Servicing

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Nosowskaa
New
Drives: 9n3

Servicing

Post by Nosowskaa »

Hello all! It’s my first post here, I was wondering if anyone knows roughly how much £ would you charge for all of the filters changed (petrol, air, cabin, oil, transmission filters), drive belt, timing belt, water pump and transmission+engine oil change. Just labour, I’ve got all of the parts. Thanks a lot for the help!
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Re: Servicing

Post by Bepis »

Not a mechanic so wouldn't know what to charge but from my own experience, I was quoted 4 hours labor for the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and pulleys. You'd have to take the drive belt off to get to it anyway so can't imagine they would charge more for it. You will need some G12 coolant as you'll lose some when changing the water pump.

On the 1.4 BUD engine, the air filter takes all of 5 minutes, same with the cabin filter but I ran an aircon cleaner through so took an extra 10 mins but it got rid of the horrible smell that was coming from it. If you choose to run a cleaner through it like auto glym aircon sanitizer take the old filter out, put the cover back, run the cleaner through then put the new filter in seemed to work the best for me.

You didn't mention spark plugs but they're worth doing if you're doing everything else and they again took me about 10-20 mins at most. On the 1.4 BUD they're torqued to 35nm.

Haven't done an oil change on my 9n3 yet as its fairly new to me but can't imagine it would take a mechanic any longer than 2 hours at most.

You mentioned transmission filters so I assume you have an auto? Not sure what that would entail but on a manual its a simple case of drain and fill but make sure the car is level when filling.

It also may be worth taking a look at your power steering fluid. The reservoir cap is green and located bellow the passenger front headlight in the engine bay. No way to drain it that I'm aware of so just suck the old stuff out, pour new in then turn lock to lock 10-20 times and repeat until the fluid is clean. Took me about an hour or 2.

Hope that helps :)
Nosowskaa
New
Drives: 9n3

Post by Nosowskaa »

Thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail! I normally change the filters and engine oil myself however because I’ve bought the car recently I just want to get it all changed to get it done and not worry about it, therefore if I’m taking the car to the mechanic anyway for the belts and transmission filter/fluid change (it is an auto :wink: ) I was wondering what would be an appropriate quote for all of it. I’ve managed to buy all of the parts for just under £200 so now all that’s left is to pay for labour
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

@Bepis, that is good advice about removing the pollen filter before setting off an AC bomb, I don't quite know why they don't mention it on the cans as capturing most of the spray in the pollen filter will limit the effectiveness of using it - I seem to have a couple of ECP's ones waiting to get used, maybe a bit late for us up North now for this year though.

@Nosowskaa, I did not answer because I don't know, but the supplying of parts and fitting a belt in these engines, using a proper VAG Indie is around £375 up North, London prices will not doubt be a bit more, but if you remove the cost of your parts then it should be close-ish!