dual injection system and uses Budack cycle (not always). I believe it was first used in Tiguan around year 2016 or 2017. :)

BTW: it is hell of a good engine :D
Yeah I'm no mechanic (fix PCs for a living :P) but found this interesting becuase it seems Audi (also VAG) use this engine in its natrual tune of 132kw/320nm in the new Q3 40 TFSI. On page 20 of the PDF however it says
"Combustion process based on Miller cycle"... and after some Googling found this explination:
"Whereas the traditional Miller cycle closes the intake valves just before the end of the intake stroke, the Budack cycle closes the intake valves earlier. The shorter intake phase means a longer expansion phase."
http://newsletter.motor.com.s3-website- ... n%20phase.
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:37 am Yeah I'm no mechanic (fix PCs for a living :P) but found this interesting becuase it seems Audi (also VAG) use this engine in its natrual tune of 132kw/320nm in the new Q3 40 TFSI. On page 20 of the PDF however it says
"Combustion process based on Miller cycle"... and after some Googling found this explination:
"Whereas the traditional Miller cycle closes the intake valves just before the end of the intake stroke, the Budack cycle closes the intake valves earlier. The shorter intake phase means a longer expansion phase."
Yes :) Polo uses adjustable cams to switch between Budack and Miller cycle. :) Budack and port injection under low load and Miller and direct injection under heavy load. Engineering Explained have great video showing how it works (5min).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjM14JBPdBI
Nodster
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by Nodster »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:00 pm This is EA888v3B It is not true GTI engine in term of taking it straight out of Golf GTI.
Yeah the "B" is interesting. Especially when shopping for parts as lots of sites just list stuff for "EA888 GEN 3 MQB". And you have to be careful. Case in point, the EA888 GEN 3 inlet hose (airbox to turbo elbow) will not fit a Polo GTI EA888.3 B as we have a MAF housing. I'm yet to see a silicon inlet hose that fits the Polo GTI.
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

Nodster wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:53 pm
OomStu_ZA wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:00 pm This is EA888v3B It is not true GTI engine in term of taking it straight out of Golf GTI.
Yeah the "B" is interesting. Especially when shopping for parts as lots of sites just list stuff for "EA888 GEN 3 MQB". And you have to be careful. Case in point, the EA888 GEN 3 inlet hose (airbox to turbo elbow) will not fit a Polo GTI EA888.3 B as we have a MAF housing. I'm yet to see a silicon inlet hose that fits the Polo GTI.
If I will have time at night shift today I might make list of engine parts used on GTI engine MY2019. :)

//It is not really doable, it is not really readable from ram and taking screens and reading them with OCR is not working properly ...
Cro_vw
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 2018 115bhp Highline

Post by Cro_vw »

Dark_cze wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:58 am
OomStu_ZA wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:37 am Yeah I'm no mechanic (fix PCs for a living :P) but found this interesting becuase it seems Audi (also VAG) use this engine in its natrual tune of 132kw/320nm in the new Q3 40 TFSI. On page 20 of the PDF however it says
Yes :) Polo uses adjustable cams to switch between Budack and Miller cycle. :) Budack and port injection under low load and Miller and direct injection under heavy load. Engineering Explained have great video showing how it works (5min).

soo does my 3 cly 1.0 engine have that "bucadck" cycle? like both port and direct injection or just 2.0 engines?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Cro_vw wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:40 pm
Dark_cze wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:58 am

soo does my 3 cly 1.0 engine have that "bucadck" cycle? like both port and direct injection or just 2.0 engines?
Just the 2.0. Presumably because the 1.0 is hardly ever running at just 15% of its capacity for the Budack cycle to be working.
Cro_vw
New

Post by Cro_vw »

so that means about 40-50k km's I should clean my valves? I can't find anywhere on web if vw did something about carbon deposit in this new 1.0 engines.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Cro_vw wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:37 pm so that means about 40-50k km's I should clean my valves? I can't find anywhere on web if vw did something about carbon deposit in this new 1.0 engines.
Doubtful they did anything. VW removed port injection from the Golf GTI engine without a second thought. People are seeing carbon deposits in those engines (EA888 3) from as early as 10k miles.
Cro_vw
New

Post by Cro_vw »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:14 pm
Cro_vw wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:37 pm so that means about 40-50k km's I should clean my valves? I can't find anywhere on web if vw did something about carbon deposit in this new 1.0 engines.
Doubtful they did anything. VW removed port injection from the Golf GTI engine without a second thought. People are seeing carbon deposits in those engines (EA888 3) from as early as 10k miles.
thats a shame, I don't understand why they don't fix that. I mean I know that car industry lives from selling spare parts, but this is a well known issue that should have been sorted out years ago.
Now I know that I will have to pay someone to clean it, and wonder how are they going to clean it.... f**k that s**t
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

as far as I know there is no real fix since there is nothing they can do.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Cro_vw wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:37 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:14 pm
thats a shame, I don't understand why they don't fix that. I mean I know that car industry lives from selling spare parts, but this is a well known issue that should have been sorted out years ago.
Now I know that I will have to pay someone to clean it, and wonder how are they going to clean it.... f**k that s**t
They could easily sort it - up until 2 years ago the Golf GTI variant of the EA888 engine had port injection, then they removed it - probably cost saving. I'm sure they could add port injection to every DI engine they have so the backs of the valves and the valve seats get washed with fuel vapour.

Unfortunately these car companies don't care about longevity of the car beyond warranty. They want you to buy a car every 3 years and not keep it 10 years.