Re: Patil's little Polo 6R 1.2 Tsi Dsg7 RHD

Post by patil »

patil
Silver Member
Drives: Polo6r/1.2TSI/DSG7, T-roc'20 1.5TSI/DSG7

Post by patil »

Rear brake upgrade from drums to discs!😎
For Polo 6R hatchback( not Polo sedan/Vento)

A long post!!!

Background:
The motivation for this upgrade came to me after I installed oem bixenons+ AFS. The Indian Polo's were never offered rear disc brakes from the beginning till the end. Also Bixenons or led headlights were also never offered. Subsequently, the rear axle of Indian polo's neither had ears for rear disc callipers nor the AFS mount(stabiliser, PR8Q3) for AFS sensor. But fortunately the Polo's sold here from MY 2010 to MY 2013 had the rear axle with ears for mounting disc callipers as well as AFS mount even though drums were installed on such axle. ( part no: 6R0 500 051B)

From MY 2014, the rear axle for Polo was replaced with part no:6RG 500 051( PR1KH+ 8Q0) a regular axle without ears and stabliser.

My polo being MY 2016, the rear axle didn't had AFS mount, so after installing OEM bixenons, I had to weld a metal on rear axle to hook the AFS sensor pole. Due to the poor placement of weld, the load on rear axle was not properly communicated to AFS sensor hence AFS was not working perfectly. To fix this inconvenience, I bought the used rear axle and refurbished it( new one is ridiculously expensive) from previous generation Polo. At the same time I took the opportunity to upgrade the rear drums to discs(PR1KT) as the option is now available.😍

Parts:

1) Rear axle parts:

- Rear axle 6R0 500 051B (PR-0N2/K8G)
- Axle hub with wheel bearing - 6Q0598611 (2 no)
Bought aftermarket from OE manufacturer FAG-713-6104-90
- Stub axle 6Q0 501 117 (2 no) used old ones from axle as they were in good condition.
Axle rubber bushes- 6R0501541A (2no) Replaced the old ones with new. Need special VAG tool to press these bushes into axle or need hydraulic press.
- Rear spring washer(underlay) 1J0 512 109(2no)
- Axle mounting bolts- N10409902(2no)
-Self locking collar nuts- N10106402(2no)

2) Rear disc brake parts:

- Brake calliper left- 6R0615423
- Brake calliper right- 6R0615424
- Calliper carrier left- 6R0615425
- Calliper carrier right- 6R0615426B
- Callipers repair kit-- 1 set( aftermarket)
- Rotors(230x9mm) 2Q0615601H (2no)
- Pads- 5K0698451E (1set)
- Brake cables 6R0609721C(1644mm, 2no)
- Brake hose rear left 6R0611763B
- Brake hose rear right 6R0611764B
- Dust cover left 6R0 615 611
- Dust cover right- 6R0 615 612
( dust cover part numbers ending with alphabets A/B/C/D are for 254mm disc, will be too big for 230mm)

- Parking brake for disc- 6Q0711303AG
- Parking brake return spring left-- 7H0615295A
-Parking brake return spring right-- 7H0615296
- Brackets for fixing handbrake cable-- 1H0609747(2 no)
- Brackets for holding brake cables-- 6Q0609639B(left), 6Q0609640B(right)
- Bracket for brake cable-- 6R0609651(2no)

- Bolts
a) N10648301( M6x16) -- 2no
b) N90740302( M10x1,25x30) -- 4no
c) WHT003250(M8x22)-- 4no

Sourcing and assembling the parts:

Rear axle and its components: I bought the used rear axle undamaged in excellent condition from scrap market here for a cheap price, and got it refurbished from a mechanic friend. The new axle as I mentioned above is very expensive around 1000€ just for bare axle!!
I decided to by new hubs with bearings and used stub axles from axle I bought, as they were in good condition. The OEM hubs are very expensive, so decided to buy aftermarket from OE manufacturer FAG. 2 sets including shipping from eBay Germany costed me less than 1 set OEM. VW asks too much just for 2 alphabet engraving.

