Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Post by SRGTD »

:roll:
steeve wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:33 am We did seriously consider a Kings Red car, the only new car in the whole dealership was a convertible Golf in Kings Red.
We decided not to go with that colour, after which the sales manager said you've made a good decision not to go with the red. He claims it's impossible to get a good repair, not possible to do a part panel and a whole panel will never look the same.
Interesting to hear that from a car dealer.

These days when I buy a car, as far as colour is concerned I consider the following;
  • is there a high risk of paint colour mismatch if you’re unfortunate enough to need paintwork repairs?
  • are stone chips easily repaired from the point of view of not being able to see the repair?
  • is the paint colour able to ‘hide’ paintwork swirls? Dark colours are particularly bad at showing swirl marks, which will happen sooner rather than later if a poor wash technique (old style single bucket, sponge and wash leather) is used or if car washing duties are entrusted to the many hand wash places. Dealership complementary service washes are a ‘no-no’ too IMHO, unless you want your car’s paintwork to be given a free ‘scratch n swirl’ treatment with a bucket of dirty water and gritty sponge that’s already been used on other customers’ cars. No one other than me washes my car, and it’s always washed using a safe wash method, which minimises the risk of swirling.
I used to have a motor claims inspector contact in a large insurance company and they told me that the most difficult paint colours to get an accurate colour match on when repairing / repainting to match the original factory paint were red, silver or other light coloured metallic paint colours. I’ve seen many silver coloured cars with ‘patchwork’ paintwork where there are very obvious signs of repairs, with distinct (and IMHO unacceptable) shade differences between new and original paint. Red paintwork repairs - in particular, solid red - can take on an orange hue under certain lighting conditions; I experienced this some years ago after someone damaged a red car I owned that needed new paintwork.

With modern spectrophotometer paint matching technology used by good quality body shops, paint colour matching shouldn’t be such a big issue these days - assuming the new paintwork is correctly blended into the original factory paint on adjacent panels. However, I still wouldn’t ever buy certain coloured cars.

My current Polo GTI+ is Pure White, which meets my three paintwork considerations / criteria listed above 🙂 (1st = low risk, 2nd = yes and 3rd = yes).
Mch101
New
Drives: Polo R Line

Post by Mch101 »

Yup, just placed my order today. Deposit paid and due to land may 2022.

Currently have a polo r line 110bhp but downgraded from my Golf GTD due to personal reasons.

Can't wait to get back into a decent powered car again.
Mch101
New
Drives: Polo R Line

Post by Mch101 »

Yup, just placed my order today. Deposit paid and due to land may 2022.

Currently have a polo r line 110bhp but downgraded from my Golf GTD due to personal reasons.

sirwolfie
New
Drives: A45

Post by sirwolfie »

Mch101 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:02 pm Yup, just placed my order today. Deposit paid and due to land may 2022.

Great news👍 What colour, spec did you go for?

My daughter has the 110bhp r-line, gutsy little thing. I love beating all the boy racers in their chaved up chariots off the line at the lights😀
Jakeyw
New
Drives: GTI

Post by Jakeyw »

Mch101 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:02 pm Yup, just placed my order today. Deposit paid and due to land may 2022.

Nice one! Interesting you got told May and I got told 9 months in Nov. Hopefully they surprise me with an earlier date!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

I dare say lead times / delivery dates are very much a moving picture and will be affected by factors such as semiconductor supplies and Covid, although nine months sounds realistic in light of these factors. In ‘normal’ times at the end of 2019 / beginning of 2020, lead times for a new Polo GTI was 5-6 months.

VW and their suppliers will no doubt be affected by both semiconductor supply shortages and Covid, which will likely mean VW are running their production facility at less than normal production levels.

