misfire when idle

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
poloboy39
New

misfire when idle

Post by poloboy39 »

My wifes car has had an issue where the car runs like a dream but when idle the engine light (orange) starts to flash and then the engine will misfire. Restart the engine and it runs great until ideal again. the garage told us cyclinder 3 was missing chnaged the coil pack still had the problem. We then had a problem with the coil pack on cylinder 2 so changed that again car runs great no miss driving but then the idle the light flashes and then misfires. I have only have one old coil pack on the car can anyone give me any ideas on why its doing this

many thanks
poloboy39
New

Re: misfire when idle

Post by poloboy39 »

sorry forget to mention its an 05 1.2
polo9n
Getting There!

Post by polo9n »

my 1.2 did that when i bought it which was why i got it so cheap, mechanic i knew thought it could be timeing belt/chain turned out to need an engine re-build cause it had been thrashed..
g__humm
Platinum Member

Post by g__humm »

Do simple things first like check ur ignition leads spark plugs etc make sure there not worn out. When was it last serviced
poloboy39
New

Post by poloboy39 »

Thanks for the responses so far. The plugs have been changed and all coil packs are ok. The garage said it could be a sticky value or a head issue. My argument to that is that when its cold there is no misfire or idle problem get to normal temp the engine emission light flashes and then it starts to struggle to idle. The car runs like a dream otherwise surley if it was a head problem it would misfire all the time. Does anyone know if there any sensors that could possibly cause this kind of problem.

many thanks
Rbne
New
Drives: Polo

Post by Rbne »

Hi.

Did you fint out what was the problem for this fault? I have same issue :(
Br
R.bne.
Brian422
New
Drives: 2013 Polo 1.2 Match Edition

Post by Brian422 »

You appear to have done everything except a compression check. Suggest that might be your next move.