Brake parts: With the help of iichel, I could able to source callipers with carriers, callipers repair kit, brake cables, hoses, springs and handbrake. Remaining parts I ordered from eBay and from my dealer.

My country Post has been savage lately, damaging the parts and have lost few.😐 I noticed a missing glide pin from one of the calliper carrier!
Unfortunately the caliper glide pins are not seperate part, they are part of calliper carrier and don't have seperate part number! But luckily the OE manufacturer TRW sells glide pin repair kit as aftermarket. I bought such a kit from eBay.

Now if we notice the glide pins carefully in above picture🧐, 1 pair is different from the other by design!
Now the question arose, which pin goes where into the carrier? According to the manufacturer, if the callipers are installed rear facing.. the glide pin with 3 horizontal circles goes on top and vertically sliced pin goes at the bottom& vice-versa if the callipers are installed front facing. For 6R, the callipers are installed rear facing so I followed the former. See below(credits to author from drive2).

Pictures of parts and installation:

The heavyduty axle with drums from 1st gen Polo sold here. bought:Image

The old OE hub, replaced with new.

Stub axles from old axle, retained

New rubber bushes:

New rear spring washers(underlay):

Axle mounting bolts+nuts:

Brake callipers and carriers: Refurbished using repair kit and repainted to red.

Rotors and pads:

Dust covers:
Brake fluid:

Handbrake (drum vs disc) not my picture, I forgot to click mine. Credit to respective owner from Drive2.

Brake cables, hydraulic lines, and remaining parts all assembled together:

The stock rear axle removed, comparing with new refurbished axle. I forgot to take the pictures of axle swap. Followed the workshop manual instructions.
Installed the rear disc setup according to the below scheme from workshop manual:

Used my stock ABS sensors
Finally!!!

Brake bleeding, wheel alignment and balancing and ABS firmware upgrade:

After complete installation, I took the car for a long test drive and honestly speaking I was bit disappointed with the outcome, for a moment I felt my previous drums were much better!! There was too much Sponginess and braking was pathetic. Something was not right.. thanks to iichel, he recommended to rebleed the brakes again to remove remaining air in the lines. After rebleeding with proper tools second time the sponginess reduced significantly! One more significant change I noticed was that ABS was kicking in way too early! it was so embarrassing 😂

Finally I pulled up the ace under my sleeve to fix the brakes. I knew that the abs coding has to be changed from rear drums to disc, I didn't do it purposely for testing purposes and my stock abs firmware doesn't accept rear disc coding anyway. After driving few hundred kms I decided to flash my abs firmware to updated one and code the rear discs.

Flashed new and updated abs firmware using ODIS-E:

Successfully flashed.

The new firmware accepted the coding for rear disc, so I coded rear drums to disc(230mm)
Byte 2 from 24 to 28 and byte 10 from 24 to 14. The new firmware accepts coding for front disc upto 288mm and rear disc upto 230mm( tested). My old BN firmware refused to accept any coding except 256mm disc front and 200mm rear drums.

My final abs coding( 254mm disc front+ 230mm disc rear):

After firmware update and coding change, I drove close to 1000km and I will say correct coding does make a lot of difference!! abs doesn't kick in early now!! and also bite has improved. The front nose dive has also significantly reduced during high speed braking.👌 And also will add a note that, I do recommend changing the handbrake lever from drums to disc type.. as I felt the disc one grips the rotors more firmly with less pull than the drum type. VW designed them differently not without a reason! Overall I would say my drums were not bad but discs are good.😁

Final impressions:
Honestly speaking, the improvement in braking is not extraordinary for the kind of money and efforts you put. But on the brighter side, yes high speed braking has vastly improved, aesthetically look better than drums and most importantly my AFS issue was fixed to factory level! which was the very reason for axle change and discs just followed... and why not😉
a win-win situation.😍

With this upgrade, I conclude mods on my little 6R. Now I will concentrate on T-roc mods.. another exciting journey 😊

I wrote this post in detail with lot of pictures so can help someone. My heartfelt thanks to iichel for helping me to source critical parts.🤝
A special thanks to my dear friend Sheetal for motivating me and
also many thanks to CNK, Nikhil and Slavik for all the suggestions/help.. ❤️👌

