am i using manual mode wrong ?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
LEEA123
Getting There!
Drives: none

am i using manual mode wrong ?

Post by LEEA123 »

Hi all, so trying the different driving modes at moment, Thought I would try the paddles. Is there a mode i need to switch to keep in manual mode at all? I have just been using the paddles when in drive, and I get the manual mode it does seem to drop back into drive on its own very easily. Probably a user error on my end.?
The Cardinal
New
Drives: RS3, Transporter, Fabia

Re: am i using manual mode wrong ?

Post by The Cardinal »

It depends on the DSG setup. I don't have my Polo yet, but suspect it's the same DQ200 DSG as my current Fabia where you can't do much to over-ride the tendency for it to go back to auto mode.

On something like my old Audi S3s, you push the shift lever across to the left to keep the car in manual model, and can use paddle shifters or the lever itself to manually change gear. Even better, my current RS3 won't shift up or down at all once in manual mode - I can't believe that literally no other VAG products offer this.

So, it probably isn't user error. At least you get paddle shifters on the Polo, which gives you some greater flexibility than on many other DQ200 DSG applications.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@LEEA123 - As@The Cardinal has said, move the selector lever to the left and you’ll be in manual mode and it’ll stay that way until you move the lever back to the right. You can then use either the paddles on the steering wheel to change gear or the selector lever.

No error on your part with manual mode reverting back to drive when you just use the steering wheel paddles; that’s the way it’s designed to work. I normally leave my pre facelift GTI+ in drive, and then use the steering wheel paddles if I want to temporarily override the behaviour of the DSG - e.g. when approaching a roundabout so I have control of when to change gear rather than the DSG changing up too early while I’m manoeuvring around - and existing from - the roundabout.
LEEA123
Getting There!
Drives: none

Post by LEEA123 »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:53 pm @LEEA123 - As@The Cardinal has said, move the selector lever to the left and you’ll be in manual mode and it’ll stay that way until you move the lever back to the right. You can then use either the paddles on the steering wheel to change gear or the selector lever.

No error on your part with manual mode reverting back to drive when you just use the steering wheel paddles; that’s the way it’s designed to work. I normally leave my pre facelift GTI+ in drive, and then use the steering wheel paddles if I want to temporarily override the behaviour of the DSG - e.g. when approaching a roundabout so I have control of when to change gear rather than the DSG changing up too early while I’m manoeuvring around - and existing from - the roundabout.
Thank you all, I just tried mine, and my dsg moves to the right, which puts me in full manual mode, which is what I was looking for . I just having a play about at moment to learn the car and its features. Now just to work out why i get arrows in the middle of the dash for directions with apple car play sat nav. The dealer said that's normal when using the apple nav. It's no big deal can just change it back to my preferred road sign display in the middle. Thanks all
Andy D
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTi + in Flash Red

Post by Andy D »

LEEA123 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:27 pm
SRGTD wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:53 pm @LEEA123 - As@The Cardinal has said, move the selector lever to the left and you’ll be in manual mode and it’ll stay that way until you move the lever back to the right. You can then use either the paddles on the steering wheel to change gear or the selector lever.

Thank you all, I just tried mine, and my dsg moves to the right, which puts me in full manual mode, which is what I was looking for . I just having a play about at moment to learn the car and its features. Now just to work out why i get arrows in the middle of the dash for directions with apple car play sat nav. The dealer said that's normal when using the apple nav. It's no big deal can just change it back to my preferred road sign display in the middle. Thanks all
The DSG will still override the manual setting so as to prevent damage from over revving :)
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

Andy D wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:57 pm
LEEA123 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:27 pm

The DSG will still override the manual setting so as to prevent damage from over revving :)
Indeed.

The days of “finding the Rev Limit” are gone. Testing how the Rev limiter behaved.

Some Rev limiters had a soft cut out, while others were fierce with the car standing on it’s nose.

Now it’s impossible, but I do know the auto shift up comes at 6,000 RPM on our GTI.

Best tested in a lower gear, else you’d be doing a silly speed.