GTI+ MPG after 2 years - 5000 mile / 25mpg

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
TGGTI
New
Drives: GTI 2019

GTI+ MPG after 2 years - 5000 mile / 25mpg

Post by TGGTI »

Hi guys, just joined the forum and thanks for the info I’ve picked up so far.

Since June 2019 my GTI is recording ave 25mpg over 2 years / 5000 miles

I accept I do short trips (mainly 1.5 years WFH). Longer journeys I can stretch out the ave to 35-40 mpg

Back in the day I had a Boxster S 3.2 that would ave 25mpg and thought that was shockingly bad….

Is this normal? What are your thoughts?
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Re: GTI+ MPG after 2 years - 5000 mile / 25mpg

Post by lancslad1985 »

Sounds not too far off for short journeys. I had my gti+ for a year and did 12,000 miles of mostly motorway journeys and got 40.7mpg average over that time. The car easily did 50mpg on the motorway for me, but the minute I came off and hit lots of traffic lights then the mpg plummeted.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Short journeys aren’t good if you want good fuel consumption. Depending on how short your typical short journey is, the engine might not have an opportunity to fully wam up so won’t be operating at optimum efficiency. Also, with predominantly short journeys there’s a good chance you’ll also experience more OPF regenerations, and that can have a marked negative effect on fuel economy.

My short journeys are usually around 7 miles and I typically get around 33 mpg on those journeys. Journeys of around 2-3 miles or less and I’ll walk these days (better for me and the environment 🙂).

I’ve seen around 50 mpg on longer journeys (25+ miles, ‘A’ road driving). With the volume of traffic on those longer journeys there’s little opportunity to drive a GTI the way it’s intended to be driven so you just end up going with the flow of the traffic, and that contributes to the 50-ish mpg. My long term average is around 41-42 mpg.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

TGGTI wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:29 am Hi guys, just joined the forum and thanks for the info I’ve picked up so far.

Since June 2019 my GTI is recording ave 25mpg over 2 years / 5000 miles

I accept I do short trips (mainly 1.5 years WFH). Longer journeys I can stretch out the ave to 35-40 mpg

Back in the day I had a Boxster S 3.2 that would ave 25mpg and thought that was shockingly bad….

Is this normal? What are your thoughts?
For short journeys I regularly get 29ish mpg, with minimal stopping on a 4mile round journey. Short journeys are horrific for ICE's. I suggest if you only do short journeys, get an electric or hybrid car. For longer journeys however, I have done a 8hour, 400mile journey recently to the Goodwood FOS and I averaged 55mpg in a GTI, which I was very surprised with.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I used to get:

Gentle driving around the doors from cold <5 miles = 35mpg

Heavy footed around the doors from cold <5 miles = 25mpg.

Driving 10 miles, generally 33mpg
Driving 15 miles, generally 38mpg

Driving 100 miles cruising 80mph on motorway = 46mpg
Driving 100 miles cruising 70mph on motorway = 53mpg

Totally variable, depending on how you drive it.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

My GTI was short journeys, 4 miles each way most days and then town running around at night/weekends.
If I floored it, which I frequently did, I could get it down to 19mpg on the display (this was flat out up a hill between junctions on a dual carriageway - nailing it)
But then gentler driving in a flow of traffic into town would get mid 30mpg.
On the rare occasions I got it into a cruise, it would show high 30s mpg.
I don't recall getting over 40mpg much....or at all really.
TGGTI
New
Drives: GTI 2019

Post by TGGTI »

Thanks guys... Since joining the forum I've discovered a lot of info re the particle filter.

I'm 100% convinced this has been the issue with my regular very short journeys - Normal mode, auto and hardly ever getting above 2,000 revs in traffic.

As an 'experiment' I did a very short journey today - Sport mode, full manual only dropping a gear around 5,000 revs and got much better MPG - 20mpg vs 13mpg in the last week

My plan is to take it out for a hard drive tomorrow on faster B roads, motorways and blipping the throttle as suggested here.

