POLO 1.4 2012 6R START ISSUE IN WARM WEATHER

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Newbie6R
New
Drives: 6R

POLO 1.4 2012 6R START ISSUE IN WARM WEATHER

Post by Newbie6R »

My 6R 1.4 has decided it doesn't want to start in warm weather. If it's parked in the garage in summer which tends to be humid, the engine turns over but does not start.

Usually if I floor the gas, it will eventually start and after this it starts pretty easy.

I've read multiple threads on different forums and websites and nobody seems to ever have the solution for this error.

Does anybody have any information on this??? :(
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: POLO 1.4 2012 6R START ISSUE IN WARM WEATHER

Post by RUM4MO »

You probably have either of 2 typical problems, first the engine coolant temperature sensor is faulty and so allowing too rich a mixture at engine cold start, ie injector firing periods are too long when the engine is cold, or, second, the EVAP solenoid is faulty.

Typically for this engine in VW Group cars, it seems to be the second option ie EVAP solenoid - maybe take a look over at the SEATCUPRA.NET forum in the same age Ibiza section.

It should be contained within this thread I think:- https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/thread ... st-4875103

Good Luck!
Newbie6R
New

Post by Newbie6R »

I have reviewed the links you've sent with the SEAT forum and will start with the Evap solenoid valve as it is less invasive lol. I will keep you updated on the progress
Newbie6R
New

Post by Newbie6R »

**UPDATE**

I removed the Evap solenoid valve yesterday, gave it a few taps on a table and some black soot came out. Decided to refit while I wait for the part to arrive and started today in extremely hot weather and it started first time.

Will keep monitoring and testing daily on hot weather to see if this was just a coincidence or if the problem has been solved.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Good, some progress!

There will be a carbon loaded canister that the petrol fumes are "held" in prior to getting vented via the EVAP valve opening at certain times, so maybe some of that carbon is being carried forward into the EVAP valve. It has been said many times in the past on some VW Group forums, that if you routinely or frequently "force filled" the fuel tank while refuelling, the first item to suffer will be the carbon canister - so maybe that is what has caused this carbon to move out of the canister, I can't say, okay I have "force filled" the tank on my cars now and again, but only when then moving off and driving that car until I have had to stop to refuel - but I still know that I am not doing the right thing.

Maybe that is what caused other VW Group 1.4 engined cars to have this issue, or maybe not.
Newbie6R
New

Post by Newbie6R »

UPDATE

So after a month of replacing the Evap solenoid with a Bosch brand replacement, I have no more start issues.

Testing the part was easy by just blowing in the side of the valve and noticing that it leaked air. The new part did not allow any air to pass through.

Solved!!!
Big thanks for your help. I hope this information helps many others who also have been looking for a solution.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Good result!

Happy to help you.