It’s worth noting that some forum members over on golfgtiforum.co.uk have seen the build dates for their Golf GTI’s move out 2 or 3 times, and some who ordered their cars in Q1 2021 are still waiting for their cars to be built.
Jakeyw
New

Post by Jakeyw »

Ah ok, thanks.
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

We didn't consider the extra for the sat nav as for us Car Play with Google Maps or Waze is the perfect and best navigation you can get, used them abroad and it's just a complete system.
Emma20360
New
Drives: gti

Post by Emma20360 »

Finally picked up today! Totally in love! Really want some black vw badges, but I’m not sure if they will be the same size at the pre facelift and I can’t find any for this model! Does anyone know the measurements of the pre facelift?
Attachments
0E313BE3-0387-4DC4-98AD-D45E6E0C83EC.jpeg
0E313BE3-0387-4DC4-98AD-D45E6E0C83EC.jpeg (2.82 MiB) Viewed 2618 times
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Emma20360 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:46 pm Finally picked up today! Totally in love! Really want some black vw badges, but I’m not sure if they will be the same size at the pre facelift and I can’t find any for this model! Does anyone know the measurements of the pre facelift?
Looks good 😎, but black cars are a labour of love to keep them looking good. Hope you’re ready to put in plenty of effort and you’ll use a safe two bucket wash technique when you wash it to minimise the risk of inflicting swirls to the paintwork. I recommend you don’t go to one of the many hand car wash places either or use an automatic car wash if you want your paintwork to keep that new car look. Oh, and never let the VW dealer do the complementary car wash when your car goes back to the dealership for servicing / warranty / repair work, unless you want them to give it a scratch and swirl treatment with a gritty sponge and bucket of dirty water 😧.

As for the grill badge; most of the pre facelift Polo front grille emblem badges will be the old style VW logo - the current, new style badges were only fitted to late date pre facelift cars. I don’t think VW make an all-black OEM VW grille emblem and maybe manufacturers of aftermarket all-black replacements haven’t got around to producing the new style ones yet for the Polo. IMHO it would look a little odd with an old style font VW grille emblem fitted to a facelift car, as the font used for the ‘VW’ wouldn’t match the rest of the VW badges on the car. Also bear in mind that the radar sensor is located behind the grille badge, so you’d need to be careful removing the existing / fitting a new badge (I’m assuming changing the badge wouldn’t cause any issues with functions that use the radar?). I personally think black badges on a black car would be too much black and I’d keep the original badge but that’s just my opinion and we all like different things.

That large van looks like it was parked very close to your new car 😮. Hopefully not close enough to cause any damage when opening doors or manoeuvring in / out of the parking space 🤞.
Jakeyw
New

Post by Jakeyw »

Emma20360 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:46 pm Finally picked up today! Totally in love! Really want some black vw badges, but I’m not sure if they will be the same size at the pre facelift and I can’t find any for this model! Does anyone know the measurements of the pre facelift?
Looks great. When did you order?
worsy
New
Drives: The wife's 2022 Polo GTI.

Post by worsy »

Jakeyw wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:54 pm

Nice one! Interesting you got told May and I got told 9 months in Nov. Hopefully they surprise me with an earlier date!
Ordered Dec and I've just asked for my BW which is last week of June.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

worsy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:34 am

Allowing 6-8 weeks transit from the Uitenhage factory in South Africa to the dealer in the UK, then you’re probably looking at end of Aug delivery - or early September if you want to hang on for a 72 plate. That give a lead time of around nine months, which is consistent with the lead time @Jakeyw has been given.
worsy
New
Drives: The wife's 2022 Polo GTI.

Post by worsy »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:35 am
worsy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:34 am

Allowing 6-8 weeks transit from the Uitenhage factory in South Africa to the dealer in the UK, then you’re probably looking at end of Aug delivery - or early September if you want to hang on for a 72 plate. That give a lead time of around nine months, which is consistent with the lead time @Jakeyw has been given.
Yup. 72 plate seems like a no brainer. Will look to sell my 19 GTI in early August.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:35 am Uitenhage factory in South Africa
In South Africa our Government is continuously changing city / town names to be more in line with the current political mindset.
Uithenhage is now called Kariega (21/06/21). More on the meaning of the name can be found here:
https://za.opera.news/za/en/culture/b1a ... 7202fb879d

That said most people in SA still refer to the town as Uitenhage and the old name of Port Elizabeth (from where the assembled vehicles are shipped) has changed to Gqeberha. I am still trying to perfect the pronunciation of word myself but if you would like to give it a bash watch this quick video:

https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa ... Elizabeth.

Just some useless info to share :P