Time to drive it properly again :D
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Wonderful for the environment these things, aren't they, that they need people to have a needless blast to clear them..... :shock:
Thank goodness future cars won't have any need for this utter nonsense.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:07 am Wonderful for the environment these things, aren't they, that they need people to have a needless blast to clear them..... :shock:
Thank goodness future cars won't have any need for this utter nonsense.
Yes, my EVs leave all the CO2 at the power station. :lol: NIMBY. We're considering particulates so much now that particulates from tyre wear are under scrutiny now, as well as brake dust. I think we'll all be back to brake drums soon enough, as all the pad dust is captured. Supposedly one of the reasons why the rear brakes on the ID3 are drum brakes.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:19 am Yes, my EVs leave all the CO2 at the power station. :lol: NIMBY. We're considering particulates so much now that particulates from tyre wear are under scrutiny now, as well as brake dust. I think we'll all be back to brake drums soon enough, as all the pad dust is captured. Supposedly one of the reasons why the rear brakes on the ID3 are drum brakes.
Not against that idea at all.
Discs on the front have a definite advantage, but discs on the rear of most cars are just fashion.
Folk want to see discs through alloys, they feel robbed by drums.
Then they definitely feel robbed when the rear calipers seize through lack of use and the discs need replaced at stupid low mileage.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:48 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:19 am Yes, my EVs leave all the CO2 at the power station. :lol: NIMBY. We're considering particulates so much now that particulates from tyre wear are under scrutiny now, as well as brake dust. I think we'll all be back to brake drums soon enough, as all the pad dust is captured. Supposedly one of the reasons why the rear brakes on the ID3 are drum brakes.
Not against that idea at all.
Discs on the front have a definite advantage, but discs on the rear of most cars are just fashion.
Folk want to see discs through alloys, they feel robbed by drums.
Then they definitely feel robbed when the rear calipers seize through lack of use and the discs need replaced at stupid low mileage.
Unless you're driving like a total twunt, or get caught distracted and have to jump on the brakes occasionally, the ID3's brakes don't have a lot of work to do, with the regen probably accounting for 90% of my braking. Makes cleaning the wheels a lot easier - hardly any brake dust.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:03 pm Unless you're driving like a total twunt, or get caught distracted and have to jump on the brakes occasionally, the ID3's brakes don't have a lot of work to do, with the regen probably accounting for 90% of my braking. Makes cleaning the wheels a lot easier - hardly any brake dust.
I flick between D, which is next to no regen braking, and B, which is heftier regen braking.
B is handy if I'm thrashing on as the Leaf brakes are a bit dead feeling and the added regen saves me pressing the pedal so hard.
The E-pedal (single pedal driving) I just don't like at all and will be ignored, it's horrible when instinct makes you lift off the throttle pedal and the brakes slam on! :shock:
Some people love it though.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:55 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:03 pm Unless you're driving like a total twunt, or get caught distracted and have to jump on the brakes occasionally, the ID3's brakes don't have a lot of work to do, with the regen probably accounting for 90% of my braking. Makes cleaning the wheels a lot easier - hardly any brake dust.
I flick between D, which is next to no regen braking, and B, which is heftier regen braking.
B is handy if I'm thrashing on as the Leaf brakes are a bit dead feeling and the added regen saves me pressing the pedal so hard.
The E-pedal (single pedal driving) I just don't like at all and will be ignored, it's horrible when instinct makes you lift off the throttle pedal and the brakes slam on! :shock:
Some people love it though.
I stick with D. It'll start regen braking when approaching a roundabout or a junction (the nav maps prompt it), but you can override that with a touch of throttle. Otherwise it decelerates as gently as a petrol when you come off the accelerator. Bleeps like a halfway E-pedal on the ID3 (max regen to slow when off accelerator).