Namaste 🙏
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Thanks for sharing. 8)
🙏
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Well done patil, beautiful job, nice write up. Enjoy your improved braking.
ag69
Silver Member
Drives: 1.2TSi 77Kw 7DSG

Post by ag69 »

Very nice patil.
Good to see 6R again.
Rear axles are different? or just changed to newer/less milage one?
patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

ciclo wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:03 am Thanks for sharing. 8)
🙏
Learning from you dear Master.. Thank you :)

iichel wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:57 am Well done patil, beautiful job, nice write up. Enjoy your improved braking.
iichel you did what best you could do for me.. thank you so much.❤️🙏
patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

ag69 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:28 am Very nice patil.
Good to see 6R again.
Rear axles are different? or just changed to newer/less milage one?
Thank you ag69 🙏
Yes, the rear axles are different. Please read again the starting part of my post. :wink:
ag69
Silver Member

Post by ag69 »

Yes Patil -- read again ( and would be read multiple times)
I could locate a lot of scrap dealers in your location so lucky you. I know it is not easy to find parts as well as get them in good shape and quickly. So lucky you :)
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

patil wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:50 pm

Now if we notice the glide pins carefully in above picture🧐, 1 pair is different from the other by design!
Now the question arose, which pin goes where into the carrier? According to the manufacturer, if the callipers are installed rear facing.. the glide pin with 3 horizontal circles goes on top and vertically sliced pin goes at the bottom& vice-versa if the callipers are installed front facing. For 6R, the callipers are installed rear facing so I followed the former. See below(credits to author from drive2).
Thank you for this, I was having issues with my rear brakes since i got the car. And All was put new by mechanic ( calipers, pads, discs) and the pads weren't touching the disc.
Decided to disassemble the carrier, clean and paint.
IMG_20221129_185949.jpg
IMG_20221129_185949.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 1496 times
Put new pads, and guess what the pins were rotated not in correct position. Fingers crossed now it will work!
patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

Hello dear friends🖐️

It's been a while I haven't written anything about my 6R. After I bought T-roc, my dear wife robbed my little 6R and now effectively I am just a passenger in my 6R.😅

Few updates:

8th year/120000 km service done. ✅

Apart from regular oil service and filter changes, spark plugs and ribbed belt were replaced. Also got fixed the external air filter for cabin, Which I had bought from AliExpress. No pictures of installation as it was done by dealer during service.

New tyres:

Replaced wornout Michelin primacy 4 to Continental UC6. Michelin tyres served me well for 75000 km, with little more tread remaining before I decided to replace them. Wanted to put Michelin's again but they were no longer available. Loved Michelin's for low road noise and good grip with excellent driving comfort.👌

Few snaps before driving off after service: welcome monsoon😍

Time to reflect..

A small comparison of my little 6R with big brother T-roc. I know it's absurd to compare, but I can't resist comparing after driving both.

Desi style puja😁

Ride quality and handling: My 6R has better ride comfort than T-roc, probably 17" wheels in T-roc to blame for firmer ride quality. But T-roc handles corners and bad roads better.

DSG DQ 200: I like the way DSG upshifts gears in 6R than T-roc, even though same DQ200 gearbox is fitted in both. I felt the upshift is more aggressive in 6R, where as DSG in T-roc is more relaxed. The infamous D1-D2 jerks is still evident in T-roc, may be it's a inherent weakness of DSG.

HBA/FLA: 7E0 camera (retrofitted with help from dear master ciclo🙏) in 6R works slightly better than A5 multitasking camera in T-roc. 7E0 camera response time is tad bit quicker than A5 camera. Also there are no much settings in A5 camera to adjust, where as 7E0 standalone camera has plethora of settings to play with. For eg; I can adjust the speed for HBA activation in 7E0 camera at any speed I desire, but in T-roc it's fixed at 58km/hr.

