2022 polo headlight condensation

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Polo72
New
Drives: Polo Life 1.0 Tsi

2022 polo headlight condensation

Post by Polo72 »

Picked my new polo up yesterday to find both headlights have condensation in the bottom of the lights. I’ve run the car for over 1hr with the lights on and it’s still there. Is this a common issue what’s the likely that vw will warrant it. ?
I’m going to speak to the dealer today about the issue.

Thanks
Tom
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: 2022 polo headlight condensation

Post by SRGTD »

Presumably the condensation is a slight misting rather than water droplets running down the inside of the headlamp lens. A slight misting in headlamps does happen - especially if the headlamps aren’t sealed units (I don’t think the Polo’s are).

If you do a Google search on ‘condensation in brand new car's headlights’ you’ll see it’s not uncommon - especially at this time of year. I doubt the dealer will do anything unless it’s considered to be excessive - e.g. water actually running down the inside of the lenses and pooling inside the headlamp units.

It could be that when your car was being prepped prior to you collecting it, the dealer’s valeter may have been a little over enthusiastic with the pressure washer which could have created moisture build up. I’ve had slight condensation happen inside the headlamps a couple of times on a mk6 Golf I owned some years ago. That car had xenon headlamps which generate quite a lot of heat and the condensation soon dried out.

I’d say it’s nothing to be unduly concerned about and all being well it should disperse over the next few days.
Polo72
New

Post by Polo72 »

Yeah I’ve had a look and it’s fairly common. One side has cleared up so fingers x the other side clears up. It’s booked into vw for a weeks time anyway as they want to see it so we shall see what the outcome is. I do wonder if the valeting people had got a-bit excited when cleaning it to be honest.
I’m sure we will get to the bottom of it it’s nothing serious.

Tom
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

My passenger side one had severe moisture build up for about 3 months straight and it was soo bad the running water droplets could be seen behind the lens as well as the whole unit being covered in moisture. It did clear up when summer came and hasn’t come back since. Very strange, although it occurred when we had non stop rain for about 2 months back in 2021. Has not left any visible water marks inside so all is good.
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

LED headlamps don’t generate much heat in comparison with super hot old style halogens, so often show slight misting depending on the weather.

Shouldn’t show running water though.
Polo72
New

Post by Polo72 »

No definitely doesn’t show water running. To be honest one side is completely clear now and the other has a small patch so I’d say it’s clearing in time and hopefully it won’t reappear to much. Yeah your right the headlights are led and don’t really get warm like a traditional bulb so I suppose it will take longer.

Thanks
Tom
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

Assume this is the light misting that goes away? Drops are on the outside because its been raining for a good 72 hours now lol.

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

ad_182_uk wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:30 pm Assume this is the light misting that goes away? Drops are on the outside because its been raining for a good 72 hours now lol.

Light misting is normal. Had it occasionally on a mk6 Golf GTD - headlights on that car were xenon’s and unlike LED headlamps, the xenon’s generated quite a lot of heat, so any misting always dried out very quickly.

Over zealous use of a pressure washer can cause condensation/ misting inside headlamps. I rarely use a pressure washer on my current car and it’s also always garaged when not being used. From memory, I’ve never experienced misting inside the headlights in 39 months of running ownership.

Don’t know if you ever venture over onto the forum board for the previous generation Polo, but there’s a current discussion thread with a picture of some pretty bad condensation inside an LED headlamp - much worse than a light misting. Link below;

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?t=78969