Headlights: Oh I love those led projector headlights of T-roc.😎 OEM bixenons of Polo are simply incomparable. VW has well soughted the colour temperature of leds in T-roc, at around 5000k, warm white light is soothing to eyes. Two seperate led modules for low and high beam in T-roc gives a very effective and long range of light throw. Above that I have installed powerfull led fog lights and adapted them to work as additional high beams.. the total output is collosal! yes I specifically made this setup to teach the foolish habitual highbeamers to behave.. just one flash.. everyone will fall in line.. ha ha I love it, rather I enjoy it😁
That being said, the bixenons are no bad either, they just simply can't catch up with led's. My OE bixenons in 6R reminds me of humble beginnings.☺️

Braking: Braking in my 6R has vastly improved after rear drum to disc upgrade. A senior technician at dealer was quick enough to point that my 6R braking is much better than Polo's and Vento's regular rear drums they test drive. I am really happy that I did the upgrade. Braking is not to T-roc level but it is almost there👌My heartfelt thanks to dear friend iichel for helping me upgrade rear brakes🙏

Kessy & Electronic parking brake: These T-roc features have spoiled me. These two features hits me hard when I get to drive 6R occasionally 😄 technologically advanced features can sometimes be annoying like start-stop shutting off engine before car halts completely, coasting while driving downhill.. it's kind of love-hate relationship you develop with them.😜

Rattling issues and cabin noise: While comparing with my 8 year old 6R, it is distinctively evident that the plastic trims quality used by VW in their new cars is awful. Clear evidence of cutting corners by VW!!!
My old 6R doesn't make a single sound inside the cabin, where as in T-roc there are too many! All the four interior door handles make creaking sounds in my T-roc😠 What's Saving grace in T-roc is excellent filtering of ambient noise compared to 6R.

Wife's new found love: After forcefully acquiring my 6R, she is loving 6R over her boring manual Hyundai i20 diesel😄 which now she gifted it to her younger brother. Of all the mods I did in my little 6R, only vanity mirror lights and frameless HBA mirror she likes.. typical ladies 😁 and 8K OPS feature she hates the most.. it drives her crazy in traffic stops..😂... I had to disable it . I am happy that our 6R remains with me as a family member forever under my watch while my wife enjoys it. After all the things I did and learnt from my 6R over years, it's hard to sell or put a value on something close to your heart.❤️

There is one thing which remains to be resolved in my little 6R.. a curious case of blowing SB21 with malfunctioning boot unlock mechanism. I will post with tests and details soon in my next post.

Thank you 🙏

---------
PS: Post slightly edited to give credits to dear friend!
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Good reflections. Nice cars. Great picture! 8)
We have to resolve the issue of the SB21 fuse.😉

🙏
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

SB21, along with other fuses, and via a supply bar in the SB fuse box, receives a 30+ power signal from fuse SA3 (battery).
The original fuse assigned in SB21 is 10A.

6R_IND

The output of the fuse is a wire with a section of 1.0mm2 which feeds the BCM through pin T73a/66.

The BCM uses/sends this power, when required, for all factory interior lights via pin T73a/65.

Since the SB21 fuse blows and the trunk/boot lid opening mechanism fails, and since you have the RVC installed, it occurs to me that maybe you used this +30 signal to feed the RVC and therefore the E234 rear lid handle release button... 🤔 :?:
... in addition to other electrical installations such as interior trunk lights, etc... which could exceed those 10Amp. 😄

At the moment this is the only thing I can think of that could be happening.
Feed the RVC from another +30 fuse/slot.😋

---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWijx_AgPiA
ag69
Silver Member

Post by ag69 »

patil -- so nice to read your post.
and nice side by side pictures but still for me 6R is special.
Very peaceful to read no issues with DQ200 even after 6 digits odometer reading.

Best wishes to more and more running.
patil
Silver Member

Post by patil »

ciclo wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:57 pm Good reflections. Nice cars. Great picture! 8)
We have to resolve the issue of the SB21 fuse.😉

🙏
Thank you 🙏
ag69 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:31 pm patil -- so nice to read your post.
and nice side by side pictures but still for me 6R is special.
Very peaceful to read no issues with DQ200 even after 6 digits odometer reading.

Best wishes to more and more running.
Thank you 🙏